The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (7/28/2017)
PostPosted: Wed July 12, 2017 2:42 am 
Rank This Poster

Spoiler: show
also, I called the childish Gambino guy either being robbie or the prowler and I said he should be the prowler if they were looking for diverse heroes

PostPosted: Wed July 12, 2017 2:54 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Could have gone to watch this with my stepsons last night. Opted to drop them off at the theater and go home and watch Fear The Walking Dead

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 2:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

It's hot as ever living FUCK outside today. I get off work at around 3. The hottest goddamn part of the day. Pretty sure I'm gonna punt the afternoon and go see this at the Alamo Drafthouse.

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 4:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
It's hot as ever living FUCK outside today. I get off work at around 3. The hottest goddamn part of the day. Pretty sure I'm gonna punt the afternoon and go see this at the Alamo Drafthouse.

I wish, it's like 70 degrees here and I wanna go swimming

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 4:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

i got bugs wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I wish, it's like 70 degrees here and I wanna go swimming

I'd kill for a 70 degree swim day.

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 6:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Saw it yesterday...i liked Holland and Keaton, i like the whole Ultimate Spider Man vibe...but man, that was boring....really really boring...its still better than Ant Man or Strange but at one point i realized i was bored to death.

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2017 12:13 am 
AnalLog

Heat Index in Baltimore was around 105 today, humidity is God awful--I was able to get out of dental appt early and really should have gone to see this movie dammit. Will wait till the weekend but the goddamn theaters will probably be packed again. Happy to see these (mostly) positive reviews....

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2017 12:40 am 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
Saw it yesterday...i liked Holland and Keaton, i like the whole Ultimate Spider Man vibe...but man, that was boring....really really boring...its still better than Ant Man or Strange but at one point i realized i was bored to death.

I got that bored with Guardians 2.

as for the plot twist...
I didn't SEE it coming, but once it was revealed that Keaton was the girls dad, I rolled my eyes. I really thought they were going to let Peter actually have 1 movie where his love interest isn't in conflict with his villain. (or his best friend and the villain) Not to mention the Villain discovering his secret identity.

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2017 1:53 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This was so much fun!

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2017 2:35 am 
Major Dude

It really was

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2017 1:22 pm 
Rank This Poster

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

as for the plot twist...
I didn't SEE it coming, but once it was revealed that Keaton was the girls dad, I rolled my eyes. I really thought they were going to let Peter actually have 1 movie where his love interest isn't in conflict with his villain. (or his best friend and the villain) Not to mention the Villain discovering his secret identity.

yeah that pissed me off.. it's like they never watched any of the old movies.. why must every villain find out his secret identity and then there's the classic mask-less fight to end the movie

PostPosted: Sat July 15, 2017 11:25 pm 
AnalLog

i got bugs wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

as for the plot twist...

yeah that pissed me off.. it's like they never watched any of the old movies.. why must every villain find out his secret identity and then there's the classic mask-less fight to end the movie

It is funny too, because In the comics, Spider-man had one of the closest guarded secreted identities for the longest time. Only a handful of the Heroes even knew. It wasn't until the Civil War story, when Stark talked him into revealing himself to the world / joining registration that everyone found out. Theres a great Wolverine/Spider-man team up where Logan does the "sniff sniff / hey Pete" and Parker freaks out that his identity is blown. Was what, 6 people in this movie that found out he was Spider-man?
Tony, Pepper, Happy, Ned, Aunt May, Vulture?

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 12:10 am 
jeeeesus relax already

I agree with this review of the movie and the tired formula of the Marvel movies...With this Spidey it was just too fucking boring to see...i was literally waiting for the whole thing to end.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/14/film-crit-hulk-smash-spider-man-the-marvel-fatal-flaw

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 1:25 am 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
I agree with this review of the movie and the tired formula of the Marvel movies...With this Spidey it was just too fucking boring to see...i was literally waiting for the whole thing to end.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/14/film-crit-hulk-smash-spider-man-the-marvel-fatal-flaw

agree 100%

Civil War - Iron Man "we have to be responsible for what we do" ... "I'm gonna go get a 15 year old Spider-man and have him help us take down the ones that are not agreeing to be responsible, then I'm going to give him a super suit for shits and giggles" Pretty much sums up his "Because here's what (almost) every single post-phase one Marvel movie is "about" on the dramatic level of the storytelling: "I'm awesome and/or right! But everyone around me is telling me to wait, be humble, or that I'm wrong! But I wanna go nuts and get ahead of myself! Oh, I got ahead of myself and there was a surprisingly mild consequence to this dangerous thing and I feel bad, so here's a brief moment of humility that doesn't actually stick. Now I'll just wait run around, not actually change, and then just do the same exact thing I was doing before to prove that I'm awesome/right/or learned some lesson I didn't actually learn... Yay, I did it! I win!""

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 1:28 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Just saw a timeline for the Disney movies that are ahed of us...Only one new title. Everything else is a sequel or a live action movie from a Disney classic.

Depressing.

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 2:43 am 
AnalLog

Fuck this movie. Fuck this spiderman.
Vulture was good, though

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 3:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:

"Now I'll just wait run around, not actually change, and then just do the same exact thing I was doing before to prove that I'm awesome/right/or learned some lesson I didn't actually learn... Yay, I did it! I win!"

Um... that's... that's what happens in Homecoming.

But regardless... I guess that's the good thing about not seeing all of the Marvel films and buying into this whole thing as a 25 movie arc or whatever. I don't have the same hangups with Homecoming that the reviewer has because I haven't seen all the Marvel films. And this didn't slot into some sequence for me. It was just a Spider-Man movie.

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 3:35 pm 
The worst

ive seen all of them multiple times, and I recognize what he is saying and it didnt stop me from enjoying the film. Although, as he said in his article, he liked spiderman a lot, despite this narrative critique. And while he has a point (film crit hulk is very smart) i think his point is really more a critique of the superhero story in general, rather than marvel in particular.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 4:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im happy that you guys liked it, im still surprised on how boring and formulaic it was...it felt like they didnt even tried...Even the action sequences were tireless and boring.

Keaton was good though, i hope to see him again soon.

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 6:12 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It would probably be impossible to have a narrative arc across so many movies, but is it too much to ask that the next movie in a franchise doesn't directly contradict the one before? Marvel movies do that all the time.

I think that stories about unchanging heroes that change the world around them is a very underrated form. When it's clumsily hammered into stories that aren't made for it, it feels like the filmmakers don't know what they're doing. That's why I'm such a big fan of Captain America 2. Everything in the movie reinforced that idea.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment