The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks [2017]
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm gonna start a list of questions/things to track as I rewatch this.

But right now. For those who have watched the first two and only the first two...

Spoiler: show
Um... did Evil Cooper (or Daleperganger, as I'm calling him because I'm too fucking clever for my own good) think he was talking to PHILLIP FUCKING JEFFRIES?! Did I hear that right? Holy shit! And if it wasn't Jeffries (and I think it's safe to assume it was NOT) then who the fuck was he really talking to?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:08 pm 
A Return To Form

I guess I'm going to have to learn how to do the spoiler thingie for this thread. Until then, I will say that over the past few years the determining factor of whether or not I like a movie or TV show depends on if I'm still thinking about it the next day.

I cannot stop thinking about that box.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:46 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Just finished the first one, and yeah...this is Twin Peaks for sure. Im so happy.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:55 am 
10Club Complaint Department

VinylGuy wrote:
Just finished the first one, and yeah...this is Twin Peaks for sure. Im so happy.

Me too, VG.

I can barely wait to watch the second episode tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:03 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Birds in Hell wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Me too, VG.

I can barely wait to watch the second episode tonight.

Ill have dinner, relax a little bit and go for the second one.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:19 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I've now watched the first 2 episodes twice. And... HOLY FUCKING SHIT. This thing is the goddamn truth.

This might be Lynch's magnum opus.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Just finished the second one.
Ok, so Coop has been locked for 25 years and his doplegang has been out doing fucked up stuff...thats about the only thing i got

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:18 am 
A Return To Form

Apparently I just had to go to the desktop version of the site in order to post spoilers.
Here are a few of my thoughts:

1) Seeing the Log Lady was heartbreaking. Knowing that she was very close to death in real life, I applaud them for not sticking her in a wig and acting like she was fine. It never dawned on me until last night, but I think that what works so well about her character is that the concept of the Log Lady is so ridiculous, but what makes it work is that she plays it with absolute sincerity. It gives such a goofy character so much more depth.

2) The billionaire. I think it's Audrey. I already posted this on Reddit, but first of all, she is a Thorne so she came from a rich background. Second, she had already proven herself in season 2 to be quite adept at business. Third, it's possible that she ended up with some sort of financial settlement from what happened to her at the end of season 2 which would only add to her bank account. Finally, she already had a friendship/romantic interest in Cooper so she would be devastated by his disappearance and would have the connections and resources needed to figure out where Cooper could possibly return.

3) I'm so excited that they have already mentioned Philip Jeffries!

4) The idea of Twin Peaks without The Man From Another Place slightly worried me. Making him a talking tree is so freakishly brilliant!

5) I'm so curious where they're going with the hints that Laura Palmer is alive in some shape or form. Maybe the Laura Palmer from FWWM was a doppelgänger?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

parasolmonster wrote:
Apparently I just had to go to the desktop version of the site in order to post spoilers.

1) Seeing the Log Lady was heartbreaking. Knowing that she was very close to death in real life, I applaud them for not sticking her in a wig and acting like she was fine. It never dawned on me until last night, but I think that what works so well about her character is that the concept of the Log Lady is so ridiculous, but what makes it work is that she plays it with absolute sincerity. It gives such a goofy character so much more depth.

2) The billionaire. I think it's Audrey. I already posted this on Reddit, but first of all, she is a Thorne so she came from a rich background. Second, she had already proven herself in season 2 to be quite adept at business. Third, it's possible that she ended up with some sort of financial settlement from what happened to her at the end of season 2 which would only add to her bank account. Finally, she already had a friendship/romantic interest in Cooper so she would be devastated by his disappearance and would have the connections and resources needed to figure out where Cooper could possibly return.

4) The idea of Twin Peaks without The Man From Another Place slightly worried me. Making him a talking tree is so freakishly brilliant!

5) I'm so curious where they're going with the hints that Laura Palmer is alive in some shape or form. Maybe the Laura Palmer from FWWM was a doppelgänger?

1) Absolutely! Yes. 100%

2) This legit did NOT at all cross my mind. And I fucking LOVE it. I might be disappointed now if it's not the case. For me, I was trying to connect the New York Billionaire to the guests staying at The Great Northern. Ben Horn tells his secretary that Mrs. Houseman (sp?)and her "New York" friends help keep some of the amenities going at TGN.

3) :bammer:
But if it's NOT him, who is Mr. C talking to?!

