The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saturday Night Live
PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 11:10 pm 
Broken Tamborine

4-15-17: Jimmy Fallon/Harry Styles

Cold Open: Just stop it with Baldwin, not funny. Was expecting Timberlake to be in one of the costumes.

Monologue: I hate when they feel the need to use a lot extras/back up dancers - what a waste

Celebrity Family Feud: Cecily's Liza Minelli was good as was Kate's Kristen Stewart. Fallon's 1977 Travolta was ok, but it was already done better on SNL by Dana Carvey. His 2017 Travolta sounded like Alec Baldwin doing Trump. If/when Kenan leaves the show, they should bring him back every once in a while to do this.

Legally Blonde The Musical: I've been to a few kids' musicals, this was great

Take Me Back: Awful, the Pepsi commercial line was only half decent thing about it

Sean Spicer: See Trump/Baldwin

Harry Styles #1: ?

Weekend Update: I usually hate the guests on WU, but love Jacob and Bruce Chandling.

Civil War Song: Meh

Turtle Shirt: I thought this was ok.

Boston Couple: Not surprised this was on, not that funny

Harry Styles #2: ?

Basketball Scene: Not sure where this was going at first, but it was good

Not a bad episode overall, but not much of a Fallon fan.

Best Skit: Family Feud - all of the celebrities could be awful, but Thompson's Steve Harvey is great

Worst Skit: Take Me Back/Cold Open/Sean Spicer

PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 11:16 pm 
Production Police

:hooray: So glad to see someone else diving into the nitty gritty with me.

PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 11:21 pm 
Production Police

RM12, I really struggled with the Legally Blonde sketch. I also found it very funny at the beginning, but it overstayed its welcome with me by like 2-3 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue April 18, 2017 10:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

tragabigzanda wrote:
:hooray: So glad to see someone else diving into the nitty gritty with me.

It's been really tough this season. As sad as it is, the Fallon episode was probably the most consistent so far. It's best sketch wasn't that great, but the worst sketch wasn't too bad.

PostPosted: Wed April 26, 2017 6:49 pm 
Production Police

Sasheer Zamata just did an article for Pitchfork (some nice words on Kanye, LV):

http://pitchfork.com/features/listening ... rgive-him/

She's also got a new standup special/tour; and has been promoting that in various outlets. I'm happy to see her starting to grow beyond the SNL confines. I think she's really talented (and stunningly beautiful), and has been so poorly utilized on SNL.

PostPosted: Wed April 26, 2017 7:09 pm 
The Master

She is the worst cast member of all time, hands down.

PostPosted: Wed April 26, 2017 7:59 pm 
The Master

she is bad

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:57 pm 
Production Police

5/6/17: Chris Pine w/LCD Soundsystem

They've had three weeks off, Chris Pine seems like he's game for anything, and I'm a fan of LCD Soundsystem. Hopefully this won't totally suck...

-----------------------

Cold Open: Kate McKinnon sold me on this skit with her first line; her take on Mika Brzezinski is awesome. Alex Moffat is becoming a strong player too. Bobby Moynihan looks like he's gained some weight. I was really enjoying this until Alec Baldwin showed up and killed my vibe.

Monologue: Pine seems really at ease. The premise of this monologue annoys me. Another popular song licensed for no good reason. McKinnon made me laugh with her joke about his tight shirt and bracelets, but this was otherwise stupid.

Where In the World is Kellyanne Conway?: Very unconventional sketch for SNL. Ninety second of setup for one killer punchline. Bold and subversive. I loved this.

Song For Peace: Terrible. I don't understand how a pre-taped idea like this makes it beyond the first couple hours of production.

SWAT Stakeout: Great premise that gets sort of old; luckily it doesn't go on too long. I am really loving Mikey Day.

HR Meeting: Why has SNL latched on to musical-based skits so heavily this season?! The "childless MILF with an eye for design" line was decent, everything else was awful. Also, Melissa Villaseñor's days are numbered.

The House - Seattle: This is just a tired retread of the much funnier "Wing" and "Bad Boys" skits:
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... 9012?snl=1
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... 5277?snl=1
The brief cameo by the effeminate looking Asian guy made me chuckle, otherwise this sucked.

LCD Soundsystem #1: I've always enjoyed their records, but their live vibe has always rubbed me the wrong way, like they're too cool to actually enjoy playing the music they're playing. This sounds great, but it doesn't add anything to their legacy. I see no reason for them to have reconvened after their "breakup." The white dude wearing the Kufi hat is embarrassing. I'm sure he won't get the same flack for cultural appropriation that Pharrell or Miley Cyrus got.

Weekend Update: Seriously, an Apple/U2 joke over two years since the event? Ugh. In other old news: Steve Bannon is ugly. Trump eats like shit and his first 100 days were a failure. The "childrens' wheelchairs" joke was ok. But wow, they are really resting on their laurels this week with the Trump criticism. Vanessa Bayer's Weather Girl character was odd. Some good non-political material; the Hillary Clinton punchline was solid, and I think it played better outside of the political run of jokes. Leslie Jones returns to do her thing, and it makes for a sleepy end to this week's segment.

Auto Shop: This seems old, like they had the concept kicking around for 15 years and just updated the cultural references.

The Handmaid's Tale: Horrible skit. Just awful. But Kyle Mooney still made me smile.

TV Land - Star Trek: Keenan's Neil Degrasse Tyson is awesome. Kyle Mooney looks physically uncomfortable in the tired Spock getup delivering expository lines, like he knows this is beneath him. Who the heck is the older chubby Asian guy who shows up? They're going deep with the non-cast roles this week.

LCD Soundsystem #2: Same as their first performance, except this sounds sort of like an M83 song.

Game Night: This wasn't funny.

----------------------------

Pretty bad episode over all. Chris Pine brought the goods; dude is a natural. But the writing just wasn't up to snuff. I appreciated that they backed off from the political stuff and just went for the silly, but most of it fell flat. Kyle Mooney, Kate McKinnon, Beck Bennett, Bobby Moynihan, and Mikey Day continue to stand out even when dealing with mediocre material.

Best skit: Where In the World is Kellyanne Conway?, but that's not saying much.

Worst skit: The Handmaid's Tale.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I didn't last night's episode was that bad. Chris Pine was a pleasant surprise as the host & was in nearly every skit. I never thought of him as a skit performer but he's pretty good and was obviously enjoying himself. Bobby Moynihan got the most air time he's had in months. And what happened to Cecily Strong on the show? I really thought she was a rising star but we haven't seen much of her on a regular basis at all.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 pm 
Production Police

I agree that Pine was great. And it was real fun to see Bobby get a ton of air time -- his faces are often the best part of a skit. Not sure about Cecily. I think her position on the show is safe. Assuming she got the standard 7-year contract, then she's got two seasons left -- I can't imagine they'd even start thinking about axing her just because she's lost a little airtime this season.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:12 am 
The Master

this episode was terrible...i like chris pine and he has an okay voice, but why was he singing in 82% of the sketches?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:13 am 
The Master

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
I didn't last night's episode was that bad. Chris Pine was a pleasant surprise as the host & was in nearly every skit. I never thought of him as a skit performer but he's pretty good and was obviously enjoying himself. Bobby Moynihan got the most air time he's had in months. And what happened to Cecily Strong on the show? I really thought she was a rising star but we haven't seen much of her on a regular basis at all.

i thought it was strange cecily was barely in this episode since she's been featured so much before...i did notice vanessa bayer was in quite a few, and there's been times she was barely used also

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 am 
Production Police

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

i thought it was strange cecily was barely in this episode since she's been featured so much before...i did notice vanessa bayer was in quite a few, and there's been times she was barely used also

It's largely a crap shoot; each week is a battle for air time. I wouldn't worry about a few bad weeks; it's the sustained inactivity when it starts to look bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:21 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

It's largely a crap shoot; each week is a battle for air time. I wouldn't worry about a few bad weeks; it's the sustained inactivity when it starts to look bad.

yeah other than bennett and mckinnon right now it's up for grabs

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:23 am 
The Master

guys, isn't cecily preggers?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:23 am 
The Master

spike wrote:

i think she's barren

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:27 am 
The Master

spike wrote:

i think she's barren

okay, then i'm going drinking problem cuz she looks heavy.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:29 am 
The Master

Finally watching the Jimmy Fallon episode...holy fuck that "Let's Dance" sequence was godawful...American late night shows are truly embarrassing

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:30 am 
Production Police

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Finally watching the Jimmy Fallon episode...holy fuck that "Let's Dance" sequence was godawful...American late night shows are truly embarrassing

Just stop now

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:34 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

except conan conan is legend

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 138  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment