The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks [2017]
PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 5:45 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Okay, so ...

Spoiler: show
Laura Palmer screams and gets pulled out of the Red Room. And Laura Palmer screams and gets ripped out of the woods when she's been led by Cooper. And then Carrie/Laura screams outside the house at the end. Is is possible that all three of those events are happening simultaneously? Temporally, could they all be happening at the same time? Three screams. Three different times and places. Interesting...

And if they are the same event?

I don't know, exactly what it would mean. But it's an interesting thought, still. Maybe a way to tie all the timelines together and put everything back in one place? Is that even necessary?

One of the videos I watched pointed out that when Carrie/Laura screams at the end, electricity fills the house and all the lights explode and go out. They posit that this is Laura winning and defeating Judy and freeing the house from her evil and corruption.

That's not something that I'd really considered before.

I suppose we don't really need spoiler tags at this point but I am curious as to how you'd answer:
Who killed Laura Palmer?

Leland Palmer, under the influence of Bob, killed Laura

I haven't revisited it much lately but I did a lot after seeing the conclusion of the series. And I must say that this show has always sat somewhere in the back of my psyche since I originally saw it, it is a tremendous piece of work. That said:
I do not subscribe to your answer.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 5:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Okay, so ...

Laura Palmer screams and gets pulled out of the Red Room. And Laura Palmer screams and gets ripped out of the woods when she's been led by Cooper. And then Carrie/Laura screams outside the house at the end. Is is possible that all three of those events are happening simultaneously? Temporally, could they all be happening at the same time? Three screams. Three different times and places. Interesting...

I don't know, exactly what it would mean. But it's an interesting thought, still. Maybe a way to tie all the timelines together and put everything back in one place? Is that even necessary?

One of the videos I watched pointed out that when Carrie/Laura screams at the end, electricity fills the house and all the lights explode and go out. They posit that this is Laura winning and defeating Judy and freeing the house from her evil and corruption.

I suppose we don't really need spoiler tags at this point but I am curious as to how you'd answer:
Who killed Laura Palmer?

I haven't revisited it much lately but I did a lot after seeing the conclusion of the series. And I must say that this show has always sat somewhere in the back of my psyche since I originally saw it, it is a tremendous piece of work. That said:

I'd love to hear your answer, sir.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 6:00 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Okay, so ...

Who killed Laura Palmer?

I'd love to hear your answer, sir.

Little busy here at work so I'll just go with the final answer without the caveats to causation, entities, motive etc...
Dale Cooper

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 6:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I've definitely seen others with the same take.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 6:09 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:

I started a rewatch (for me) with a lady friend (first time) with that conclusion in mind and really liked how it was coming together... but that relationship dissolved and thus the attempt was placed on the back-burner. I'll revisit the whole series at some point though.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 6:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I started a rewatch (for me) with a lady friend (first time) with that conclusion in mind and really liked how it was coming together... but that relationship dissolved and thus the attempt was placed on the back-burner. I'll revisit the whole series at some point though.

It's a show I'll definitely revisit a lot in my life. I love how complex and strange and open the show is. I think there are many different explanations one could draw from it, all supported by various scenes.

The take you shared isn't one I'm a particular fan of, personally. It doesn't really hold water for me. But I love that you're able to see it and support it and enjoy it. The show is such an impressive piece of art and our differences support that, I think.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 6:30 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

It's a show I'll definitely revisit a lot in my life. I love how complex and strange and open the show is. I think there are many different explanations one could draw from it, all supported by various scenes.

The take you shared isn't one I'm a particular fan of, personally. It doesn't really hold water for me. But I love that you're able to see it and support it and enjoy it. The show is such an impressive piece of art and our differences support that, I think.

I had a feeling you would lean that way and many feel that it can mitigate a lot of the enchantment of the series, I obviously disagree but as to the bold, absolutely.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 6:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I had a feeling you would lean that way and many feel that it can mitigate a lot of the enchantment of the series, I obviously disagree but as to the bold, absolutely.

