The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks [2017]
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 8:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Also... the in memory of... choked me up. I feel like I still can't deal with Bowie being gone. Still miss him tremendously.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 10:22 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

durdencommatyler wrote:
So... is bloody face (in the Twin Peaks jail cell) Billy?

That was my thought during the girls conversation.

PostPosted: Tue August 15, 2017 1:15 am 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
parasolmonster wrote:
I'm curious to see how the strange timeline actually plays out. Personally I hope it is explained, but I could also see it being a situation like Kubrick's impossible rooms in The Shining - something there to purposefully create a sense of unease and confusion.

Same.

Speaking of weird shit...

I didn't notice this but saw online today... did you guys notice Big Ed's reflection in the closing scene? Ed's drinking soup. He sets the soup down and sits completely still. Then something catch's his eye. He looks out at the gas pumps and the cars driving by. It's an over the shoulder shot. We see Ed sitting completely still. But his reflection between the two pumps lifts the soup to his mouth and drinks.

It's choppy. It could just be a weird editing thing. But it looks completely intentional. And it almost looks like that's what catch's Ed's attention in the first place. Does he see that? Is that what makes him burn the match book? It's so weird. And I totally missed it when I watched the episode.

I probably read the same article, I was staring intently at that scene and felt something aloof but didn't place it that evening; Dunham won an Emmy for editing and I doubt Lynch would have it, it is intentional.

PostPosted: Tue August 15, 2017 2:35 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Do you really want to fuck with this?

What the fuck? The hand in her face? Had a black ring finger 'spirit mound'

The mouth? The fuck was that?

PostPosted: Tue August 15, 2017 3:16 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

washing machine wrote:
This episode felt like a Roberto Bolano novel.

Now you're speaking my language.

PostPosted: Tue August 15, 2017 4:48 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Oh yeah

PostPosted: Tue August 15, 2017 10:35 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Saw this posted elsewhere, really underscores the emotional resonance of the Bobby/Major Briggs storyline:

Quote:
Lynch was born in Missoula, Montana in 1946, and brought up in various places around the US, depending on where his father's job as a research scientist for the Department of Agriculture took him.

"I think his happiest time," Lynch says of his dad, "was when he had the Boise National Experimental Forest. A whole forest to experiment with! Things like erosion, bugs – so many different kinds of bugs – disease … And I loved going into that wood. There were little stands with little houses on the stands, and you'd open up the door and there'd be all kinds of weather equipment in there – little read-outs. It was really kind of great."

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:21 pm 
A Return To Form

- On my way home from Paris yesterday I flew over the approximate location of Buckhorn, South Dakota. I found it funny how excited I was to fly over a fictional town.

- If a time traveler had travelled to the early 90s and told Twin Peaks fans that there would indeed be a third season, that Bobby Briggs would be the hero, Ben Horne would be likable, and Sarah Palmer would reach Bob levels of terror - the time traveler would be laughed out of the room. Yet, here we are and it is working so, so well.

- I've had to watch the last two episodes on my phone, so I'm very excited to be home now so i can watch the show on an actual television!

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 7:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'll be out of the country this Sunday. So I won't be able to catch up until Tuesday night. I'm so glad this last episode was so strong because it'll tide me over nicely.

parasolmonster, I'm glad you'll get to watch this next one on a real screen. Hopefully, you'll have time to go back and watch the last two again as well. Lynch should be seen on the biggest and best screen you can find.

I'd kill to have some of this season shown in a theater.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 8:26 pm 
A Return To Form

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'll be out of the country this Sunday. So I won't be able to catch up until Tuesday night. I'm so glad this last episode was so strong because it'll tide me over nicely.

parasolmonster, I'm glad you'll get to watch this next one on a real screen. Hopefully, you'll have time to go back and watch the last two again as well. Lynch should be seen on the biggest and best screen you can find.

I whole-heartedly agree. The bigger the screen, the better. However, one advantage with my phone is that I'm usually wearing headphones. Lynch's sound design is fantastic.

I've gotta say/brag, it was really cole to have been walking the streets of Paris during the day and then that night seeing Gordon Cole's Monica Belluci dream that takes place in Paris. My wife and I were there celebrating our tenth anniversary, so it was one extra thing that made the trip even better!

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 8:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

parasolmonster wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I whole-heartedly agree. The bigger the screen, the better. However, one advantage with my phone is that I'm usually wearing headphones. Lynch's sound design is fantastic.

I've gotta say/brag, it was really cole to have been walking the streets of Paris during the day and then that night seeing Gordon Cole's Monica Belluci dream that takes place in Paris. My wife and I were there celebrating our tenth anniversary, so it was one extra thing that made the trip even better!

That's so awesome. I adore Paris. Congratulations on 10 years. Also awesome.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 10:34 pm 
A Return To Form

durdencommatyler wrote:
parasolmonster wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

That's so awesome. I adore Paris. Congratulations on 10 years. Also awesome.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 5:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Congrats, Parasol. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

You know what sucks about this season? After it's over we can't stream it anymore.

Really hoping for some sort of deluxe box with more Missing Pieces. On the other hand, it might be kind of cool in an ephemeral way to spend the rest of our lives pondering if any of it ever really happened at all.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

There better be a "complete" boxed set with all of it. First season, second season, Fire Walk With Me, Missing Pieces, More Missing Pieces, Log Lady Intros, Special Features, Making Of all of it, Third Season, and on blu-ray AND 4K and all of it by Christmas.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 7:30 pm 
A Return To Form

washing machine wrote:
You know what sucks about this season? After it's over we can't stream it anymore.

Really hoping for some sort of deluxe box with more Missing Pieces. On the other hand, it might be kind of cool in an ephemeral way to spend the rest of our lives pondering if any of it ever really happened at all.

For real? That sucks. I had to beg my wife for us to get Showtime just long enough for the show to air. I hope they get this season out in stores quickly. I'm really looking forward to watching the whole Twin Peaks experience in order once this current season has finished.

Has anyone read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer or The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper? I tracked those down along with Cooper's audiotape book. I listened to the audiotape book while on a run. It's mostly stuff from the first 1 and half seasons with a few extras thrown in. I had forgotten from the show and was reminded on the audiobook that Cooper says that gambling is his vice. It makes Dougie's current situation just a little bit deeper and more interesting.
I'm curious what others have thought because I'm in the middle of reading The Stand so I'm probably not going to get to these others for a little while.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 8:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I watched The Bomb on Netflix yesterday. Anyone seen it, yet? It's a visually astonishing sound and picture collage of militaries, nuclear weaponry and fallout.

Obvious parallels between that documentary and The Return Part 8, but what I was most struck by was how closely the golden age of Modern America (40s and 50s suburbs, intact family units, white picket fences) was connected to fear, paranoia and destruction. I've always loved how Lynch shows evil lurking just beneath beauty, but the real life context of nuclear war makes that concept hit harder than the broad concept I previously thought about when watching this stuff.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 8:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
There better be a "complete" boxed set with all of it. First season, second season, Fire Walk With Me, Missing Pieces, More Missing Pieces, Log Lady Intros, Special Features, Making Of all of it, Third Season, and on blu-ray AND 4K and all of it by Christmas.

Plus the "European Pilot" movie. Include that shit, too.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 9:13 am 
10Club Complaint Department

This is great: ‘I Love Winds’: David Lynch on the Sound of ‘Twin Peaks’

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment