The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6480
Location: the lake
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Obviously I’m being hyperbolic when I say story “doesn’t matter,” but the spirit of what I’m saying is essentially honest. I think plot/story is generally the least interesting part of cinema, can often be a hindrance, and - crucially - two films can be made with identical stories and one of them can be great and one can be shit.

Of course. In fact, two different productions can be made with identical SCRIPTS and one of them great, the other shit. This happens in theater all the time.

Obviously, execution of story/characterization via directing and acting is vital.

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 65276
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Obviously I’m being hyperbolic when I say story “doesn’t matter,” but the spirit of what I’m saying is essentially honest. I think plot/story is generally the least interesting part of cinema, can often be a hindrance, and - crucially - two films can be made with identical stories and one of them can be great and one can be shit.

Of course. In fact, two different productions can be made with identical SCRIPTS and one of them great, the other shit. This happens in theater all the time.

Obviously, execution of story/characterization via directing and acting is vital.

Yep. And just like a great script can elevate a bad or incompetent director, a great director can elevate a bad or incompetent script. The thing that's so powerful about theater and film (I'd argue theater more than film) is the collaboration.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6480
Location: the lake
durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Obviously I’m being hyperbolic when I say story “doesn’t matter,” but the spirit of what I’m saying is essentially honest. I think plot/story is generally the least interesting part of cinema, can often be a hindrance, and - crucially - two films can be made with identical stories and one of them can be great and one can be shit.

Of course. In fact, two different productions can be made with identical SCRIPTS and one of them great, the other shit. This happens in theater all the time.

Obviously, execution of story/characterization via directing and acting is vital.

Yep. And just like a great script can elevate a bad or incompetent director, a great director can elevate a bad or incompetent script. The thing that's so powerful about theater and film (I'd argue theater more than film) is the collaboration.

Explosions are never necessary though, are they?

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 5228
Location: Washington State
tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Obviously I’m being hyperbolic when I say story “doesn’t matter,” but the spirit of what I’m saying is essentially honest. I think plot/story is generally the least interesting part of cinema, can often be a hindrance, and - crucially - two films can be made with identical stories and one of them can be great and one can be shit.

Of course. In fact, two different productions can be made with identical SCRIPTS and one of them great, the other shit. This happens in theater all the time.

Obviously, execution of story/characterization via directing and acting is vital.

Yep. And just like a great script can elevate a bad or incompetent director, a great director can elevate a bad or incompetent script. The thing that's so powerful about theater and film (I'd argue theater more than film) is the collaboration.

Explosions are never necessary though, are they?

During a play? They're essential. Especially if someone loses a limb.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6480
Location: the lake
Could Rampage or Transformers be an enjoyable stage play?

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 65276
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
tree_ wrote:
Could Rampage or Transformers be an enjoyable stage play?

Yes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 49941
max fischer could do it

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 50447
guys, quit talking about foofy musicals in the thread for a dwayne johnson movie

Spoiler: show
RAMPAGE!!!

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 50447
wtf? I swyped "silly" and it corrected to "foofy"?!

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6480
Location: the lake
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
wtf? I swyped "silly" and it corrected to "foofy"?!

I don't think I've heard that word before. It not might be my favorite word.

foofy. Adjective. (comparative foofier, superlative foofiest) (slang) Excessively frilly or frou-frou, typically in a manner calculated to attract attention to an otherwise unremarkable person or event. (slang) Poofy; inflated in a funny way.

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Sat April 14, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 65276
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
guys, quit talking about foofy musicals in the thread for a dwayne johnson movie

Spoiler: show
RAMPAGE!!!

Who's talking about foofy musicals?!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 17910
durdencommatyler wrote:
This movie just doesn't look like my cup of tea. But I hope it's good. And if enough people whom I like and respect tell me it's worth seeing, I'll check it out for myself. But I certainly don't think liking the movie makes one an idiot or stupid or a moron or whatever.

if you use the phrase not my cup of tea, this movie is not your cup of tea.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 17910
also, must we go through this same exercise with LV in every action movie thread? why do posters keep falling for it?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 14766
Everything about this thread is like a fever dream

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 65276
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
spike wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This movie just doesn't look like my cup of tea. But I hope it's good. And if enough people whom I like and respect tell me it's worth seeing, I'll check it out for myself. But I certainly don't think liking the movie makes one an idiot or stupid or a moron or whatever.

if you use the phrase not my cup of tea, this movie is not your cup of tea.

Which phrase would you prefer? Not my temperature of vagina? I can't smell what this movie's cooking? Movies with big monsters suck? Not my fever dream? This movie is my nightmare? What is the best way to put it?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 17910
durdencommatyler wrote:
spike wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This movie just doesn't look like my cup of tea. But I hope it's good. And if enough people whom I like and respect tell me it's worth seeing, I'll check it out for myself. But I certainly don't think liking the movie makes one an idiot or stupid or a moron or whatever.

if you use the phrase not my cup of tea, this movie is not your cup of tea.

Which phrase would you prefer? Not my temperature of vagina? I can't smell what this movie's cooking? Movies with big monsters suck? Not my fever dream? This movie is my nightmare? What is the best way to put it?

i have no qualms with how you put it. please qualm down.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 65276
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
spike wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
spike wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This movie just doesn't look like my cup of tea. But I hope it's good. And if enough people whom I like and respect tell me it's worth seeing, I'll check it out for myself. But I certainly don't think liking the movie makes one an idiot or stupid or a moron or whatever.

if you use the phrase not my cup of tea, this movie is not your cup of tea.

Which phrase would you prefer? Not my temperature of vagina? I can't smell what this movie's cooking? Movies with big monsters suck? Not my fever dream? This movie is my nightmare? What is the best way to put it?

i have no qualms with how you put it. please qualm down.

:lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 3:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 36481
I enjoyed the hell out of this. Nice to see a well-paced blockbuster for a change. Surprisingly violent too.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
Life is a confusing, horrifying nightmare that only ends in death. There is no hope.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu August 16, 2018 4:36 pm