I think the fact that the question was originally never meant to be answered, that Frost and Lynch didn't create the show with an answer in mind, is meaningful and helps support a lot of different theories. And I'd imagine those two knuckleheads LOVE the fact that people debate the answer so passionately. I think that's pretty cool, too.

Art should be left open to interpretation to some degree. But there are plenty of things out there where I'm less inclined to tolerate different, varied, and/or wild interpretations with much patience or seriousness. LOST is a good example of this. I get pretty defensive when I see people say certain things about that show.

But not with Twin Peaks. I say go fucking wild with it and we can all just agree it's fun to speculate and analyse, no matter how strange or different people's takes are.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 6:44 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I think the fact that the question was originally never meant to be answered, that Frost and Lynch didn't create the show with an answer in mind, is meaningful and helps support a lot of different theories. And I'd imagine those two knuckleheads LOVE the fact that people debate the answer so passionately. I think that's pretty cool, too.

Art should be left open to interpretation to some degree. But there are plenty of things out there where I'm less inclined to tolerate different, varied, and/or wild interpretations with much patience or seriousness. LOST is a good example of this. I get pretty defensive when I see people say certain things about that show.

But not with Twin Peaks. I say go fucking wild with it and we can all just agree it's fun to speculate and analyse, no matter how strange or different people's takes are.

100%

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 11:43 pm 
A Return To Form

oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

100%

I think it was Mark Frost that said the best mysteries can’t be solved because then they’re not mysteries anymore. A compelling mystery is always one step ahead of you and the solution is right around the corner, but always eludes you. Lynch films are a perfect example of this concept.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2019 11:47 pm 
A Return To Form

My most recent interesting theory/analysis that I’ve watched

https://youtu.be/GfLPkZZKEeY

It’s a bit long and I don’t necessarily agree with all of it, but the implication that it gives about “what year is it?” is really good.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2019 4:32 am 
Future Drummer

parasolmonster wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

100%

I think it was Mark Frost that said the best mysteries can’t be solved because then they’re not mysteries anymore. A compelling mystery is always one step ahead of you and the solution is right around the corner, but always eludes you. Lynch films are a perfect example of this concept.

That is a great line.

parasolmonster wrote:

It’s a bit long and I don’t necessarily agree with all of it, but the implication that it gives about “what year is it?” is really good.

Whoever did the voice-over to that clip shoulp be dragged out in to the street, beaten to a pulp and then shot.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2019 5:35 am 
A Return To Form

oasisfan35 wrote:
parasolmonster wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

100%

That is a great line.

parasolmonster wrote:

Whoever did the voice-over to that clip shoulp be dragged out in to the street, beaten to a pulp and then shot.

:haha: Because of the analysis or the voice/demeanor?

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2019 11:41 am 
Future Drummer

parasolmonster wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
parasolmonster wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

100%

That is a great line.

parasolmonster wrote:

Whoever did the voice-over to that clip should be dragged out in to the street, beaten to a pulp and then shot.

The latter.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2019 3:09 am 
A Return To Form

oasisfan35 wrote:
parasolmonster wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
parasolmonster wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

100%

That is a great line.

parasolmonster wrote:

Whoever did the voice-over to that clip should be dragged out in to the street, beaten to a pulp and then shot.

The latter.

I had the same issue with him

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:39 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

The wife and I watched the first episode, Pilot, last night. I think I'm gonna have to watch everything Lynch has done, soon. So many things... don't know what to say... just... wow. The_Raz and I have not laughed that hard in a long time... Also, so creepy... just... so many things...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Envious of you, tree. Enjoy the ride.

I saw Ray Wise in a sitcom yesterday, now that I think about it.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2019 9:00 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I don't know if you've all seen this already but it seems there's rumblings of some further Twin Peaks-related Lynch project, summarised here: https://www.newsweek.com/twin-peaks-sea ... te-1462381

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2019 9:03 pm 
Major Dude

Where’s joe?

PostPosted: Tue November 26, 2019 7:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm finally reading The Final Dossier. I'm really digging it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment