The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66418
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
This movie just doesn't look like my cup of tea. But I hope it's good. And if enough people whom I like and respect tell me it's worth seeing, I'll check it out for myself. But I certainly don't think liking the movie makes one an idiot or stupid or a moron or whatever.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7689
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
You are not a moron, just like people who might like Rampage are not morons

If it's Transformers-level bad, I'd say you'd have to be a moron to like it. That's what I think this movie is and I can be wrong.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37458
The Transformers movies are great and Michael Bay is a Jean-Luc Godard-level master of his craft.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7689
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The Transformers movies are great and Michael Bay is a Jean-Luc Godard-level master of his craft.

He sure is good at blowing things up.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37458
He has developed a recognizable aesthetic for his explosions. He is operating on levels most filmmakers can’t even fathom.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7689
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
... or would want to fathom...

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37458
Yeah better to ignore things like aesthetics

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7689
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Yeah, especially when story and characterization don't mean shit.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37458
WELCOME TO MY WORLD TREE

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7689
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
WELCOME TO MY WORLD TREE

I'm so confused right now.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37458
I’ve said for years that story doesn’t matter in film. Characterization is generally more important, but neither is relevant to what makes Transformers interesting and unique.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32856
Location: Buenos Aires
Story matters, aesthetics matter, characterization matters, each one of those elements may be more or less important in each individual film according to the filmmakers' vision but they are all part of what makes cinema a powerful and enduring artform. LV's take on this is wrongheaded


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37458
Sorry no it doesn’t matter

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7689
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I’ve said for years that story doesn’t matter in film. Characterization is generally more important, but neither is relevant to what makes Transformers interesting and unique.

I thought you were being sarcastic. I think Transformers and all its kin is pure, unwatchable trash. I take back the 'moron' statement as I see you took that personally. You appear to be very intelligent and you're not a moron. Obviously we differ on our core philosophies on life itself. I'm fine with that.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 12, 2018 5:47 pm
Posts: 490
What a beautiful moment


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66418
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Aristotle proposed there are six basic elements of drama:
Plot.
Character.
Thought.
Diction (by which he means language).
Music.
Spectacle.

All of us rank those elements and their importance differently but I think all of those elements are meaningful when understanding the what and why of theater/drama/film.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7689
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
theplatypus wrote:
Story matters, aesthetics matter, characterization matters, each one of those elements may be more or less important in each individual film according to the filmmakers' vision but they are all part of what makes cinema a powerful and enduring artform. LV's take on this is wrongheaded

My personal opinion is without good aesthetics, a movie can still be good, but without story/characterization (equally important), the movie is worthless. Aesthetics can enhance the experience of good story/characterization. I have a hard time watching Space Odyssey for this reason. I love the aesthetics but the story moves at a snail's pace and the characterization is nearly non-existent, aside from HAL, the strongest character in the movie.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37458
Obviously I’m being hyperbolic when I say story “doesn’t matter,” but the spirit of what I’m saying is essentially honest. I think plot/story is generally the least interesting part of cinema, can often be a hindrance, and - crucially - two films can be made with identical stories and one of them can be great and one can be shit.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37458
tree_ wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Story matters, aesthetics matter, characterization matters, each one of those elements may be more or less important in each individual film according to the filmmakers' vision but they are all part of what makes cinema a powerful and enduring artform. LV's take on this is wrongheaded

My personal opinion is without good aesthetics, a movie can still be good, but without story/characterization (equally important), the movie is worthless. Aesthetics can enhance the experience of good story/characterization. I have a hard time watching Space Odyssey for this reason. I love the aesthetics but the story moves at a snail's pace and the characterization is nearly non-existent, aside from HAL, the strongest character in the movie.

I’m the complete opposite. Give me aesthetics or give me death.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Rampage!
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66418
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Obviously I’m being hyperbolic when I say story “doesn’t matter,” but the spirit of what I’m saying is essentially honest. I think plot/story is generally the least interesting part of cinema, can often be a hindrance, and - crucially - two films can be made with identical stories and one of them can be great and one can be shit.

Of course. In fact, two different productions can be made with identical SCRIPTS and one of them great, the other shit. This happens in theater all the time.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Sun October 21, 2018 10:37 am