The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks [2017]
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:54 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

wease wrote:
Teeeeeekay wrote:
wease wrote:
Ha ha! The pine weasel!

What's this now?

About 2/3 thru the second season.

Haha. Not remembering. Seems to happen a lot with this show.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:19 pm 
The Master

is this something i can watch with having no familiarity with it?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:02 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Strat wrote:

I think you'd need at least a primer on the original series before jumping into this. Maybe some others could jump in with points I've missed? (granted, I've only watched the first two of the new season, and it's been a few years since I watched the original) Only read below the spoiler tag if you want to know what happened in the first two seasons, and I'm trying to paint with really broad strokes:

Spoiler: show
In the first season, FBI agent Dale Cooper is sent to Twin Peaks, Oregon to investigate the murder of Laura Palmer, a teen beauty who was well liked in the small town. As he investigates her killing, he discovers two things: (1) that the all-American, cheery facade of the town hides deep, dark secrets, and (2) that the woods outside the town also contain a portal to another dimension known as the Black Lodge. In the 2nd season, it's revealed that Laura was killed by her father, but he was actually possessed by a spirit from the Black Lodge named Bob; by the end of the 2nd season, it seems like Cooper has brought nearly everything in Twin Peaks back to order, but on his last trip to the Black Lodge, he had become possessed by Bob, the same spirit that murdered Laura Palmer--the "real" Dale Cooper, we're led to believe, is stuck in the Black Lodge. And the series just sort of ended there on that cliffhanger.

Am I missing anything? As I said, broad strokes.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:54 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
New York Times wrote:
There are shades of “Lost” in that glass mystery box — especially when it eventually fills with a murderous apparition in black smoke. There’s more than a little “Fargo” in the darkly funny subplot in which a South Dakota man (Matthew Lillard) may have committed murder, à la Leland Palmer, under paranormal influence. There may be too much of “True Detective” and other hard-boiled kill-dramas in the journey of Evil Cooper, which culminates in his murdering his lingerie-clad partner (Nicole LaLiberté) in bed.

Of course, it’s ridiculous to suggest that “Twin Peaks” is borrowing these elements so much as borrowing them back.

Probably exactly what The Chromatics were thinking when they got picked to play over the credits of the premiere. Classic case of who influenced who? Loving these ending credit music cameos a lot, by the way. Was anyone already familiar with the Cactus Blossoms?

No! But I fucking love them now.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:58 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

parasolmonster wrote:
washing machine wrote:
New York Times wrote:
There are shades of “Lost” in that glass mystery box — especially when it eventually fills with a murderous apparition in black smoke. There’s more than a little “Fargo” in the darkly funny subplot in which a South Dakota man (Matthew Lillard) may have committed murder, à la Leland Palmer, under paranormal influence. There may be too much of “True Detective” and other hard-boiled kill-dramas in the journey of Evil Cooper, which culminates in his murdering his lingerie-clad partner (Nicole LaLiberté) in bed.

Of course, it’s ridiculous to suggest that “Twin Peaks” is borrowing these elements so much as borrowing them back.

Probably exactly what The Chromatics were thinking when they got picked to play over the credits of the premiere. Classic case of who influenced who? Loving these ending credit music cameos a lot, by the way. Was anyone already familiar with the Cactus Blossoms?

So far this has been my first introduction to all of the bands. Lynch has great taste in music.

I called up my mom today to talk about last night's episodes. We were talking about how great the bands at the Bang Bang Bar have been. I mentioned how I assume that Eddie Vedder and Trent Reznor will all be performers at the bar at some point because I can't imagine them having actual roles in the show. She responded with, "How could Eddie remember lines when he can't even remember the lyrics to his own songs?"

:haha:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:00 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:

Do not under any circumstances watch this current season of Twin Peaks before watching the previous seasons and the feature film, Fire Walk With Me.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:41 am 
10Club Complaint Department

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Do not under any circumstances watch this current season of Twin Peaks before watching the previous seasons and the feature film, Fire Walk With Me.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:43 am 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Agreed.

Okay then. Somebody link me up to all this stuff. I am completely in the dark with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:00 am 
Major Dude

Strat wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Agreed.

Okay then. Somebody link me up to all this stuff. I am completely in the dark with it.

The original series is currently on both Netflix and Hulu. I've not been able to find Fire Walk With Me anywhere online. I guess I'm gonna have to break down and order it from Amazon.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:29 am 
A Return To Form

wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Agreed.

The original series is currently on both Netflix and Hulu. I've not been able to find Fire Walk With Me anywhere online. I guess I'm gonna have to break down and order it from Amazon.

If I'm not mistaken, if you have Showtime, it is available on the Showtime app.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:03 am 
A Return To Form

Did anyone else notice this?

So the story goes that Nadine lost her eye during a hunting mishap with Big Ed Hurley. You can also make the logic jump that her super-strength has something to do with the Black Lodge and all the other weird stuff about town.

This season we've seen Dopplecoop shoot two other people in the exact same eye as Nadine. There is no way that is mere coincidence. Maybe Big Ed was momentarily taken over by Bob? Or maybe Bob tried and failed to kill Nadine by shooting her in his apparent trademark style?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I've certainly noticed the eyes as a theme, yes. But I hadn't connected any of that to Ed and Nadine in the way you're doing in your post. That's interesting. I wonder if it's too much "trying to make sense of David Lynch" though.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I try not to look too hard for meaning with things like that. I'd rather just experience it as one weird dream or the imagined happenings in a parallel universe.

I can't help but getting sucked into pet theories when I read them, though. That eye thing is an interesting one. When I read it, I immediately thought of Laura winking to Cooper in the original finale.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

"Is it future...or is it past?"

This is my favorite lodge riddle so far. I don't think there's any sort of time travel at play here. I hope not. Still, this little riddle does a lot for me when thinking about how fucking disorienting all of this is. Old Cooper in the original dream, old Cooper now... That whole Jeffries thing in FWWM... Identical crimes like Teresa Banks and Laura Palmer happening years apart... The town of Twin Peaks seems permanently stuck in the 1950s. Rather than time travel, this show gives you the sense that time simply doesn't exist around the Black Lodge.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
I try not to look too hard for meaning with things like that. I'd rather just experience it as one weird dream or the imagined happenings in a parallel universe.

I can't help but getting sucked into pet theories when I read them, though. That eye thing is an interesting one. When I read it, I immediately thought of Laura winking to Cooper in the original finale.

Now... THAT is interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Now... THAT is interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Great, now I'm horny.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'm caught up now, and I'm firmly in the camp of not over-analyzing what we've seen so far. There have been so many scenes that oh-so-Lynchingly unsettling that I feel like the series has been a hit for me so far, even though I feel like some of the extended scenes have gone on a bit too long. Loved the portrait of Kafka in Cole's office.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm one of those people that just never wants any David Lynch scene to end. I can't imagine a scene of his that "goes on too long."

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm one of those people that just never wants any David Lynch scene to end. I can't imagine a scene of his that "goes on too long."

I do love those scenes that just streeeeeeeetch and fuck with your perception of how long you've been watching, how much attention you can keep, and so on--like almost anything in the Black Lodge, or the great scene with "Dougie" and his son at the breakfast table. But the scene with Michael Cera, for instance, dragged in a way where I just ended up bored. They ain't all hits, but the great ones are just so damn great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment