The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Who will die?
Iron Man 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Captain America 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
Thor 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Black Widow 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Hawkeye 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Hulk 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Nick Fury 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Maria Hill 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Pepper Potts 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Jane Foster 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Sharon Carter 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Vision 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
Scarlet Witch 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Black Panther 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Okoye 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Shuri 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Bucky 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Ant-Man 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Wasp 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Hank Pym 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Spider-Man 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Dr. Strange 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Wong 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
War Machine 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Falcon 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Star Lord 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Gamora 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Drax 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Rocket 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Groot 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Mantis 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Nebula 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Kraglin 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Captain Marvel 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Ms. Marvel 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Black Bolt 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Daredevil 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Jessica Jones 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
The Punisher 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Luke Cage 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Iron Fist 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Phil Coulson 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Ghost Rider 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Silver Surfer 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Mr. Fantastic 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Wolverine 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Ruddo 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Peter Dinklage 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 175
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 3114
Location: right there
Yeah, I was right impressed with how the Black Order looked. They were awesome.

_________________
It always has to get a little weird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 8952
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
doone wrote:
Yeah, I was right impressed with how the Black Order looked. They were awesome.


:shock:

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 2180
bada wrote:
I don't know why but I think Black Panther's sister will be Ironheart one day.


I thought for sure this was gonna happen when Tony was fighting thanos at the end

I kinda still think this is gonna happen


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31634
Monkey_Driven wrote:
stip wrote:

In some ways this reminds me of some of the complaints about TLJ with Snoke's lack of backstory. Most characters who are not your primary antagonist/protagonist don't get backstories. We get nothing in the OT by way of backstory for Han Solo or Obi Wan or the Emperor or Even Vader (certainly not more than we got for Snoke). And that's fine because their backstories are not necessary for the story. But in a world of exhaustive wookiepedia entries for even the most minor of star wars characters we can bring with us the expectation that we should be able to interact with the characters in the film as encyclopedia entries rather than characters in a moment in service of a story. Snoke's backstory might be an interesting thing to learn about outside of the movie, but it doesn't necessarily belong in the movie. It's bringing in expectations that exist outside of the story and baking them into the story.



What are you even taking about here? The Marvel characters have had 18 movies prior to tell their backstories and establish relationships with one another. Movies the audience is expected to have seen prior to this. I don't really see the comparison at all. Snoke's death was shocking/funny/impactful because it moved the story forward for the main character of Kylo. He was never a main character. Outside of Gamora, the deaths in this film were random. Not the result of a choice, hubris, or specific action for most of these characters. We will see how the surviving characters deal with the fallout and maybe my opinion will change, but for now, it seems like a cop out.



That people bring expectations/knowledge that can and should live outside of the storytelling narrative into their judgement and evaluation of the narrative. The 'deaths feel like a copout because I know some of these guys have movies coming out' What you were describing (and you're hardly the only person to say this) is an example of that phenomena, as was the Snoke complaint.


The randomness of those deaths was the point. Thanos says as much earlier in the movie - that his solution is random, arbitrary, and fair. It is the outcome he wanted. And within Infinity War Thanos was the protagonist/main character. It is his story.

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:04 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 13581
Location: Mizzou
stip wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
stip wrote:

In some ways this reminds me of some of the complaints about TLJ with Snoke's lack of backstory. Most characters who are not your primary antagonist/protagonist don't get backstories. We get nothing in the OT by way of backstory for Han Solo or Obi Wan or the Emperor or Even Vader (certainly not more than we got for Snoke). And that's fine because their backstories are not necessary for the story. But in a world of exhaustive wookiepedia entries for even the most minor of star wars characters we can bring with us the expectation that we should be able to interact with the characters in the film as encyclopedia entries rather than characters in a moment in service of a story. Snoke's backstory might be an interesting thing to learn about outside of the movie, but it doesn't necessarily belong in the movie. It's bringing in expectations that exist outside of the story and baking them into the story.



What are you even taking about here? The Marvel characters have had 18 movies prior to tell their backstories and establish relationships with one another. Movies the audience is expected to have seen prior to this. I don't really see the comparison at all. Snoke's death was shocking/funny/impactful because it moved the story forward for the main character of Kylo. He was never a main character. Outside of Gamora, the deaths in this film were random. Not the result of a choice, hubris, or specific action for most of these characters. We will see how the surviving characters deal with the fallout and maybe my opinion will change, but for now, it seems like a cop out.



That people bring expectations/knowledge that can and should live outside of the storytelling narrative into their judgement and evaluation of the narrative. The 'deaths feel like a copout because I know some of these guys have movies coming out' What you were describing (and you're hardly the only person to say this) is an example of that phenomena, as was the Snoke complaint.


The randomness of those deaths was the point. Thanos says as much earlier in the movie - that his solution is random, arbitrary, and fair. It is the outcome he wanted. And within Infinity War Thanos was the protagonist/main character. It is his story.


Thanks for better articulating your point. I actually enjoyed most of the movie.

I still didn't find the end emotionally satisfying. Even without the context of the future movies etc., there is enough in this story (and I include the previous 18 movies) to know these deaths are not permanent.

In the end we just disagree and that's ok.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31634
even within the movie though, do we know that this is the case without the outside assumption that the good guys have to win?

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 8593
Once is usually enough but I wouldn't mind seeing this again.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 20753
$200 million opening weekend In china

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 4856
Location: Washington State

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 4856
Location: Washington State
Weird how there's a dude named
Spoiler: show
Eternity in the Marvel universe, and he just happens to take on Thanos sans Gauntlet.



Together with the cosmic hierarchy Eternity opposes the Eternal Thanos when the villain wields the Infinity Gauntlet, although they are all eventually defeated.[13] Once Thanos is eventually dispatched (courtesy of his own carelessness), Eternity unsuccessfully advises fellow cosmic entity the Living Tribunal against allowing the Infinity Gems to be used in conjunction.[14] Eternity develops animosity towards the artificial being Adam Warlock, whom the entity encounters on several occasions.[15]

Oh and he doesn't like Adam, who was in both Guardians movies. (Regardless of what James Gunn says, he was in both of them.)

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Fri June 01, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 4856
Location: Washington State


What a stupid spoiler.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Fri June 01, 2018 8:30 pm 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32034
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
What's the 22 mean?

_________________
happiness is a temporary condition.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 1:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 8952
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Is it the number of avengers in the movie?

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49175
Captain marvel is probably the 22nd marvel movie

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 2:13 am 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32034
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
B wrote:
Is it the number of avengers in the movie?

The thought crossed my mind

_________________
happiness is a temporary condition.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 8952
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
My research tells me that IW has earned 2.2 billion whatever a Chinese dollar is.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31634
i was really close to seeing this again last night, but i was too sleepy

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 4:18 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 30591
Location: gone fishin'
You have watched this like five times!!!! WATCH A GROWNUP MOVIE FOR ONCE

_________________
oh no!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 13785
theplatypus wrote:
You have watched this like five times!!!! WATCH A GROWNUP MOVIE FOR ONCE


:lol:

Its so true though.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Infinity War 2018
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31634
My life is a grown up movie


(also just 3 times)

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri June 22, 2018 3:58 am