The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue November 17, 2015 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 4484
Location: 5th floor, Bay 8, position 5851
Granted I don't watch much late night tv so my sample size is fairly small but this is my favorite of the late night shows.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue November 17, 2015 7:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34140
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Granted I don't watch much late night tv so my sample size is fairly small but this is my favorite of the late night shows.

Not saying much with the current crop.

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue November 17, 2015 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 4484
Location: 5th floor, Bay 8, position 5851
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Granted I don't watch much late night tv so my sample size is fairly small but this is my favorite of the late night shows.

Not saying much with the current crop.


Yeah, the bar is pretty low compared to this time last year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue November 17, 2015 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 49314
Location: Sector 7-G
I watched a whole bunch of puppet era Craig Ferguson clips last night and got sad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue November 17, 2015 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34140
Location: this field intentionally left blank
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I watched a whole bunch of puppet era Craig Ferguson clips last night and got sad.

:cry:

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue November 17, 2015 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 33244
Location: Mountains
get over it


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue November 17, 2015 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34140
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Strat wrote:
get over it

i hope you hate the force awakens you piece of trash

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue November 17, 2015 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 33244
Location: Mountains
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
get over it

i hope you hate the force awakens you piece of trash

I know that you dont mean that


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Thu December 24, 2015 9:18 pm 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 31267
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
"That's one of the reasons I stopped the old show is that I had a sense where the country is," explained Colbert, who rose to prominence as the host of "The Colbert Report," a Comedy Central show that satirized conservative punditry. "I think people don't really want constant divisiveness. I really don't think they want that. And that's what I was aping. And I thought, 'Ah, I can't really drink that cup anymore. Cause I don't think people really want to hear it.'"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephen-col ... ction-bid/

_________________
"anticipation of death is worse than death itself" - Steven Seagal, Hard to Kill


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Sun December 27, 2015 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 2927
Location: right there
He was right. Personally, I was tired of it.

_________________
It always has to get a little weird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Mon February 01, 2016 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3672
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
They're really good at that.

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13193
Location: Cumberland, RI
When it comes to political commentary, Sam Bee's new show is much better than Colbert and Noah right now.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 19097
darth_vedder wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Kinda shocked that I like the new Daily Show more than this.


How is the new Daily Show? I haven't watched it?


Samantha Bee's Full Frontal is where it's at, if you're looking for this sort of thing.
Edit: ST beat me to it, just hadn't seen his post.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13193
Location: Cumberland, RI
We're on the same wavelength today, I guess!

Sam Bee just has a sharper wit and much, much better timing than Trevor Noah; they're working with basically the same material, but her jokes just hit one after another after another. It helps that she spent years as a correspondent on TDS, so she's got a ready-made persona that can carry a program. I also think Noah feels like he's gotta carry on Stewart's perspective, which was as critical of the media as it was of political figures/movements/etc., instead of coming up with his own POV. This allows Bee to skewer individuals--like her piece on Kasich from last night--without having the specter of Fox News' "Bullshit Mountain" or CNN's cluelessness behind her.

I haven't watched Colbert in weeks, so I dunno if he's gotten better after the new year.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 19097
Simple Torture wrote:
We're on the same wavelength today, I guess!

Sam Bee just has a sharper wit and much, much better timing than Trevor Noah; they're working with basically the same material, but her jokes just hit one after another after another. It helps that she spent years as a correspondent on TDS, so she's got a ready-made persona that can carry a program. I also think Noah feels like he's gotta carry on Stewart's perspective, which was as critical of the media as it was of political figures/movements/etc., instead of coming up with his own POV. This allows Bee to skewer individuals--like her piece on Kasich from last night--without having the specter of Fox News' "Bullshit Mountain" or CNN's cluelessness behind her.

I haven't watched Colbert in weeks, so I dunno if he's gotten better after the new year.


Man, her character and viewpoint are so refreshing. Noah, on the other hand, just strikes me as disinterested in saying anything new; I feel like he is treating the job as a stepping stone to another gig.

Bee is razor-sharp. The bit in the pilot where she, speaking as Hillary Clinton, took on the devil voice? "Anoint meeee!"
And when she characterized Sanders's finger wagging during the debate as trying to flag down a waitress?
And her attack on the dumb senator who is lobbying for a female dress code in the state house?
All hysterical, and all jokes that are emboldened, if not entirely reliant on, her being a woman.

I just don't get any sense that Noah is imparting his personal experience into his bits, which is a bummer -- you'd think a black man from South Africa would have something refreshing to say.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13193
Location: Cumberland, RI
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
We're on the same wavelength today, I guess!

Sam Bee just has a sharper wit and much, much better timing than Trevor Noah; they're working with basically the same material, but her jokes just hit one after another after another. It helps that she spent years as a correspondent on TDS, so she's got a ready-made persona that can carry a program. I also think Noah feels like he's gotta carry on Stewart's perspective, which was as critical of the media as it was of political figures/movements/etc., instead of coming up with his own POV. This allows Bee to skewer individuals--like her piece on Kasich from last night--without having the specter of Fox News' "Bullshit Mountain" or CNN's cluelessness behind her.

I haven't watched Colbert in weeks, so I dunno if he's gotten better after the new year.


Man, her character and viewpoint are so refreshing. Noah, on the other hand, just strikes me as disinterested in saying anything new; I feel like he is treating the job as a stepping stone to another gig.

Bee is razor-sharp. The bit in the pilot where she, speaking as Hillary Clinton, took on the devil voice? "Anoint meeee!"
And when she characterized Sanders's finger wagging during the debate as trying to flag down a waitress?
And her attack on the dumb senator who is lobbying for a female dress code in the state house?
All hysterical, and all jokes that are emboldened, if not entirely reliant on, her being a woman.

I just don't get any sense that Noah is imparting his personal experience into his bits, which is a bummer -- you'd think a black man from South Africa would have something refreshing to say.


He does bring this up from time-to-time, and I do end up giggling, but the butt of the jokes always seems to be: Africa's a weird place. I know that the real joke is that white people think Africa's a weird place, but the jokes just aren't hitting yet.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34140
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Man that Casey Affleck interview was awkward as hell.

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Sun July 17, 2016 1:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 17526
Quote:
We have desperately missed Jon Stewart during this election season — but he’s coming back next week to cover the Republican National Convention.

Vulture reports that Stewart will reunite with longtime partner in crime Stephen Colbert next week to offer coverage of the RNC on The Late Show.

“Colbert is anchoring the Late Show from New York, so it doesn’t seem a stretch to imagine — or maybe the word is ‘pray’ — Stewart will be on location in Cleveland as a correspondent at the RNC,” Vulture speculates.

This would be quite a role reversal, of course, since in the past Colbert has served as a correspondent while Stewart has served as anchor.

Either way, we’ll know more about Stewart’s role on The Late Show by early next week.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Sun July 17, 2016 1:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34140
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Great

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Tue July 19, 2016 4:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 17526
:ohyeah!:


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 1:33 am