Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: TV: Cheers

Mon July 13, 2015 9:23 pm

events from Cheers did happen in the Frasier timeline... the one glaring conflict has already been mentioned... Frasier's dad is not dead.

Mon July 13, 2015 9:23 pm

How about everybody else? Do we all agree? Is Cheers canon?

Mon July 13, 2015 9:26 pm

theplatypus wrote:How about everybody else? Do we all agree? Is Cheers canon?

Im sure there are some passing references that don't fit, but nothing glaring.

Mon July 13, 2015 9:48 pm

I've seen most of Frasier, and to be honest I sometimes found it a little boring. Don't get me wrong, it had its moments and Frasier's deadpan delivery floored me at times. Still, I think he was funnier in Cheers. I also enjoy the big ensemble cast of Cheers a heck of a lot more,and like someone said it also had hilarious peripheral characters.

The old guy who just shouted out the odd line every so often was hysterical.

I understand Diane was intentionally awful at times, and sometimes it really worked. But Sam/Diane relationship was sooooo played out by season 3, so the fact it carried on until the end of season 5 was painful. The final scene of them dancing as an old couple is beautiful, though.

Mon July 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Cheers was one of the first shows I was old enough to really appreciate it while it was on; it finished its run while I was in high school. I don't know if it aged necessarily well but like a lot of shows that lasted 10 11 seasons there are plenty of episodes that hold strong even today.
Regarding Frasier's dad yes he does say in Cheers his father is dead. That's addressed in one reunion episode of the spinoff when he tells Martin he extremely mad at his father that time.
They both lasted 11 years which was a big thing for Kelsey Grammer for them to equal. While it did get better in the final season Frasier was starting to feel stretched out by season 9 and season 10 only has a couple episodes worth watching. That said until then episode for episode Frasier matched Seinfeld to me as best sitcom of the '90s.

Mon July 13, 2015 11:54 pm

it's kind of a classic scene, rightfully so, but i still chuckle at it whenever i see it

just look at the smirk on his face when he comes back around.

Mon July 13, 2015 11:56 pm

and in case anyone missed it roger rees, who played robin colcord, passed away this weekend.

Tue July 14, 2015 1:30 am

we did every cheers ep then every frasier ep last winter. both are great, but frasier gets the nod.

Mon January 17, 2022 8:08 am

In 2022 I will watch all of the Cheers

Starting episode 1 right now

Mon January 17, 2022 8:10 am

Good luck and enjoy. That's a real classic.
Last edited by Anders on Mon January 17, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon January 17, 2022 8:11 am

Shut up

Mon January 17, 2022 8:28 am

What the fuck? I have no recollection of this "Coach" character

Mon January 17, 2022 8:40 am

That was fun. Kind of tentative, but fun. How many sitcoms start off with a wedding fiasco as their inciting incident? Just this and Friends?

Mon January 17, 2022 9:07 am

I loved Cheers when it came out. Think I would still enjoy it.

Coach was there before Woody.

Mon January 17, 2022 9:28 pm

Jorge wrote:In 2022 I will watch all of the Cheers

Starting episode 1 right now

Fuck yeah.

Mon January 17, 2022 9:41 pm

Jorge wrote:What the fuck? I have no recollection of this "Coach" character

Jorge.

Mon January 17, 2022 10:04 pm

Not only was the last time I actively watched Cheers many years ago when I was a small child, I think most of the episodes I saw were from the Woody Harrelson era

Mon January 17, 2022 10:28 pm

I too will admit to wondering about Coach when I first met him, but I guess it's been so long that I now assume that everyone knows all the Cheers characters in the internet age.

You won't find a more loveable soul than Nicholas Colasanto.

Mon January 17, 2022 10:29 pm

I'm jealous of your journey. I watched Cheers chronologically when the DVDs were being released annually. I'd get a new season every year for Christmas. One of my first avatars on RM was of Diane.

Mon January 17, 2022 10:54 pm

Anders wrote:Coach was there before Woody.

For Jorge, but not now.

Spoiler: show
This whole thing always resonated with me. I still think about it sometimes. One of my favorite bits of TV lore.

Colasanto's character was written out of the show as also having died. The fourth-season premiere episode, "Birth, Death, Love and Rice" (1985), deals with Coach's death and introduces Colasanto's successor Woody Harrelson, who played Woody Boyd.[24] Colasanto had hung a picture of Geronimo in his dressing room; after his death it was placed on the wall in the bar of the Cheers production set in his memory. Near the end of the final episode of Cheers in 1993, eight years after Colasanto's death, bar owner Sam Malone (Ted Danson) walks over to the picture and straightens it.[25]
Post a reply