4) And let's not forget that The Man From Another Place tells Cooper in the finale, ""When you see me again, it won't be me." Fuck.
Ing. Brill. Iant.

5) That's an interesting thought, though I'm not sure how it hangs together. Either way, yes, it'll be interesting to see how literal any of that stuff is.

Good thoughts/comments. I'm so excited to be able to talk about this in real time with fans!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:54 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I was worried that discussion of the new season would be out of control by now. Happy that's not the case. I couldn't help myself to episodes three and four.

Not really a spoiler, but I want those who haven't seen it to feel as fresh as possible. This short exchange alone was worth the wait for me:

Denise: Will Albert be with you?
Gordon Cole: Do birds fly?

Okay, actual thru part 4 spoiler:

Anyone want to talk about that Wally Brando scene? While I loved how the first three episodes were some of the most surreal and puzzling moments of the series thus far, that scene and many others in the fourth episode were kind of a relief. Its something Twin Peaks has always done so well, and I was kind of afraid that the light hearted absurdity was going to be almost totally absent from this season. This show hasn't lost a beat.

Last edited by washing machine on Tue May 23, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:57 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im watching this one through Netflix and they will show them when Showcase does, so im guessing 3 and 4 will be up next week.
very interesting thoughts on Laura Palmer´s dopel...is she out there?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Good to know about Netflix carrying this series, VG. I went for the Showtime app trial. Maybe I won't have to actually subscribe next month.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
Good to know about Netflix carrying this series, VG. I went for the Showtime app trial. Maybe I won't have to actually subscribe next month.

Pretty sure that's only in foreign markets. I think in the US, it's only on Showtime right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Is this new series worth watching if you haven't seen the first two seasons?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

15showsandcounting wrote:
Is this new series worth watching if you haven't seen the first two seasons?

Only if you're a huge Cactus Blossoms fan.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:31 pm 
A Return To Form

durdencommatyler wrote:
parasolmonster wrote:

1) Absolutely! Yes. 100%

2) This legit did NOT at all cross my mind. And I fucking LOVE it. I might be disappointed now if it's not the case. For me, I was trying to connect the New York Billionaire to the guests staying at The Great Northern. Ben Horn tells his secretary that Mrs. Houseman (sp?)and her "New York" friends help keep some of the amenities going at TGN.

3) :bammer:
But if it's NOT him, who is Mr. C talking to?!

4) And let's not forget that The Man From Another Place tells Cooper in the finale, ""When you see me again, it won't be me." Fuck.
Ing. Brill. Iant.

5) That's an interesting thought, though I'm not sure how it hangs together. Either way, yes, it'll be interesting to see how literal any of that stuff is.

Good thoughts/comments. I'm so excited to be able to talk about this in real time with fans!

4) Oh my gosh! I didn't make that connection! That alone made it soooooo much better!

I'm very excited to geek out with this in real-time too. I haven't had this much fun discussing and speculating about something since Lost ended. My wife enjoys Twin Peaks, but can only take so much of my Twin Peaks obsessiveness.

I'm really excited to read the comments on episodes 3 & 4. My wife gets home from a business trip in Thursday, so we're waiting to watch those episodes together.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

parasol wrote:
I'm really excited to read the comments on episodes 3 & 4. My wife gets home from a business trip in Thursday, so we're waiting to watch those episodes together.

I know that feeling, but I'm the opposite with this show. Fiancé has never seen an episode, so I have to wait to watch when she's NOT there.

Don't get too excited about my spoiler comments. No crazy theories or big reveals, just short observations about characters and scenes that I'd imagine those who haven't seen yet will enjoy more without knowing anything. Hope you and your wife are having fun with this show. I know I am.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Very cool theory on #5 in your spoilers, btw. I would be happy with that.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Actually, no! I wouldn't be okay with that. If for no other reason than this:

Laura's diary. Why would a Doppelgänger use a diary? I feel like it's more plausible and also more challenging to our ideas of human nature, evil and temptation to know that the real Laura is who we saw in FWWM.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
Actually, no! I wouldn't be okay with that. If for no other reason than this:

Laura's diary. Why would a Doppelgänger use a diary? I feel like it's more plausible and also more challenging to our ideas of human nature, evil and temptation to know that the real Laura is who we saw in FWWM.

It also dilutes Bob's obsession with and desire to be Laura.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment