Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Fri August 04, 2017 12:04 pm

I'll wait for the reboot in 5 years.

Mon August 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Has anybody seen this?

Mon August 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Ok I'll be the guinea pig. This is a mess, but in a boring, formulaic way.

Mon August 07, 2017 10:41 pm

This is like a fucking scifi channel movie.

Mon August 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Elba is acceptable, but Matthew McCaunawhatever is totally phoning it in.

Mon August 07, 2017 10:55 pm

I've only read the first book, but as far as I can tell, this movie has nothing to do with the books. Like, at all.

Mon August 07, 2017 11:04 pm

DNF. Took a slam instead. Much more satisfying.

Tue August 08, 2017 7:38 pm

My best friend's a huge fan of the books. He just finished watching this and sent me 40 angry messages. The term "POS" was used like 60 times. He wants to burn things.

Wed August 09, 2017 1:57 am

I have a feeling this movie is going to be WAY better for non-fanboi's.

Sun August 13, 2017 11:23 pm

I'm not sure why the movie is getting such piss poor reviews. It was good and rather fun. I'm not sure why it was only 95 mins long. The seriously minimized and somewhat nonsensical plot really would've benefited from another half hour. Time to breathe and create a world.
I only read two or three of the books, and that was over ten years ago. Anyone have any remarks about how they relate to the books or where a sequel might go?

Mon August 14, 2017 5:14 am

Does the generally negative critical and box office reaction to this mean the TV series is dead?

Mon August 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Looks like it's still happening.

Mon August 14, 2017 6:17 pm

They always say that until after the home video release...it's dead.

Fri August 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Saw it today. It's a 95 minute action movie spanning worlds, with an epic backdrop. I have not read any of the 8 books. I think it was both well acted and well produced. However, the story wasn't given any time to breathe or develop. Some of the more serious scenes even made me chuckle a little to myself (the boy is strong with the shine). It felt a bit like a movie that was loosely inspired by a lot of other movies, especially young adult movies, more than something that came from a series of books. All in all it was worth seeing, but nothing special.

Thu November 02, 2017 4:16 am

To the surprise of no one, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the main kid was great; he really won me over. Got hit with some unexpected emotion every now and then too (one scene in particular). The relationship between the kid and Elba was effective.

It needed about another half hour, though. The climax was rushed.

Thu November 02, 2017 4:21 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:To the surprise of no one, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the main kid was great; he really won me over. Got hit with some unexpected emotion every now and then too (one scene in particular). The relationship between the kid and Elba was effective.

:heartbeat:

Legend has it that the original cut was 2 and a half hours. Man, I hope we get that cut one of these days.

Thu November 02, 2017 4:26 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:To the surprise of no one, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the main kid was great; he really won me over. Got hit with some unexpected emotion every now and then too (one scene in particular). The relationship between the kid and Elba was effective.

Legend has it that the original cut was 2 and a half hours. Man, I hope we get that cut one of these days.

I agree about the climax, but it could have benefitted from some more early backstory on TMIB and Roland, too. So much of their dialogue played as nonsensical without any good context.

Thu November 02, 2017 4:47 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I agree about the climax, but it could have benefitted from some more early backstory on TMIB and Roland, too. So much of their dialogue played as nonsensical without any good context.

Exactly why I want that 2.5 hour cut. I still haven't seen the movie. But I've heard that so much of the context and backstory was cut.
Post a reply