The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Film: Fantastic Beasts and where to find them
PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:22 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
It's especially worthwhile for fans of the books. The screenplay was written by Rowling and it shows. Her signature, her charm, her voice is all over this thing. I think it's probably the second strongest screenplay in the "Potter-verse" movies. And I'd absolutely put it in the top 5 (maybe top 3) of the Potter-verse films, too.

If you don't like Yates then I would lower your expectations. The writing is outstanding but it's still very much a Yates film. So, Len, you may not love it. But you should still see it because even if you don't think it's amazing, I'm guessing you'll find more than a few things to appreciate about the movie.

oh yeah i'm definitely going to see it...i enjoyed the trailer and expect it to be enjoyable overall

i suppose i should read the book too

The book this is "based" on isn't really a novel. So you can skip it. I just mean if you're a fan of Rowling's writing in general, you'll like this more than some of the other Potter films. She really put a lot of her style into the script.

yeah i'm a big fan of the books...i need to watch the yates movies again though...i think the only one i've seen more than once was order of the phoenix (i was really disappointed in it as it was probably my favorite book)

I totally get that. I thought it was actually one of the weakest books in the series and so I actually really appreciated the film version. I thought it streamlined the plot and was cut a lot of the repetitive stuff with Harry being a brat. That shit drove me nuts. The book was longer than it needed to be. Anyway... I thought the Deathly Hallows films were excellent. And Fantastic Beats is much more in line with their tone (visually) but with Rowling's trademark world building, humor, and depth.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:25 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
It's especially worthwhile for fans of the books. The screenplay was written by Rowling and it shows. Her signature, her charm, her voice is all over this thing. I think it's probably the second strongest screenplay in the "Potter-verse" movies. And I'd absolutely put it in the top 5 (maybe top 3) of the Potter-verse films, too.

If you don't like Yates then I would lower your expectations. The writing is outstanding but it's still very much a Yates film. So, Len, you may not love it. But you should still see it because even if you don't think it's amazing, I'm guessing you'll find more than a few things to appreciate about the movie.

oh yeah i'm definitely going to see it...i enjoyed the trailer and expect it to be enjoyable overall

i suppose i should read the book too

The book this is "based" on isn't really a novel. So you can skip it. I just mean if you're a fan of Rowling's writing in general, you'll like this more than some of the other Potter films. She really put a lot of her style into the script.

yeah i'm a big fan of the books...i need to watch the yates movies again though...i think the only one i've seen more than once was order of the phoenix (i was really disappointed in it as it was probably my favorite book)

I totally get that. I thought it was actually one of the weakest books in the series and so I actually really appreciated the film version. I thought it streamlined the plot and was cut a lot of the repetitive stuff with Harry being a brat. That shit drove me nuts. The book was longer than it needed to be. Anyway... I thought the Deathly Hallows films were excellent. And Fantastic Beats is much more in line with their tone (visually) but with Rowling's trademark world building, humor, and depth.

i did see the part 1 of the deathly hallows twice, now that i think about it...i do think the last 2 were a big improvement on the previous 2 yates did

i never really understood the criticism of the harry being a brat narrative...he's a teenager with a terrible upbringing and the weight of the world on his back...it would be stressful for any moderately normal wizard and or human

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:28 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

i did see the part 1 of the deathly hallows twice, now that i think about it...i do think the last 2 were a big improvement on the previous 2 yates did

i never really understood the criticism of the harry being a brat narrative...he's a teenager with a terrible upbringing and the weight of the world on his back...it would be stressful for any moderately normal wizard and or human

I think Yates only directed three Potter films, right? The final three? Phoenix, Hallows 1 & 2...

The Harry being a brat thing made total sense. I didn't disagree with the choice, just with how much of it there was. It could have been edited down and had the same impact, I think. It was just too much. But, you're right. That was part of the point and she did a good job with it. It was good writing, that's part of why it was so effective. I just didn't like it and thought the movie handled that aspect more efficiently.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:33 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

I think Yates only directed three Potter films, right? The final three? Phoenix, Hallows 1 & 2...

The Harry being a brat thing made total sense. I didn't disagree with the choice, just with how much of it there was. It could have been edited down and had the same impact, I think. It was just too much. But, you're right. That was part of the point and she did a good job with it. It was good writing, that's part of why it was so effective. I just didn't like it and thought the movie handled that aspect more efficiently.

he did half blood prince as well

i don't really remember the volume of his bratty qualities in the book, but i guess it didn't bother me

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:42 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:

i don't really remember the volume of his bratty qualities in the book, but i guess it didn't bother me

Oh shit. Right. I was totally omitting that movie. *fart noise*

I dug that movie, too. But I liked that book (Prince) WAY more than the movie.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:45 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

i liked the book more too, but it's still probably next to last favorite

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:46 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Really? Interesting. It's my second favorite book in the series. It's lower in my film rankings, though.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:51 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Really? Interesting. It's my second favorite book in the series. It's lower in my film rankings, though.

i find sirius black kind of overrated, so clearly we don't see eye to eye when it comes to most things harry potter

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:53 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

i find sirius black kind of overrated, so clearly we don't see eye to eye when it comes to most things harry potter

That's true. You'll probably hate Fantastic Beats.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 12:59 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

oh i highly doubt that

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 2:13 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

oh i highly doubt that

ohthankgod

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 2:59 am 
The Master

i like that they replaced colin farrell with a much better actor

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 3:03 am 
The Master

spike wrote:
i like that they replaced colin farrell with a much better actor

he's not in it? also, he's a pretty good actor

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 3:35 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Apparently spike has not watched "In Bruges".

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 3:38 am 
The Master

Kaius wrote:

i will never forget your post praising this film after i recommended it to you

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 3:38 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

He sucks in every other movie though.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 3:43 am 

Kaius wrote:

Post it for me

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 3:44 am 

BurtReynolds wrote:
He sucks in every other movie though.

Apparently Burt has not watched Daredevil (2003).

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 3:47 am 
The Master

Kaius wrote:
Kaius wrote:

Post it for me

i will later

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 4:27 am 
The Master

Kaius wrote:

or once upon a time in shanghai

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment