The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saturday Night Live
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
i was glad to hear them play The only living boy in new york during the spicer clip..one of my favorite songs

one of my favorites as well

do you want to Skype later and sing it to each other?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
i was glad to hear them play The only living boy in new york during the spicer clip..one of my favorite songs

one of my favorites as well

do you want to Skype later and sing it to each other?

save that for your wife

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:12 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I'm sure I'm pulling a classic b here, but Moynihan is out.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:14 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I'm sure I'm pulling a classic b here, but Moynihan is out.

argo hates him can you believe it?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:58 pm 
Production Police

Vanessa Bayer Is Leaving Saturday Night Live
http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/vanessa-bayer-is-leaving-saturday-night-live.html

Pete Davidson Reflects on Bobby Moynihan’s SNL Departure: ‘It Breaks My Heart’
http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/pete-davidson-reflects-on-bobby-moynihans-snl-departure.html

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:39 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/vanessa-bayer-is-leaving-saturday-night-live.html

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/pete-davidson-reflects-on-bobby-moynihans-snl-departure.html

i want to die

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:04 pm 
Poster of the Year

I laughed quite a bit at the mad scientist sketch. It's a shame they had no idea how to end it.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:38 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I laughed quite a bit at the mad scientist sketch. It's a shame they had no idea how to end it.

Loved that sketch! It completely caught me off guard. Nice curveball. I really liked the response to how one goes about making a robot like that.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I was really starting to like Bayer's weather girl character.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:56 pm 
Production Police

5/21/17: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson / Katy Perry

The general press consensus is that SNL has put forth a very funny season, and I disagree. But they have certainly put forth a very strong season. The laughs have been wildly uneven, but they have hit enough high, fresh notes that it seems apparent there is a positive energy being generated as the show.

They've taken some big risks over the last couple seasons: Hosting Donald Trump, and then taking on Donald Trump; delivering decidedly ham-fisted "sober pieces" about the state of the world; actively fostering a more diverse cast; and letting more esoteric bits, like Kyle Mooney's various video segments, or writer Julio Torres's oddball/melancholy mini-films like "The Sink," make it to air. They've relied heavily on celebrity appearances, and no newer cast member has broken out yet as a clear front-runner for "best on show" (and some may not even stick around).

Tonight marks the last show for both Vanessa Bayer and Bobby Moynihan. I think there's enough young male talent to fill the Moynihan void, but considering the show has come to rely far more on the female members of its staff, it is disappointing to see no strong young female players yet. I think Leslie Jones's positions as a writer and regular player are safe, but I'm skeptical she's ever going to do anything beyond her normal schtick; and Melissa Villaseñor has done nothing to make her presence feel vital to the show, outside of one or two skits where she was able to stretch her wings a little bit.

The combo of The Rock and Katy Perry is inspiring; I'm hopeful this will be a great end to the season.

---------------------------

Cold Open: This was sort of perfect. A funny concept for a callback to the some of the aforementioned "sober stuff" I mentioned. Trump's punchline at the end was good, and my gosh isn't Scarlett Johansson a lovely creature. The skit was short and sweet, it made me smile a few times throughout, and I even laughed a bit at the end.

Monologue: Why is there a gold skull on The Rock's belt buckle? And oh great, more Alec Baldwin! I'm not getting into The Rock's presidential bid here, but his announcement during the monologue felt super awkward to me. Tom Hanks is always welcome on the show. Hanks's political pep-talk was an excellent way to address the politically-charged position the show has taken in popular media, but the Rock's follow-up with more campaign priming killed it. I hope he can shut up about his political aspirations for the rest of the show.

Cartier Fidget Spinner: This was funny, but I don't fully understand fidget spinners. But I am really going to miss Vanessa Bayer.

Wrestlemania Promos: OMG I loved this. I wish they had discovered both the general premise and Moynihan's Junkyard Mutt character a couple seasons ago. I could probably watch 3-4 iterations of this before it started to get old.

One Choice: I loved this one too. The premise, the execution, some of the particular characters (Mooney, Villaseñor, and McKinnon were my favorites), and the return of David S. Pumpkins.

Scorpio: This was better than I would've guessed it would be based on the premise alone. And thankfully it ends just as it's getting old. Not a bad sketch by any means, but nor is it very inspired either.

Universal Studios: I love the Jemma sketches. I think this is her fourth appearance now? Always cracks me up. The pig is adorable. Some challenging camera and technical movements for a live skit that didn't even exist a week ago. And it was funny to watch Vanessa Bayer trying not to break as she was continuously doused in water. What it lacked in writing it made up for in execution.

Zentrex: Took a little while to find its footing, but it was making me laugh by the end.

Katy Perry #1: I wasn't feeling this at all, until the kid started dancing. Then the camera pulled away, and the slowly-built crescendo of colorful backup dancers filled the screen as the song hit its uber-cool, disconnected peak. This is the best thing she's done since the Teenage Dream stuff.

Weekend Update: The "Pence in the bullpen" joke was excellent. The Comey/Trump's marriage punchline was awesome too. I love the Dawn Lazarus character; too bad they found her at the very end of Bayer's run. Really happy we got a Drunk Uncle sketch to close out Moynihan's run; this was a typically great installment. Overall, an excellent end to the season for Update.

Murder By Numbers: This was funny enough, but I'm more interested in exactly what sort of technical difficulties were going on. At one point Vanessa Bayer seems to whisper into her monitor "I'm doing it," and then "I'm not controlling it." There was some sort of miscommunication or technical snafu between the fart sounds and Bayer, because she seemed to be surprised by a a lot of them.

International Mad Scientist Society Meeting: This was a brilliant concept. The "...hope that it continues the cycle" punchline was brutal. It was obvious they didn't know how to end it, but I liked where they took it.

Katy Perry #2: I really like this one too. I'll have to get her new album next month.

Wingman: This was ok, but felt like a real slowing of the show's momentum.

Senior Awards Night: Another letdown after a predominantly strong show.

-----------------------

While it doesn't top the Kristen Stewart episode, this is definitely one of the best episodes of the season. A good mixture of political humor and apolitical stuff; some inspired cameos; lots of laughs from Bayer and Moynihan; and two fun musical performances. Great ending to the season, and despite the fact that this season was largely forgettable, there were enough standout moments that felt like new additions to the show's repertoire that I am starting to think it's finally crawling out of the hole it's been in for a while now.

Best skit: I'm voting One Choice (though I could be easily convinced it was the Molesting Robot skit). I love any of the show's oft-used skit format that allows the players to come up with a bunch of weird characters, and just basically list them off.

Worst skit: Senior Awards Night.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Mon May 22, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:28 am 
The Master

cold open: please shoot me...if i never see another musical number on snl i will die a happy man

monologue: mostly forgettable (no singing, at least)...i'm not the biggest fan of the rock, but there's no denying his charisma

cartier fidget spinner: like trag i still don't exactly understand fidget spinners (haven't tried to either), but this seemed like a generally well executed bit

wrestling promos: i enjoyed this one...trag, have they not done this before? i seem to remember it being the same kind of jokes, but still funny...i'm going to miss moynihan :(

rapperz vid: great premise and very well executed bit

scorpio: not bad, but didn't do much for me

universal studios: i wasn't wild about this character at first, but it has grown on me...this particular skit dragged a bit to me though...i wish i could have been there to help bayer dry off though

zentrex: pretty good...i liked the "hail satan" line at the end, but i wish the rock had delivered it with a slight nefarious touch

weekend update: enjoyed this one...i really like the bayer weatherwomanperson character, it's too bad she's dead now...obviously glad to see drunk uncle, but i hate that riblet is now dead too

mur-diddily-erder by fart: some of the farts sounded juicy

mad scientist society: child molestation is the worst crime

wingman: this was okay...i would take part in a threesome with bayer and strong, if they would be so kind as to ask

class of 2017: decent bit

solid episode overall, nothing cringeworthy and nothing great either...on the plus side, leslie jones was barely in it!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:08 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I had it on dvr but we had some storms come through Saturday evening. I have DirecTv so it cut out a couple times, once during the monologue and a longer part of Weekend Update and into the next sketch. I did see Drunk Uncle so that was good. Child molesting robot made laugh and I also liked the Zantrex piece. I watched the Katy Perry songs, which I don't always do for the musical acts. Visually it was interesting, I'll give her that but like Trag said the best part was the kid dancing at the end of the first one.
I had higher hopes going in but it was an okay finale to a mostly okay season. The Rock mentioned he first hosted 17 years ago. That makes me feel old but that sounds about right. Off the top of my head I'd echo Trag again by saying Kristen Stewart's was the best overall with Black Jeopardy and McCarthy's first Spicer appearance being high water marks for sketches. I hope Lyn Manuel Miranda gets a call back to a host; not only was good but he seemed to enjoy it the most and that enthusiasm was very apparent to the viewer. Plus obviously he's extremely comfortable performing live in front of an audience.

*Just out that Sasheer will not be back in the fall

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:06 pm 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:

Sasheer Zamata Is Leaving Saturday Night Live
http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/sasheer- ... h-snl.html

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:11 pm 
The Master

hallelujah

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

yeah, i never latched onto her performances at all

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:54 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

So, that child molesting robot thing was a ballsy sketch. I can't really wrap my head around it, and The Rock's stilted performance only made it weirder. Was that the ten to one sketch? It was nuts

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Argonaut wrote:
So, that child molesting robot thing was a ballsy sketch. I can't really wrap my head around it, and The Rock's stilted performance only made it weirder. Was that the ten to one sketch? It was nuts

well,, it made me laugh but like pete and others said it could have been much better but yeah, the timing was great at the beginning that no one would suspect..

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:31 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Yeah, it made me laugh. I'm just surprised to see SNL do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 am 
The Master

The Argonaut wrote:
Yeah, it made me laugh. I'm just surprised to see SNL do it.

how are you making it in the post-bayer era?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:28 am 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:
5/6/17: Chris Pine w/LCD Soundsystem

LCD Soundsystem #1: I've always enjoyed their records, but their live vibe has always rubbed me the wrong way, like they're too cool to actually enjoy playing the music they're playing. This sounds great, but it doesn't add anything to their legacy. I see no reason for them to have reconvened after their "breakup." The white dude wearing the Kufi hat is embarrassing. I'm sure he won't get the same flack for cultural appropriation that Pharrell or Miley Cyrus got.

So they just put up a cut-for-time sketch from this episode, in which Kyle Mooney wears a kufi (plus a dashiki):
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... te/3517525

I wonder if they cut the sketch because it clashed with the keyboard player from LCD Soundsystem? Or did the keyboard player borrow the kufi from wardrobe? Or is it all just a strange and embarrassing coincidence?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 138  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment