The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 2:54 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:
I was thinking about reading IT next.

Have you never?

Never.

I've kinda jumped around his bibliography randomly without any sort of plan of attack.

'Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand
Night Shift
Dark Tower
Pet Sematary
Cycle of the Werewolf
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Under the Dome
Doctor Sleep

PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 7:22 pm 
Production Police

There's a teaser trailer that indicated the show will include lots of popular characters who don't actually have a Castle Rock connection in their respective books:

PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 7:31 pm 
Production Police

bada wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:

Have you never?

Never.

I've kinda jumped around his bibliography randomly without any sort of plan of attack.

'Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand
Night Shift
Dark Tower
Pet Sematary
Cycle of the Werewolf
Under the Dome
Doctor Sleep

Those are definitely some of his better ones. It is a definitely one of his stronger books, though I have some problems with all the 1980s stuff. I did a ranking of all the King books I've read a while back, and have tweaked it here a little bit:

Spoiler: show
Unfuckwithable
'Salem's Lot
The Shining
Hearts In Atlantis
11/22/63
The Dead Zone
Misery
Pet Semetary (though I subjectively hate this one -- it's just too dark -- it is a terrific work)

Really strong
The Eyes of the Dragon
It
Full Dark, No Stars
Everything's Eventual
Skeleton Crew
Just After Sunset
The Regulators
Desperation
Bag of Bones
Joyland
The Long Walk
Dolores Clairborne
From a Buick 8

Pretty Good
Insomnia
The Green Mile
Revival
Cycle of the Werewolf
Duma Key
Different Seasons
Nightmares & Dreamscapes
The Gunslinger (I've avoided the rest of the DT trilogy until I've read all his other books, so this could sit much higher once I can view it in the proper context).

Decent but flawed
Needful Things
Lisey's Story
Dr. Sleep
Night Shift

Really bad
Thinner
The Dark Half
Gerald's Game
Carrie
Cell

PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 8:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:

Have you never?

Never.

'Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand
Night Shift
Dark Tower
Pet Sematary
Cycle of the Werewolf
Under the Dome
Doctor Sleep

IT is... not great. And the ending is... the worst.

PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 8:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

IT is easily one of my least favorite King books. The adult stuff is great (despite what everyone else says) though.

PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 9:43 pm 

I've been holding off reading it because of Joey. I don't want to bother reading 1100 pages if it sucks at the end. I'm torn.

PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 10:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
I've been holding off reading it because of Joey. I don't want to bother reading 1100 pages if it sucks at the end. I'm torn.

I don't mind rocky or bad endings if the journey is good. The problem I have with IT is that the journey isn't worth the terrible ending. There are great scenes in IT. But it's bloated and drunken and not as scary as it should be. King has written so many better books. Just watch the old TV mini-series. It's actually better than the book. You get the gist and you save yourself the truly uncomfortable (not in a good way) and absurd ending.

Bad endings are fine if they follow great journeys. Look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 10:36 pm 
Production Police

Joey makes some good points, but I think he's overstating his case. It definitely is "drunken" -- it's sort of a mess. I actually like the ending a lot, except for one major aspect. My feeling on the 1950s stuff vs the 1980s stuff is that the former is consistently great, while the latter ranges from very scary to very trashy and silly. But I think that the book is ultimately far superior to the TV movie.

It's kind of like Avocado, actually -- some of It is his very best work, but then parts are just awful.

PostPosted: Sun February 19, 2017 10:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

There you go, bada. We've each stated our case. I guess you'll have to just decide for yourself. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it. It's not a terrible reading experience. There are great scenes. But I found it lacking and uninspired at the end of the day. If you haven't read 'Salem's Lot or The Stand or Lisey's Story or 11/22/63 or The Dark Tower series or Four Past Midnight or Different Seasons or The Shining or Dolores Claiborne or even Under the Dome, then I'd say get through all of those first. They are far, far more rewarding and interesting.

But plenty of people really like IT and think it's one of his best. This may be one you can't take on faith and have to experience for yourself to see where you stand.

PostPosted: Mon February 20, 2017 1:44 am 
Major Dude

Different Seasons is still far and away my favorite King book.

Confession: the only things I've read even remotely recently by him other than the last Dark Tower books are The Colorado Kid and Under the Dome.

PostPosted: Mon February 20, 2017 2:55 am 

durdencommatyler wrote:
There you go, bada. We've each stated our case. I guess you'll have to just decide for yourself. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it. It's not a terrible reading experience. There are great scenes. But I found it lacking and uninspired at the end of the day. If you haven't read 'Salem's Lot or The Stand or Lisey's Story or 11/22/63 or The Dark Tower series or Four Past Midnight or Different Seasons or The Shining or Dolores Claiborne or even Under the Dome, then I'd say get through all of those first. They are far, far more rewarding and interesting.

But plenty of people really like IT and think it's one of his best. This may be one you can't take on faith and have to experience for yourself to see where you stand.

I'm no closer to making a decision. :D

PostPosted: Mon February 20, 2017 3:05 am 
Production Police

bada wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Most of the books that Joey said are better than It are, in fact, better than It.

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 7:40 am 
Future Drummer

bada wrote:

Late to the party but I think that It is King's masterpiece in the same way Exile is the Stones. A sprawling, Beautiful mess. After IT , I'd go with Salem's Lot, The Stand and The Shining.

I think you can't go wrong with anything from the last nearly ten years. Consistently good stuff but with a much stronger supernatural bent to it than is earlier horror writing.

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 3:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I don't think King as yet to (nor will he probably ever) top 'Salem's Lot. That's a goddamn fantastic book. Like, maybe one of my all time favorites in any genre.

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 3:46 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
I don't think King as yet to (nor will he probably ever) top 'Salem's Lot. That's a goddamn fantastic book. Like, maybe one of my all time favorites in any genre.

Agreed. There's an elemental quality to it. If it were the only book he ever wrote, he would still sit comfortably in the same discussions as a Lovecraft, Poe, etc.

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 3:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Agreed. There's an elemental quality to it. If it were the only book he ever wrote, he would still sit comfortably in the same discussions as a Lovecraft, Poe, etc.

Absolutely. Well said.

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 5:45 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Absolutely. Well said.

The only book to absolutely scare the shit out of me.

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 6:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Absolutely. Well said.

The only book to absolutely scare the shit out of me.

Like LEGIT scare the shit out of me.

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 6:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The Mr. Mercedes trilogy is a wild ride. I liked the first one a lot (amazing characters, but then he's always been good at that). The second one was also enjoyable and I liked the way he changed the story up, keeping it grounded. And that's where the third one lost me. I loved how - not to use the word too much, but it fits - grounded the stories were and then he does that. It's not a bad story, it just fits oddly into the narrative.

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 6:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
The Mr. Mercedes trilogy is a wild ride. I liked the first one a lot (amazing characters, but then he's always been good at that). The second one was also enjoyable and I liked the way he changed the story up, keeping it grounded. And that's where the third one lost me. I loved how - not to use the word too much, but it fits - grounded the stories were and then he does that. It's not a bad story, it just fits oddly into the narrative.

The third one was my least favorite of the trilogy. But I had no problem with how it progressed and changed and... shifted. I actually thought that was really cool and fairly ballsy. It worked for me.

Finders Keepers was probably my favorite of the three.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment