The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55958
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Looks like Sunday is the earliest I'll see this. :|


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 3280
Location: Washington State
$5 movies at Regal.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 7791
I'll wait for the reboot in 5 years.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 29079
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Has anybody seen this?

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 10:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 29079
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Ok I'll be the guinea pig. This is a mess, but in a boring, formulaic way.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 10:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 29079
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
This is like a fucking scifi channel movie.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 29079
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Elba is acceptable, but Matthew McCaunawhatever is totally phoning it in.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 29079
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
I've only read the first book, but as far as I can tell, this movie has nothing to do with the books. Like, at all.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 29079
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
DNF. Took a slam instead. Much more satisfying.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Tue August 08, 2017 7:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 1362
My best friend's a huge fan of the books. He just finished watching this and sent me 40 angry messages. The term "POS" was used like 60 times. He wants to burn things.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Wed August 09, 2017 1:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55958
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
I have a feeling this movie is going to be WAY better for non-fanboi's.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 11483
Location: in the wind
I'm not sure why the movie is getting such piss poor reviews. It was good and rather fun. I'm not sure why it was only 95 mins long. The seriously minimized and somewhat nonsensical plot really would've benefited from another half hour. Time to breathe and create a world.
I only read two or three of the books, and that was over ten years ago. Anyone have any remarks about how they relate to the books or where a sequel might go?

_________________
doug rr wrote:
argo, can I be your bench coach?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 5:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 11483
Location: in the wind
Does the generally negative critical and box office reaction to this mean the TV series is dead?

_________________
doug rr wrote:
argo, can I be your bench coach?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Looks like it's still happening.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 7791
They always say that until after the home video release...it's dead.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 3294
Location: Oslo, Norway
Saw it today. It's a 95 minute action movie spanning worlds, with an epic backdrop. I have not read any of the 8 books. I think it was both well acted and well produced. However, the story wasn't given any time to breathe or develop. Some of the more serious scenes even made me chuckle a little to myself (the boy is strong with the shine). It felt a bit like a movie that was loosely inspired by a lot of other movies, especially young adult movies, more than something that came from a series of books. All in all it was worth seeing, but nothing special.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31436
Location: this field intentionally left blank
To the surprise of no one, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the main kid was great; he really won me over. Got hit with some unexpected emotion every now and then too (one scene in particular). The relationship between the kid and Elba was effective.

It needed about another half hour, though. The climax was rushed.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55958
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
To the surprise of no one, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the main kid was great; he really won me over. Got hit with some unexpected emotion every now and then too (one scene in particular). The relationship between the kid and Elba was effective.

It needed about another half hour, though. The climax was rushed.

:heartbeat:

Legend has it that the original cut was 2 and a half hours. Man, I hope we get that cut one of these days.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
To the surprise of no one, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the main kid was great; he really won me over. Got hit with some unexpected emotion every now and then too (one scene in particular). The relationship between the kid and Elba was effective.

It needed about another half hour, though. The climax was rushed.

:heartbeat:

Legend has it that the original cut was 2 and a half hours. Man, I hope we get that cut one of these days.

I agree about the climax, but it could have benefitted from some more early backstory on TMIB and Roland, too. So much of their dialogue played as nonsensical without any good context.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55958
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
To the surprise of no one, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the main kid was great; he really won me over. Got hit with some unexpected emotion every now and then too (one scene in particular). The relationship between the kid and Elba was effective.

It needed about another half hour, though. The climax was rushed.

:heartbeat:

Legend has it that the original cut was 2 and a half hours. Man, I hope we get that cut one of these days.

I agree about the climax, but it could have benefitted from some more early backstory on TMIB and Roland, too. So much of their dialogue played as nonsensical without any good context.

Exactly why I want that 2.5 hour cut. I still haven't seen the movie. But I've heard that so much of the context and backstory was cut.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue December 12, 2017 9:54 pm