The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks [2017]
PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 1:59 pm 
The Master

I still haven't finished the original series. :?

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 4:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

It's been a long time since I rewatched. I should do that soon.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 4:16 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

TV seasons are just too damn long. Filler seems inevitable. I really enjoyed the first few episodes but once it started dragging its feet like every other show I lost interest.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 4:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

TV seasons are just too damn long. Filler seems inevitable. I really enjoyed the first few episodes but once it started dragging its feet like every other show I lost interest.

Yeah, the entire first season (only 7 episodes) is outstanding, front to back. Once David and Mark took a backseat it started to flounder. The final run of episodes gets back to its original glory. But I won't pretend that every episode is good, let alone great. But the whole experience is greater than the sum of its parts. Totally worth the journey.

And since David and Mark both wrote and David directed every bit of S3, I have no doubt in my mind that it'll be one the greatest things ever put on TV.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 4:59 pm 
AnalLog

I think the big issue with season 2 is that ABC forced them to reveal Laura's killer earlier than they intended to. The Windom Earl plot and the other minor subplots failed to give the show a life beyond the original plot.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 5:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mine wrote:
I think the big issue with season 2 is that ABC forced them to reveal Laura's killer earlier than they intended to. The Windom Earl plot and the other minor subplots failed to give the show a life beyond the original plot.

That certainly had a lot to do with it, too.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 5:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Even the awful late series arcs have grown to hold a certain stupid charm for me. I love this show so much.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 5:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
Even the awful late series arcs have grown to hold a certain stupid charm for me. I love this show so much.

Me too friend. I just think it's one of the best things I've ever seen on TV and I'm over the moon that it's back!

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 5:08 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I happened upon an Apple Music playlist the other day called "The Pink Room," containing that track from Fire Walk With Me and a bunch of songs both modern and classic that would have fit in with that universe. I got so excited just hearing the drums on "The Pink Room" that I re-watched the entire series again.

Fantastic playlist from start to finish, FYI. Joey, you'd love it. http://mixing.io/playlist/apple-music-a ... -pink-room

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 5:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
I happened upon an Apple Music playlist the other day called "The Pink Room," containing that track from Fire Walk With Me and a bunch of songs both modern and classic that would have fit in with that universe. I got so excited just hearing the drums on "The Pink Room" that I re-watched the entire series again.

Fantastic playlist from start to finish, FYI. Joey, you'd love it. http://mixing.io/playlist/apple-music-a ... -pink-room

:luv:

Imma give that a spin!

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 5:19 pm 
The Master

This has always been my favorite Twin Peaks thing:

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 5:31 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mine wrote:

The thing is the solution to the mystery went beyond just revealing a killer. It creates a situation that is impossible to follow linearly because the viewer ends up having too much information to keep being interested.

The 2 seasons should have been about the Laura mystery and following seasons could have been the BOB origin story or something similar that still explores the same world without having to peak up in time where it left.

Lynch did Fire Walk With Me which wasn't received very well so i'm not sure him and Frost being more involved would have been enough to save the show.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 5:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mine wrote:

The thing is the solution to the mystery went beyond just revealing a killer. It creates a situation that is impossible to follow linearly because the viewer ends up having too much information to keep being interested.

The 2 seasons should have been about the Laura mystery and following seasons could have been the BOB origin story or something similar that still explores the same world without having to peak up in time where it left.

Lynch did Fire Walk With Me which wasn't received very well so i'm not sure him and Frost being more involved would have been enough to save the show.

Here's where we disagree. Twin Peaks was at its best when both of those guys were involved. One without the other, or the show without either isn't Twin Peaks.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 6:47 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mine wrote:

Here's where we disagree. Twin Peaks was at its best when both of those guys were involved. One without the other, or the show without either isn't Twin Peaks.

I think we actually agree.
The murder mystery was a huge part of the show's appeal.
I think the network interfering with their vision for the show caused them to lose interest and created a situation (the reveal) that wasn't supposed to happen. This took the show in a direction Frost and Lynch didn't intend it go which is why i think the show wasn't able to recover, at least in the ratings.

So yeah, Twin Peaks works best when both of them are in control.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 8:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mine wrote:

I think we actually agree.
The murder mystery was a huge part of the show's appeal.
I think the network interfering with their vision for the show caused them to lose interest and created a situation (the reveal) that wasn't supposed to happen. This took the show in a direction Frost and Lynch didn't intend it go which is why i think the show wasn't able to recover, at least in the ratings.

So yeah, Twin Peaks works best when both of them are in control.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 9:32 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I definitely think the original run of Twin Peaks would've worked more successfully, and been easier for David and Mark to manage, had the network had the foresight to let them stick with seven or eight tightly-focused episodes per series (like the flawless first series).

I'm also vibrating with excitement at the idea of more Badalamenti-penned Twin Peaks music.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 9:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
I definitely think the original run of Twin Peaks would've worked more successfully, and been easier for David and Mark to manage, had the network had the foresight to let them stick with seven or eight tightly-focused episodes per series (like the flawless first series).

I'm also vibrating with excitement at the idea of more Badalamenti-penned Twin Peaks music.

Aw huh

Speeno GETS it.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 9:41 pm 

The release of the 'Twin Peaks Archive', every piece of music recorded for the original series and film, is one of my favourite things to have happened in the last few years.

PostPosted: Tue April 26, 2016 11:43 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

I celebrate the entire TP catalogue regardless of season.

PostPosted: Wed April 27, 2016 12:48 am 

This is a helpful annotated guide to the new cast: https://li.st/l/7OFGXAFnJZE4yESJCGgC8B

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment