Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Tue November 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Granted I don't watch much late night tv so my sample size is fairly small but this is my favorite of the late night shows.

Tue November 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Biff Pocoroba wrote:Granted I don't watch much late night tv so my sample size is fairly small but this is my favorite of the late night shows.

Not saying much with the current crop.

Tue November 17, 2015 8:05 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:Granted I don't watch much late night tv so my sample size is fairly small but this is my favorite of the late night shows.

Not saying much with the current crop.

Yeah, the bar is pretty low compared to this time last year.

Tue November 17, 2015 8:07 pm

I watched a whole bunch of puppet era Craig Ferguson clips last night and got sad.

Tue November 17, 2015 8:10 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:I watched a whole bunch of puppet era Craig Ferguson clips last night and got sad.

:cry:

Tue November 17, 2015 8:12 pm

get over it

Tue November 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Strat wrote:get over it

i hope you hate the force awakens you piece of trash

Tue November 17, 2015 8:24 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:get over it

i hope you hate the force awakens you piece of trash

I know that you dont mean that

Thu December 24, 2015 9:18 pm

"That's one of the reasons I stopped the old show is that I had a sense where the country is," explained Colbert, who rose to prominence as the host of "The Colbert Report," a Comedy Central show that satirized conservative punditry. "I think people don't really want constant divisiveness. I really don't think they want that. And that's what I was aping. And I thought, 'Ah, I can't really drink that cup anymore. Cause I don't think people really want to hear it.'"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephen-col ... ction-bid/

Sun December 27, 2015 1:12 pm

He was right. Personally, I was tired of it.

Mon February 01, 2016 10:43 pm

They're really good at that.

Tue February 23, 2016 6:27 pm

When it comes to political commentary, Sam Bee's new show is much better than Colbert and Noah right now.

Tue February 23, 2016 6:49 pm

darth_vedder wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:Kinda shocked that I like the new Daily Show more than this.

How is the new Daily Show? I haven't watched it?

Samantha Bee's Full Frontal is where it's at, if you're looking for this sort of thing.
Edit: ST beat me to it, just hadn't seen his post.

Tue February 23, 2016 6:54 pm

We're on the same wavelength today, I guess!

Sam Bee just has a sharper wit and much, much better timing than Trevor Noah; they're working with basically the same material, but her jokes just hit one after another after another. It helps that she spent years as a correspondent on TDS, so she's got a ready-made persona that can carry a program. I also think Noah feels like he's gotta carry on Stewart's perspective, which was as critical of the media as it was of political figures/movements/etc., instead of coming up with his own POV. This allows Bee to skewer individuals--like her piece on Kasich from last night--without having the specter of Fox News' "Bullshit Mountain" or CNN's cluelessness behind her.

I haven't watched Colbert in weeks, so I dunno if he's gotten better after the new year.

Tue February 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Simple Torture wrote:We're on the same wavelength today, I guess!

Sam Bee just has a sharper wit and much, much better timing than Trevor Noah; they're working with basically the same material, but her jokes just hit one after another after another. It helps that she spent years as a correspondent on TDS, so she's got a ready-made persona that can carry a program. I also think Noah feels like he's gotta carry on Stewart's perspective, which was as critical of the media as it was of political figures/movements/etc., instead of coming up with his own POV. This allows Bee to skewer individuals--like her piece on Kasich from last night--without having the specter of Fox News' "Bullshit Mountain" or CNN's cluelessness behind her.

I haven't watched Colbert in weeks, so I dunno if he's gotten better after the new year.

Man, her character and viewpoint are so refreshing. Noah, on the other hand, just strikes me as disinterested in saying anything new; I feel like he is treating the job as a stepping stone to another gig.

Bee is razor-sharp. The bit in the pilot where she, speaking as Hillary Clinton, took on the devil voice? "Anoint meeee!"
And when she characterized Sanders's finger wagging during the debate as trying to flag down a waitress?
And her attack on the dumb senator who is lobbying for a female dress code in the state house?
All hysterical, and all jokes that are emboldened, if not entirely reliant on, her being a woman.

I just don't get any sense that Noah is imparting his personal experience into his bits, which is a bummer -- you'd think a black man from South Africa would have something refreshing to say.

Tue February 23, 2016 11:10 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:We're on the same wavelength today, I guess!

Man, her character and viewpoint are so refreshing. Noah, on the other hand, just strikes me as disinterested in saying anything new; I feel like he is treating the job as a stepping stone to another gig.

Bee is razor-sharp. The bit in the pilot where she, speaking as Hillary Clinton, took on the devil voice? "Anoint meeee!"
And when she characterized Sanders's finger wagging during the debate as trying to flag down a waitress?
And her attack on the dumb senator who is lobbying for a female dress code in the state house?
All hysterical, and all jokes that are emboldened, if not entirely reliant on, her being a woman.

I just don't get any sense that Noah is imparting his personal experience into his bits, which is a bummer -- you'd think a black man from South Africa would have something refreshing to say.

He does bring this up from time-to-time, and I do end up giggling, but the butt of the jokes always seems to be: Africa's a weird place. I know that the real joke is that white people think Africa's a weird place, but the jokes just aren't hitting yet.

Tue February 23, 2016 11:53 pm

Man that Casey Affleck interview was awkward as hell.

Sun July 17, 2016 1:16 am

We have desperately missed Jon Stewart during this election season — but he’s coming back next week to cover the Republican National Convention.

Vulture reports that Stewart will reunite with longtime partner in crime Stephen Colbert next week to offer coverage of the RNC on The Late Show.

“Colbert is anchoring the Late Show from New York, so it doesn’t seem a stretch to imagine — or maybe the word is ‘pray’ — Stewart will be on location in Cleveland as a correspondent at the RNC,” Vulture speculates.

This would be quite a role reversal, of course, since in the past Colbert has served as a correspondent while Stewart has served as anchor.

Either way, we’ll know more about Stewart’s role on The Late Show by early next week.

Sun July 17, 2016 1:22 am

Great

Tue July 19, 2016 4:03 am

:ohyeah!:
Post a reply