The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32766
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Lindelof is mostly garbage, but maybe he'll have more luck on the small screen than he did on the big screen.

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32766
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Breaking Bad was sort of disappointing and a bit of a cop-out. It seemed to spit in the face of it's own overarching themes and contradict the underlying danger of consequences that the show had built so well.

wat

Spoiler: show
Walter got off easy and never had to actually pay for his actions. He gets to go out a hero and save his family at the same time.
The series made no bones during the run about real consequences to illegal actions. To me, the show felt like it tried to force WW into a hero role, which I don't think was earned or appropriate. It was kind of a cop-out. Fine, he died. But he still go everything else he wanted and I think he deserved worse than a pseudo "heroes death." The show had set the viewers up for something totally different. Time and time again. Then it sort of just... chickened out.

He did one decent thing before he died, but it was as much out of vengeance than heroism. His family was utterly destroyed and Jesse was a broken shell. He didn't die a hero. He died surrounded by meth, the only thing he had left in the end.

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 31117
Location: gone fishin'
Spoiler: show
I liked the ending, but let's not pretend those last 2 episodes weren't meant to serve as a redemption arc. He took down a bunch of Nazis with a crazy machine gun apparatus (PRETTY HEROIC), saved his sidekick, secured the money for his family, and made peace with his estranged wife. He died a peaceful death, surrounded by what he loved (the lab equipment).

_________________
oh no!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 64400
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Breaking Bad was sort of disappointing and a bit of a cop-out. It seemed to spit in the face of it's own overarching themes and contradict the underlying danger of consequences that the show had built so well.

wat

Spoiler: show
Walter got off easy and never had to actually pay for his actions. He gets to go out a hero and save his family at the same time.
The series made no bones during the run about real consequences to illegal actions. To me, the show felt like it tried to force WW into a hero role, which I don't think was earned or appropriate. It was kind of a cop-out. Fine, he died. But he still go everything else he wanted and I think he deserved worse than a pseudo "heroes death." The show had set the viewers up for something totally different. Time and time again. Then it sort of just... chickened out.

He did one decent thing before he died, but it was as much out of vengeance than heroism. His family was utterly destroyed and Jesse was a broken shell. He didn't die a hero. He died surrounded by meth, the only thing he had left in the end.

Spoiler: show
He gets to win. He beats the bad guys. He gets his revenge. His family gets the money. He saves Jessie. He wins as much as a guy in his situation possibly can. I just think that's a writer/show-runner getting in the way. And Breaking Bad did that a lot. My biggest issue with the series was the way it would bend the characters, even making them act out of character, for the sake of plot rather than listening to what's been established and allowing moments to be completely earned or grow organically. The ending was no different. And it was fine. I don't hate the ending. But did feel like a forced save as opposed to the "right" ending, to me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 13910
Location: Mizzou
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Breaking Bad was sort of disappointing and a bit of a cop-out. It seemed to spit in the face of it's own overarching themes and contradict the underlying danger of consequences that the show had built so well.

wat

Spoiler: show
Walter got off easy and never had to actually pay for his actions. He gets to go out a hero and save his family at the same time.
The series made no bones during the run about real consequences to illegal actions. To me, the show felt like it tried to force WW into a hero role, which I don't think was earned or appropriate. It was kind of a cop-out. Fine, he died. But he still go everything else he wanted and I think he deserved worse than a pseudo "heroes death." The show had set the viewers up for something totally different. Time and time again. Then it sort of just... chickened out.

He did one decent thing before he died, but it was as much out of vengeance than heroism. His family was utterly destroyed and Jesse was a broken shell. He didn't die a hero. He died surrounded by meth, the only thing he had left in the end.

Spoiler: show
He gets to win. He beats the bad guys. He gets his revenge. His family gets the money. He saves Jessie. He wins as much as a guy in his situation possibly can. I just think that's a writer/show-runner getting in the way. And Breaking Bad did that a lot. My biggest issue with the series was the way it would bend the characters, even making them act out of character, for the sake of plot rather than listening to what's been established and allowing moments to be completely earned or grow organically. The ending was no different. And it was fine. I don't hate the ending. But did feel like a forced save as opposed to the "right" ending, to me.


I agree. The ending becomes more and more unsatisfying to me as get further away from it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 21036
I was totally happy with the ending to BB. What I hated was the far-too-long arc of Jessie's nihilistic addict phase, throwing money around at his parties, that stuff just became so tedious.

The last 2-3 seasons of Lost were an abomination.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32766
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
I didn't feel like anything was out of character. My only complaint was that The machine gun bit was a little contrived, but then again the show had similar contrived bits.

After hank died, the show was all about punishing Walter. The aftermath, viewed over the last episodes, was devastating. If the last episode ends on a slightly higher note, I don't have a problem with that.

The story is essentially over once he realizes why he really did the things he did. After that, he wouldn't act the same way he did up to that point. He deserved a small redemption I think (though it was far too little too late).

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32766
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
I see that there is a The Mist series now. Anyone heard about it?

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 35813
BurtReynolds wrote:
I see that there is a The Mist series now. Anyone heard about it?

Some of the imagery looks pretty intense. I'm skeptical, but I'll give it a shot.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
Life is a confusing, horrifying nightmare that only ends in death. There is no hope.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49878
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I see that there is a The Mist series now. Anyone heard about it?

Some of the imagery looks pretty intense. I'm skeptical, but I'll give it a shot.

Why do they do this with Stephen King books? These books have a clear ending/resolution. This will suck just like Under the Dome sucked.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 35813
well the movie already sucked so

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
Life is a confusing, horrifying nightmare that only ends in death. There is no hope.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 12108
Location: there all is aching
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I see that there is a The Mist series now. Anyone heard about it?

Some of the imagery looks pretty intense. I'm skeptical, but I'll give it a shot.

Why do they do this with Stephen King books? These books have a clear ending/resolution. This will suck just like Under the Dome sucked.


It's crazy how bad under the dome was. It's like it was intended as a parody of crappy network TV.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What a great post, tommy


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 13345
Location: mtlqcca
theplatypus wrote:
Spoiler: show
I liked the ending, but let's not pretend those last 2 episodes weren't meant to serve as a redemption arc. He took down a bunch of Nazis with a crazy machine gun apparatus (PRETTY HEROIC), saved his sidekick, secured the money for his family, and made peace with his estranged wife. He died a peaceful death, surrounded by what he loved (the lab equipment).

About BrBa ending
Spoiler: show
I don't think they did the redemptive arc correctly, and that is my major problem with the ending. Walt goes to the Nazis hoping to kill Jesse, bc he's mad at Jesse bc he thinks Jesse is cooking Walt's secret recipe. A season ago, that motivation would've been fine. But post-Hank and post-New Hampshire, that rang false. He should've known Jesse never would've willingly worked with the Nazis (that was clear at that point) and Walt should've gone there to save Jesse, an open acknowledgment that this would be his redemption. Instead, Walt goes in the name of revenge and stumbles into redemption in a split second decision (jumps on Jesse). His redemption would be more powerful and meaningful if he did it on purpose.

It just wasn't right

_________________



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 5006
Location: Washington State
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
So, apparently HBO wants Damon Lindelof to show-run their new Watchmen series. People are gonna shit if that happens.


If it is half as good as the Leftovers I am on board. The butthurt over the LOST ending is one of the most tired things on the internet.

Totally agree. I'm a big Lindelof fan. I think this is outstanding news. I hope he commits. I'd love to see Watchmen as an HBO series.

If they leave the pirate thing off, I'm in. I didn't get the "deeper" story from it at all when I read the book.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 5006
Location: Washington State
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I see that there is a The Mist series now. Anyone heard about it?

Some of the imagery looks pretty intense. I'm skeptical, but I'll give it a shot.

Why do they do this with Stephen King books? These books have a clear ending/resolution. This will suck just like Under the Dome sucked.
I was going to say a version of this
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
well the movie already sucked so

But that the book already sucked. Probably the only SK book I actively dislike. I don't hate it, I just hate the introduction of aliens and then suddenly that's why everything's happening. I don't know why, it just felt like too much of a Tommyknockers pseudo-sequel or something, just derivative of his own work.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2017 12:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 13345
Location: mtlqcca
Heisenberg died in New Hampshire. All that was left was Walter White. And Walter White cares about Jesse. He isn't jealous or vengeful. They flubbed that key element. Which is tragic because through the penultimate episode, they nailed it.

_________________



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 2:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 31117
Location: gone fishin'
I didn't have this thought, but it seems accurate


_________________
oh no!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 4615
Location: 5th floor, Bay 8, position 5851
The Middle is calling it a wrap after this coming season. While it had zero buzz and even less of a hip factor it's been an underappreciated, solid family sitcom throughout its run.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 8767
Quote:
Original “Karate Kid” Gets A Sequel Series

Original “The Karate Kid” stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are reuniting on “Cobra Kai,” a sequel series to the classic films being developed for YouTube Red.

The ten-episode, half-hour series is set thirty years after the events of the 1984 film. A down-and-out Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) seeks redemption by reopening the Cobra Kai karate dojo.

This reignites his rivalry with the successful Daniel LaRusso (Macchio), who has been struggling to maintain a life balance without the guidance of his late mentor Mr. Miyagi.

“Hot Tub Time Machine” scribe Josh Heald and “Harold & Kumar” creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg will pen and executive produce the series which is being made by Sony Pictures Television Studios and Overbrook Entertainment.

Hurwitz and Schlossberg will direct much of the series while James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett will also executive produce.

Source: The Live Feed


I'd watch that shit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 21036
bada wrote:
Quote:
Original “Karate Kid” Gets A Sequel Series

Original “The Karate Kid” stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are reuniting on “Cobra Kai,” a sequel series to the classic films being developed for YouTube Red.

The ten-episode, half-hour series is set thirty years after the events of the 1984 film. A down-and-out Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) seeks redemption by reopening the Cobra Kai karate dojo.

This reignites his rivalry with the successful Daniel LaRusso (Macchio), who has been struggling to maintain a life balance without the guidance of his late mentor Mr. Miyagi.

“Hot Tub Time Machine” scribe Josh Heald and “Harold & Kumar” creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg will pen and executive produce the series which is being made by Sony Pictures Television Studios and Overbrook Entertainment.

Hurwitz and Schlossberg will direct much of the series while James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett will also executive produce.

Source: The Live Feed


I'd watch that shit.

:heartbeat:


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rangi Guy and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon July 16, 2018 3:03 am