The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (7/28/2017)
PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 6:44 pm 
The worst

VinylGuy wrote:
Im happy that you guys liked it, im still surprised on how boring and formulaic it was...it felt like they didnt even tried...Even the action sequences were tireless and boring.

Keaton was good though, i hope to see him again soon.

the action was fine, though hardly a high water mark for the MCU. The characters were delightful, their chemistry was excellent, watching peter grow was enjoyable, and the humor was on point. I can see not loving the movie, but I dont know what their is to dislike

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 7:12 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

VinylGuy wrote:
Im happy that you guys liked it, im still surprised on how boring and formulaic it was...it felt like they didnt even tried...Even the action sequences were tireless and boring.

I'm with you, VG.

Also, re: Keaton, he's in a movie coming out soon called American Assassin that looks like it has potential

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 8:20 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I'm with you, VG.

Also, re: Keaton, he's in a movie coming out soon called American Assassin that looks like it has potential

Who knew being Batman eerrrr Birdman would spark a late career must see run of Keaton movies. Birdman was sooooo good on so many levels (IMO anyway)

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 8:24 pm 
Production Police

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I'm with you, VG.

Who knew being Batman eerrrr Birdman would spark a late career must see run of Keaton movies. Birdman was sooooo good on so many levels (IMO anyway)

There was a great podcast interview with him a couple years ago -- WTF, or maybe Chris Choadwick? -- and Keaton was great. Seemed like a dude who doesn't really care what anyone thinks about him.

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 9:26 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

the action was fine, though hardly a high water mark for the MCU. The characters were delightful, their chemistry was excellent, watching peter grow was enjoyable, and the humor was on point. I can see not loving the movie, but I dont know what their is to dislike

I hated the action. It was like watching a video game from afar, i wasnt invested on what was happening, nor i care. The only good shot was the first Vulture moment with Spidey...but the direction of the action scenes were such a mess...humor and characters? pretty much all the jokes were obvious and the only character i really cared about was Keaton.
Again, im glad you liked it but it felt so cheap, so b side that i was surprised.

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 9:10 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Well I liked it. It's definitely got that marvel formula stamped all over it and tbh I think the kid carried it. He's just really likeable. In another actors hands I probably wouldn't have liked it as much but he nailed it.

The main thing that really bothered me and it's even mentioned a couple of times in the film
Spoiler: show
the avengers and shield just left all this alien tech and their own experimental tech lying around? And Vulture and his gang were operating with these weapons for how long before anyone took any notice? I know it's kinda the premise of it but it was just too much of a reach for me in a film where Peter is being tracked so closely an autopilot iron man comes to save him. And then Tony arrives to help with the ferry. It just clashed hard for me. It's a comic book movie fair enough but even in that frame it made no sense for me.

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 11:37 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

in fairness how in the hell are you going to inventory all that stuff.

remember in the time the cleanup is going on shield was also taken out in CAtWS (not sure the exact time line of that after avengers AoA) so it is feasible

i see everyone bitching about a formula but what are they supposed to do? so far they have started telling an overall reaching story that is 15 films long so far and still has 6 more films to go. in order to tell the whole grand story (fight with thanos/infinty war) they also have to introduce and expand upon current characters

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 12:50 pm 
AnalLog

Peeps wrote:

remember in the time the cleanup is going on shield was also taken out in CAtWS (not sure the exact time line of that after avengers AoA) so it is feasible

i see everyone bitching about a formula but what are they supposed to do? so far they have started telling an overall reaching story that is 15 films long so far and still has 6 more films to go. in order to tell the whole grand story (fight with thanos/infinty war) they also have to introduce and expand upon current characters

But it was also one of the problems with Iron Man 3.
Iron Man 2, Stark gets drunk, SHIELD shows up the next day and tells him not cool.
Iron Man 3, Starks house gets blown up and falls into the ocean, with all his tech for anyone to grab / claim, and its the local LAPD? no mentions of SHIELD, not even a van with the SHIELD logo on it? (and that was before Cap 2 so SHIELD was still SHIELD)

At least they did tie Starks "clean up crew" into why Vulture lost his job, which gave him motive, But I think what DimeJinky is saying, is as soon as Vulture and his gang start using those weapons, why was Spider-man the only one who seemed to notice? Even after Spider-man told Tony, Tony said something like, let us handle it... Yet, he didn't, at all?

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 1:39 pm 
Future Drummer

I thought the movie was good. But i felt like they held alot back. I have come to the conclusion that Marvel will always make a respectable film, it will be as good as it can be, everyone once in a while they'll make great ones ( Civil War, Winter Soldier, Avengers, Iron Man, GOG)

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 1:50 pm 
The worst

It was definitely a lower stakes film, which is probably why it isn't in my top 5. That and I dig the team ups. They do such a wonderful job with their characters that I enjoy these films the most when they can play off each other.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 2:21 pm 

I guess in comic book movies you just have to not look too closely at these things. They don't stand up to any kind of scrutiny. It is plausible that Tony and happy just don't listen to the kid and that is part of their dynamic. But to have their organisation not look at it for years just rings hollow against what they've established in the other films I think.

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 4:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Thats one of the things that i really liked...the fact that they didnt noticed all that stuff left.

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 4:42 pm 
The worst

dimejinky99 wrote:
I guess in comic book movies you just have to not look too closely at these things. They don't stand up to any kind of scrutiny. It is plausible that Tony and happy just don't listen to the kid and that is part of their dynamic. But to have their organisation not look at it for years just rings hollow against what they've established in the other films I think.

there will be an extra on the DVD where they do an internal audit of the logistics policy and procedure

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 8:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

there will be an extra on the DVD where they do an internal audit of the logistics policy and procedure

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 9:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Peeps wrote:

But it was also one of the problems with Iron Man 3.
Iron Man 2, Stark gets drunk, SHIELD shows up the next day and tells him not cool.
Iron Man 3, Starks house gets blown up and falls into the ocean, with all his tech for anyone to grab / claim, and its the local LAPD? no mentions of SHIELD, not even a van with the SHIELD logo on it? (and that was before Cap 2 so SHIELD was still SHIELD)

At least they did tie Starks "clean up crew" into why Vulture lost his job, which gave him motive, But I think what DimeJinky is saying, is as soon as Vulture and his gang start using those weapons, why was Spider-man the only one who seemed to notice? Even after Spider-man told Tony, Tony said something like, let us handle it... Yet, he didn't, at all?

He said it was below the avengers pay grade and did call the fbi at one point when they were on the ship

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 10:46 pm 
The Master

Can you imagine how long it would take to clean up all that damage from the NYC fight with union workers? The Vulture rise to power didn't bother me at all.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2017 12:02 am 
RM Elitist

And it's not like these weapons were being used in violent crimes. They were being made to make petty property crimes easier UNTIL Spiderman got involved, there was no indication anything even violent was being attempted. And it's likely damage control didnt even notice the stuff that was missing given how Vulture was stealing it (sneaking into sealed trailers through that portal).

And one of my favorite things about this movie was that it wasn't end of the world stuff. It was a small time regular guy criminal going too far to provide for his family who didnt have any intent of violence really until the absolute very end of the movie. The world wasn't going to end because of the vulture.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2017 12:36 am 

I never considered that. It wasn't a crazy super villain thing. It was local.
And small time. But even that. Over that long? Shield would have clued into it over that many years. Is it 3? Or 8?

Good point skitch but still.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2017 12:39 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spider-man has rarely been world fighting/changing. while not "street" like jessica jones, daredevil, ironfist and cage, he is still pretty much considered street level

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2017 1:01 am 

You don't crawl up the Washington monument (built by slaves FYI kids) and evoke an anti terrorist response and remain street level.

Oh wait

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment