The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saturday Night Live
PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 6:04 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Legitimately one of my favorite episodes of all time. The Pete Davidson videos were awful, everything else was awesome.

Look, maybe once the novelty of it wears off you'll see clear as day it as a standard SNL episode. Some good stuff, some horribly awful stuff.

I totally respect they made this happen and I hope they continue to do so.

Kudos to them for making it feel like an SNL episode. For me, the comedians that I dont care much for (you know who) really fell flat and their inadequacies were very on display.

Weekend update was great. Middle aged mutant turtles was great, zoom sketch, and sky sports news were the best.

Ginsberg was awful. Heidi Gardner continues to annoy the shit out of me. The Master Class sketch may have been funny but I legit had no idea who they were trying to make fun of.

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 7:07 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Legitimately one of my favorite episodes of all time. The Pete Davidson videos were awful, everything else was awesome.

Look, maybe once the novelty of it wears off you'll see clear as day it as a standard SNL episode. Some good stuff, some horribly awful stuff.

Kudos to them for making it feel like an SNL episode. For me, the comedians that I dont care much for (you know who) really fell flat and their inadequacies were very on display.

Weekend update was great. Middle aged mutant turtles was great, zoom sketch, and sky sports news were the best.

Ginsberg was awful. Heidi Gardner continues to annoy the shit out of me. The Master Class sketch may have been funny but I legit had no idea who they were trying to make fun of.

Is this because I hate the Black Keys?

Seriously folks...The "novelty" will never wear off for me, because this episode is perhaps the single greatest example we'll have of how the personalities and creative minds of this cast operate free of the constraints of their normal production environment. Similar to the Self Pollution broadcast or Single Video Theory, it's a unique window into the personal lives and creative process of the cast members when they're isolated from the monstrous production team...

Some of them soared. I think Kate McKinnon's skit was hysterical; ditto Alex Moffett's Sky Sports Report, and Beck and Kyle's weird sample video. The "How Low" dating sketch was something that would have worked just as well outside of the pandemic narrative, but it added an extra element that was pretty funny.

Conversely, Pete Davidson making a skit in his mom's basement about Drake is basically what I imagine Pete Davidson is like when he doesn't have the cast propping him up.

I also happen to think this is one of the very best ensemble casts the show has ever had, even if it's lacking (outside McKinnon and possibly Mooney) the genius-levels of a Murray, Farley, Fey, or Poehler. With the exception of Davidson, I find everyone to be extremely talented.

And it's also the first cast to have a number of members land roles on the show by creating this very type of content before they were famous: Bennett and Mooney were doing a ton of videos with Good Neighbor, Chloe Fineman has been doing terrific impression work on Instagram for a while now, etc. So this episode was, for me, not just a window into the private creative lives of people I really enjoy, but a great reminder that many of these people deserve to be on the show because they're funny, talented, creative, and driven.

And the Hal Willner tribute was really touching, and a great way to acknowledge what the extended crew bring to the show on a weekly basis.

Certainly not the "funniest" stuff they've turned out, but for this superfan it was one of the most joyful experiences I've ever had watching this show.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Sun April 12, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 7:16 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Is this because I hate the Black Keys?

Seriously folks...The "novelty" will never wear off for me, because this episode is perhaps the single greatest example we'll have of how the personalities and creative minds of this cast operate free of the constraints of their normal production environment. Similar to the Self Pollution broadcast or Single Video Theory, it's a unique window into the personal lives and creative process of the cast members when they're isolated from the monstrous production team...

Some of them soared. I think Kate McKinnon's skit was hysterical; ditto Alex Moffett's Sky Sports Report, and Beck and Kyle's weird sample video. The "How Low" dating sketch was something that would have worked just as well outside of the pandemic narrative, but it added an extra element that was pretty funny.

Conversely, Pete Davidson making a skin in his mom's basement about Drake is basically what I imagine Pete Davidson is like when he doesn't have the cast propping him up.

I also happen to think this is one of the very best ensemble casts the show has ever had, even if it's lacking (outside McKinnon and possibly Mooney) the genius-levels of a Murray, Farley, Fey, or Poehler. With the exception of Davidson, I find everyone to be extremely talented.

And it's also the first cast to have a number of members land roles on the show by creating this very type of content before they were famous: Bennett and Mooney were doing a ton of videos with Good Neighbor, Chloe Fineman has been doing terrific impression work on Instagram for a while now, etc. So this episode was, for me, not just a window into the private creative lives of people I really enjoy, but a great reminder that many of these people deserve to be on the show because they're funny, talented, creative, and driven.

And the Hal Willner tribute was really touching, and a great way to acknowledge what the extended crew bring to the show on a weekly basis.

Certainly not the "funniest" stuff they've turned out, but for this superfan it was one of the most joyful experiences I've ever had watching this show.

Im glad you enjoyed it so much!

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 7:26 pm 
The Master

Also, I'm not sure there's been a cast member who's risen from the lowest lows to the highest highs as Ms. Aidy Bryant. I've loved watching her find her voice on the show (and on Shrill), and she fucking killed it last night.

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 7:30 pm 
The Master

dreading this episode

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:03 pm 
The Master

Was Armisen hanging out at his agent’s office?

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:05 pm 
The Master

I picture him living out of a suitcase, with like five different girlfriends in different states

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:11 pm 
The Master

pretty sure Mooney was in the Midwest somewhere

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:19 pm 
The Master

I guessed he was in LA based on the plants outside (he and beck lived there before SNL).

Aidy was obviously at her parents’ house.

Cecily’s credits pic looked like she just got laid.

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 10:41 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
I guessed he was in LA based on the plants outside (he and beck lived there before SNL).

Aidy was obviously at her parents’ house.

Cecily’s credits pic looked like she just got laid.

Yea i thought that too! She is so absurdly beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun April 12, 2020 11:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

couple of great jokes on weekend update..the rest was pretty much garbage..nice tribute to hal wilner

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 12:33 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

It was all but unwatchable

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 12:46 am 
jeeeesus relax already

should i torrent this? Based on Trag, yes.

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 2:21 am 
The Master

Watching this now.

Quarantine has clearly driven trag completely out of his mind. I mean sweet Jesus

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 2:25 am 
The Master

I think as a society we should all agree that it’s time to bury Kate McKinnon somewhere deep beneath the earth so she can never return

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 2:25 am 
The Master

This show has brought me years of joy and this episode is like my own Rise of the Skywalker moment, ok?

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 2:26 am 
The Master

It’s absolutely not ok

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 2:27 am 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think as a society we should all agree that it’s time to bury Kate McKinnon somewhere deep beneath the earth so she can never return

Yeah, she is the woooooorst. She does the exactly same thing in every movie.

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 2:28 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I LOVED her skit. Having seen her in all sorts of other material -- Comedians In Cars, interviews, etc -- I think she's just a huge goofball who never really stops being "on." I mean, did you see all the Crayola marker title cards she did, and the artwork on her walls?! I imagine she'd be doing this exact same thing even if no one knew who she was, and I love that about her.

This whole episode is like 33% classic SNL, 33% gonzo experiment, 33% guerilla comedy. They're taking actual fucking risks and not fussing over the details. It feels loose and raw in a way the show hasn't felt in many years.

PostPosted: Mon April 13, 2020 2:28 am 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
This show has brought me years of joy and this episode is like my own Rise of the Skywalker moment, ok?

I will watch it just because its you Trag.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 137  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment