The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO Show: Westworld
PostPosted: Wed November 16, 2016 12:44 am 
AnalLog

Definitely could be a host/body for Ford but I was thinking it was host/clone of Theresa. Who the hell knows. It's been a good 1st season so far.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 12:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Now the running theory is that there are three timelines wtffffffff Westworld.

Why? What in the show mandates multiple timelines?

The running theory is that: since no humans have interacted between the William and Man in Black stories (only hosts like Dolores and Lawrence, who don't have a lifespan and don't age), that there's no reason to believe yet that they're occurring at the same time; many people believe that William is the Man in Black (which is why we haven't heard his name yet, and we know Ed Harris is rich, and we know that William is about to marry into money). There are holes in this theory, but it's possible.

One more thing about this, it would be hard to imagine a transformative event in William that would get him to point of committing acts of sexual violence against Dolores.

jwfocker wrote:
Definitely could be a host/body for Ford but I was thinking it was host/clone of Theresa. Who the hell knows. It's been a good 1st season so far.

It has been good so far. I've been trying to avoid online chatter about it, to avoid spoilers, but it seems like I ahve been missing quite a few of the easter eggs.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 12:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

The running theory is that: since no humans have interacted between the William and Man in Black stories (only hosts like Dolores and Lawrence, who don't have a lifespan and don't age), that there's no reason to believe yet that they're occurring at the same time; many people believe that William is the Man in Black (which is why we haven't heard his name yet, and we know Ed Harris is rich, and we know that William is about to marry into money). There are holes in this theory, but it's possible.

One more thing about this, it would be hard to imagine a transformative event in William that would get him to point of committing acts of sexual violence against Dolores.

jwfocker wrote:

It has been good so far. I've been trying to avoid online chatter about it, to avoid spoilers, but it seems like I ahve been missing quite a few of the easter eggs that are filling out the story. We need that old RMer who did the Lost write-ups to do this show as well.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 12:28 pm 
A Return To Form

Bi_3 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Him falling in love with her and being forgotten, maybe?

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 12:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Maybe. If he ends up leaving, marrying the douche's sister, Maeve escapes (with William) kills that family because she sees them as the slave owners, and William comes back to figure out what was the point.

It's interesting that Dolores is so far off of her loop (drop the can, get raped, repeat) and we haven't seen the park managers talking about it.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 12:51 pm 
The Beef

Bi_3 wrote:

Do we actually see the MIB commit such an act at any point? My vague recollection was that it was a cutaway moment.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 12:56 pm 
The Beef

Bi_3 wrote:
Maybe. If he ends up leaving, marrying the douche's sister, Maeve escapes (with William) kills that family because she sees them as the slave owners, and William comes back to figure out what was the point.

It's interesting that Dolores is so far off of her loop (drop the can, get raped, repeat) and we haven't seen the park managers talking about it.

Surely she'd just have a "with guest" flag that would be active? They could check in from time and time and make sure it wasn't a false positive, but otherwise just let the guest do their thing.

Additionally - the show's mentioned a few times that Ford's new story is messing with the hosts' routines, so nobody seems to know exactly what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 2:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

ABNorman wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Do we actually see the MIB commit such an act at any point? My vague recollection was that it was a cutaway moment.

You are correct, it wasn't shown.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 3:46 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

ABNorman wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Surely she'd just have a "with guest" flag that would be active? They could check in from time and time and make sure it wasn't a false positive, but otherwise just let the guest do their thing.

There was the moment where a host walked up to her and said, "Are you supposed to be here? Why not come with me?" And then when William walked over, he let her go with him. This is a crucial knock against the timeline theory, since right before this, we see the Hemsworth brother talking about a host being out of her usual area--and he's in the supposed "present" of the two timelines theory, so he shouldn't be anywhere near William or that Dolores. You can explain it away: he could be a host, too (therefore, he wouldn't age between the two time periods) or maybe he's talking about a different host. But these seem like bend-over-backwards explanations; the easiest way to explain it away is to say that there's just one timeline.

Quote:
Additionally - the show's mentioned a few times that Ford's new story is messing with the hosts' routines, so nobody seems to know exactly what's going on.

Similar to above: Ford's new storyline wouldn't mean anything if Dolores and William are years in the past. But I'm still not sold on it.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 3:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

There was the moment where a host walked up to her and said, "Are you supposed to be here? Why not come with me?" And then when William walked over, he let her go with him.
This is a crucial knock against the timeline theory, since right before this, we see the Hemsworth brother talking about a host being out of her usual area--and he's in the supposed "present" of the two timelines theory, so he shouldn't be anywhere near William or that Dolores. You can explain it away: he could be a host, too (therefore, he wouldn't age between the two time periods) or maybe he's talking about a different host. But these seem like bend-over-backwards explanations; the easiest way to explain it away is to say that there's just one timeline.

Yeah, I totally forgot that happened, good call.

PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2016 4:51 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Wonder what happened to that woman who went with Teddy to hunt Wyatt

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 12:35 am 
Future Drummer

We don't actually know what mib did when he took her, I don't think he raped her

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 1:10 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

lowlight79 wrote:
We don't actually know what mib did when he took her, I don't think he raped her

Could've ripped her head off looking for a map or something.

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 5:35 am 
mXn

To think that William is the MIB 30 years earlier is a slap in the face to Ed Harris. I guarantee you Ed Harris didn't look like as much of a pussy as Jimmi Simpson at age 40.

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 7:24 pm 
Future Drummer

I think we are seeing 3 timelines.

Spoiler: show
A) Dolores and Jeffrey Wright AS Arnold
B) MIB who Jimmi 30 years later
C) Jimmi and Dolores from when the park first opened.

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2016 9:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

lowlight79 wrote:
I think we are seeing 3 timelines.

A) Dolores and Jeffrey Wright AS Arnold
B) MIB who Jimmi 30 years later
C) Jimmi and Dolores from when the park first opened.

I hope you are wrong. That's kind of a bullshit story telling trick.

PostPosted: Mon November 21, 2016 8:02 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Didn't really answer what I thought they were going to in episode 8 from that article posted earlier

PostPosted: Mon November 21, 2016 11:55 am 
Looks Like a Cat

On the timelines thing...

Was the church steeple that Dolores ordered destroyed by Ford in a previous episode? That could be the first 'yeah it's really multiple timelines' evidence.

There was also some... uhhh... 'narrative parallelism' (?) between Dolores having the gun to her head when she saw the original town location and MiB's story about his wife.

Also, with regards to super hot corporate chick:

It clearly suggested she was attempting to smuggle data our of the park... but then showed Bernard killing Elsie (maybe that's who Ford was growing in his secret lab). Seems conflicting.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2016 7:22 am 
slower than 82% of US

guys,

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2016 1:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

lame

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment