Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: Saturday Night Live

Sun October 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Yeah, that might have been the only good bit last night

Mon October 02, 2017 12:52 pm

I thought it was an okay. The alien abduction sketch still got me to laugh (and apparently Gosling too). I had higher hopes for Weekend Update. The monologue went on too long, the chicken sketch wasn't good and the Pizza Hut plug was a bit heavy handed. A middle of the pack type opener to open the season but not a bad episode by any means.

Mon October 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I love Gosling but he is a terrible host

Mon October 02, 2017 2:08 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:I giggled at the Papyrus sketch.

That was fantastic.

Mon October 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Biff Pocoroba wrote:I thought it was an okay. The alien abduction sketch still got me to laugh (and apparently Gosling too). I had higher hopes for Weekend Update. The monologue went on too long, the chicken sketch wasn't good and the Pizza Hut plug was a bit heavy handed. A middle of the pack type opener to open the season but not a bad episode by any means.

The alien abduction sketch was funny the first time, but really only because everyone lost it and was laughing. This is like the third or fourth time they've done it now, and I can't even watch them anymore.

Mon October 02, 2017 2:28 pm

The Argonaut wrote:The alien abduction sketch was funny the first time, but really only because everyone lost it and was laughing. This is like the third or fourth time they've done it now, and I can't even watch them anymore.

I get your drift, and the first one was funnier, but McKinnon still sold it to me.

Mon October 02, 2017 8:37 pm

The Argonaut wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:I thought it was an okay. The alien abduction sketch still got me to laugh (and apparently Gosling too). I had higher hopes for Weekend Update. The monologue went on too long, the chicken sketch wasn't good and the Pizza Hut plug was a bit heavy handed. A middle of the pack type opener to open the season but not a bad episode by any means.

The alien abduction sketch was funny the first time, but really only because everyone lost it and was laughing. This is like the third or fourth time they've done it now, and I can't even watch them anymore.

I liked the Italian Restaurant sketch. Of course, I love all sketches where people break character to laugh.

Fri October 06, 2017 2:16 am

I liked that Gosling learned his lines and didn't just read from the cue cards. I appreciate the effort.

Fri October 06, 2017 3:48 am

I don't think I'll be doing my write-ups this season, but this was a very bad episode. Also Jay Z should consider retiring for real this time.

Sun October 08, 2017 3:50 pm

A little better than last week. Most of the better stuff was in the first half with First Date standing out as the best sketch.
Gal Gadot was okay, she was in most sketches but didn't particularly standout in any of them.

Mon October 09, 2017 12:22 am

Gal Gadot was good yeah.

Man, she is a beauty.

Mon October 09, 2017 1:49 am

Anyone else think McKinnon campaigned a little to be the one Gadot kissed in that sketch?

Wed October 18, 2017 4:45 am

tragabigzanda wrote:I don't think I'll be doing my write-ups this season

Bummer. I was hoping to hear your take on the last two

Wed October 18, 2017 5:53 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:

:cry:

Wed October 18, 2017 6:00 pm

gardenparty wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

:cry:

Short version:

Three bad episodes, with a few notable highlights.

The best sketch so far was the cut-for-time Last Fry video. Extremely dark, weird stuff. Other standouts were Kellywise, OJ's First Date, The Chosen One (only Chad can save Etheria), Themyscira (Lesbians meet Wonder Woman) and Papyrus. Everything else has been awful, and Weekend Update has not been terribly funny. Mikey Day and Alex Moffet continue to rise, and I am coming around on Melissa Villaseñor.

Wed October 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Man, we sure do like different things.

Wed October 18, 2017 6:30 pm

What sketches did you enjoy?

Wed October 18, 2017 6:47 pm

I meant specifically that Mikey Day and Alex Moffet are the literal worst. They have no business on this show at all. I don't like Kyle Mooney very much but he's goodamn Andy Kaufman compared to those other guys. And that Chosen One sketch was completely stupid.

Also, I think Weeked Update has killed it all three weeks.

I also LOVED Kumail's monologue. Everybody swallowed Louis CK's dick when after his monologue and this one was 1,000 times better.

What else, though... That's probably about it, really. You mentioned some that I really liked as well. Gosling doesn't offend me as a host the way he seems to offend others. None of these episodes have been great but they've all made me laugh here and there. It's about on par for what SNL is, I think.

Wed October 18, 2017 8:39 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:I meant specifically that Mikey Day and Alex Moffet are the literal worst. They have no business on this show at all.

:shock:

durdencommatyler wrote:I don't like Kyle Mooney very much but he's goodamn Andy Kaufman

You can just stop there.

Also, I really like Ryan Gosling, and he's a good host. I just didn't think the writing was very good.

Fri October 20, 2017 2:26 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:I meant specifically that Mikey Day and Alex Moffet are the literal worst. They have no business on this show at all.

:shock:

durdencommatyler wrote:I don't like Kyle Mooney very much but he's goodamn Andy Kaufman

You can just stop there.

Also, I really like Ryan Gosling, and he's a good host. I just didn't think the writing was very good.

The writing hasn't been great. And surprise, surprise! Day and Moffet have been the dominant dudes in all three episodes. Doesn't that mean they're doing the majority of the writing? Doesn't that mean that they're terrible?
Post a reply