Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Wed July 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Oh boy...

Wed July 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Why in the world would a 95-minute runtime be a bad thing?

Wed July 19, 2017 8:55 pm

It's an epic story. They're already cramming a ton of stuff together (they've implied we'll see elements from all 7 books in this thing). The short running time just makes me worry that there won't be enough time spent developing the world and the characters. I'm worried it's gonna be a longer version of the trailer now: all action set pieces and no wonder or subtlety.

Wed July 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Many of my favorite films are on the longer side, too. I tend to like a longer running time, in general.

Wed July 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Most modern sci-fi/fantasy movies are far too long in my opinion.

Wed July 19, 2017 9:06 pm

I don't necessarily disagree with you there. This... this is different, though. It really should have been a tv series.

Wed July 19, 2017 9:12 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:It's an epic story. They're already cramming a ton of stuff together (they've implied we'll see elements from all 7 books in this thing). The short running time just makes me worry that there won't be enough time spent developing the world and the characters. I'm worried it's gonna be a longer version of the trailer now: all action set pieces and no wonder or subtlety.

This is my prediction...

Wed July 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Wait so they are only doing this whole series in one movie?!

Wed July 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Given how convoluted this world and story are I am surprised to see such a trim runtime

Thu July 20, 2017 1:28 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Wait so they are only doing this whole series in one movie?!

God, I hope not.

Thu July 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Well... what they're doing is sort of a mash-up. This movie doesn't follow the first book and only the first book. They're staring in the middle and pulling aspects from all the books to tell this one story. (There's actually a really fucking awesome reason/justification for this but I can't talk about it without spoiling things.)

If this movie does well, they plan on making more of them. But they want to know there's hunger for a franchise. Last I heard, the plan was still to make three films and do a TV series that fills in the rest (mostly backstory with a young Roland).

Thu July 20, 2017 3:43 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:

Well... what they're doing is sort of a mash-up. This movie doesn't follow the first book and only the first book. They're staring in the middle and pulling aspects from all the books to tell this one story. (There's actually a really fucking awesome reason/justification for this but I can't talk about it without spoiling things.)

If this movie does well, they plan on making more of them. But they want to know there's hunger for a franchise. Last I heard, the plan was still to make three films and do a TV series that fills in the rest (mostly backstory with a young Roland).

I thought they said this movie was more like a sequel?

Thu July 20, 2017 3:44 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Well, yeah, that's all part of what's wrapped up in what I said before about there being an awesome reason/justification for all of this but that it's a spoiler to get into it.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Ah, got ya. Thanks Joey. I hope you have an awesome day.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:48 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Ah, got ya. Thanks Joey. I hope you have an awesome day.

Hey thanks, friend. And the same to you!

Thu July 20, 2017 5:13 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Well, yeah, that's all part of what's wrapped up in what I said before about there being an awesome reason/justification for all of this but that it's a spoiler to get into it.

Then put a spoiler tag in there, m'boy!

Thu July 20, 2017 8:22 pm

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Oh, do you really not know? And do you want to know? Cuz I'll spoiler tag the fuck out of it if you guys really want to talk about this.

Thu July 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Sad to say but my interest in this has plummeted.

Thu July 20, 2017 9:12 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Oh, do you really not know? And do you want to know? Cuz I'll spoiler tag the fuck out of it if you guys really want to talk about this.

We're RM. Of course we want to talk about it. We'll talk about monkeys fucking for a nickel.

Thu July 20, 2017 9:13 pm

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

We're RM. Of course we want to talk about it. We'll talk about monkeys fucking for a nickel.

:haha:
Post a reply