The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Board/Card Games
PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 1:55 pm 
The Master

Anyone been playing fun board/card games? We have a group that has been playing the following once or twice a week or so.

-Dominion (just got it; really enjoying it)
-Settlers of Catan
-Qwirkle
-Ticket to Ride

What are some of your favorites?

Post subject: Re: Board/Card Games
PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 2:08 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

My wife and I have been enjoying Carcassonne for the past couple of years. I'm embarrassed by how many expansions we've bought :oops:

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 2:25 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
My wife and I have been enjoying Carcassonne for the past couple of years. I'm embarrassed by how many expansions we've bought :oops:

Don't be. I think in our group of 4 of 5 couples who play regularly we own all the expansions of Settlers of Catan twice over.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 2:33 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

My family plays a few 5-6 hour games of Trivial Pursuit every summer (since adding in-laws, the games have just gotten longer). We've been playing the "Millennium" edition for years now, but after seeing this thread, I'm going to go buy an updated edition for my mom's birthday later this week!

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 2:56 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
My family plays a few 5-6 hour games of Trivial Pursuit every summer (since adding in-laws, the games have just gotten longer). We've been playing the "Millennium" edition for years now, but after seeing this thread, I'm going to go buy an updated edition for my mom's birthday later this week!

Do it!

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 3:08 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

We get together with my brother and sister-in-law quite often and play euchre for hours.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 3:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

my wife and I play backgammon a lot

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 3:13 pm 
Poster of the Year

Really dig Dominion and Settlers of Catan. Played 3 games of Settlers last night (won 2 of them)

M_D, do you just have the traditional Dominion set or did you get any expansion packs? Some of the expansion packs are really good.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 3:13 pm 
Poster of the Year

Ticket to Ride is alright, I'd rather play something else though.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 3:20 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Really dig Dominion and Settlers of Catan. Played 3 games of Settlers last night (won 2 of them)

M_D, do you just have the traditional Dominion set or did you get any expansion packs? Some of the expansion packs are really good.

We just got Dominion a couple of weeks ago. Still on the traditional set, but we have already started researching expansion packs. Do you have a recommendation? I love how every game is different.

Have you ever played the 5-6 player expansion of Settlers? Makes the game more enjoyable to me because you can build every turn.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 3:23 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Ticket to Ride is alright, I'd rather play something else though.

Ticket to Ride is a good game to play with people who don't want to think too much (i.e. parents) or kids.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 3:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

mf wrote:

whoa

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 4:23 pm 
Poster of the Year

Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

We just got Dominion a couple of weeks ago. Still on the traditional set, but we have already started researching expansion packs. Do you have a recommendation? I love how every game is different.

Have you ever played the 5-6 player expansion of Settlers? Makes the game more enjoyable to me because you can build every turn.

The traditional set is great. I recommend Hinterlands, Dark Ages, and Prosperity to add on though. I also tried Seaside but I never go back and play it.

At this point my friends and I keep a randomizer deck with just our favorite cards from each set and use that to choose our setup.

I haven't played the Settlers expansion pack though, will look into it. I actually prefer playing Settlers with 3 people instead of 4, leaves more room on the board.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 5:42 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

This thread isn't what I expected it to be about.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 5:46 pm 
Poster of the Year

What were you expecting, cribbage via posting?

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 6:01 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 6:06 pm 
Poster of the Year

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I used to play that with my dad all the time.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 6:31 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

The traditional set is great. I recommend Hinterlands, Dark Ages, and Prosperity to add on though. I also tried Seaside but I never go back and play it.

At this point my friends and I keep a randomizer deck with just our favorite cards from each set and use that to choose our setup.

I haven't played the Settlers expansion pack though, will look into it. I actually prefer playing Settlers with 3 people instead of 4, leaves more room on the board.

I can see us using the Randomizer cards a lot more once we've played a few games with every card. So far I prefer the action cards that allow you to junk cards or upgrade them for better ones.

The 5-6 play expansion adds more tiles so it plays more like a 3-4 person game. The only difference is you have more trade partners and you can build on every turn.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 6:39 pm 
Poster of the Year

Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I can see us using the Randomizer cards a lot more once we've played a few games with every card. So far I prefer the action cards that allow you to junk cards or upgrade them for better ones.

The 5-6 play expansion adds more tiles so it plays more like a 3-4 person game. The only difference is you have more trade partners and you can build on every turn.

Even with the expansions you still only play with 10 stacks of cards on the table.

PostPosted: Mon July 28, 2014 6:53 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Even with the expansions you still only play with 10 stacks of cards on the table.

Right, which makes the game a bit more consistent or fair than a game like Magic where everyone has their own deck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment