The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434 ... 488  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:13 pm 
The Master

I really dislike Domnhall.

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
Malloy wrote:
seems like the bear is ted lasso with slightly different facial hair and patois and tattoos.

not liking it

I don't think they're the same at all. Ted Lasso is a dressed-up 90s sitcom, The Bear might share some emotional notes here and there but is much more invested in understanding what it means to create something. I found it to be both profoundly engaging and affecting.

since i'm only five, maybe six episodes into the series, it's possible i'm wrong. but so far it's been five episodes stuffed with feel-good schlock about a "work family," smothered with cheesy character development (the relationship with the sister, the donut guy). it is fundamentally the same show as lasso. (and i feel compelled to say the only reason i watched lasso was because i was bedridden and suicidal for abut six weeks in 2020.) the particularly cloying flavor of face acting in each, of which ayo edebiri's performance is most salient. the lame way chicago is filmed, its shallow frenetic aesthetic.

it's another half-hour, feel good dramedy. and that's fine, but that's all it is.

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:30 pm 
Future Drummer

the writing on the show is straight up bad. we're clearly watching two different shows, ms.

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:33 pm 
Future Drummer

in the treacly spirit of lasso, the bear should do a st. paddy's special each year

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Malloy wrote:
the writing on the show is straight up bad. we're clearly watching two different shows, ms.

You should try watching The Bear, produced by FX and streaming on Hulu.

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:37 pm 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
Malloy wrote:

spider-mans pointing meme

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Malloy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Malloy wrote:

I dunno man maybe I have a simple brain but I think your characterization here is wildly unfair. There's a gap between having a generally positive character arc and doing Christmas specials.

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:40 pm 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
Malloy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Malloy wrote:

I dunno man maybe I have a simple brain but I think your characterization here is wildly unfair. There's a gap between having a generally positive character arc and doing Christmas specials.

cousin!

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:42 pm 
Future Drummer

also we both know you aint simple. you're just wrong here.

one day history will corroborate my position

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 3:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Well, a second season is unlikely to help my position, but I maintain that the first season is not nearly as treacly as you wish it to be.

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 7:00 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Mickey wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
I just watched the first two episodes of the FX/Hulu show The Patient, featuring Steve Carell and Domnhall Gleason. It's from the creators of The Americans. It was good, I liked them. Only two eps out so far, and we must wait for the others.

I wish they had all just dropped at once. The week is an artificial, astrological construct. Unlike the year, the month, and the day, the week has no basis in astronomy. It does not even have a biological basis, like the way our mathematics is built around the number ten, for our ten fingers. Some Babylonian wanted to honor seven gods and now my television diet must suffer? Why do I have to get episodes dripped out to me based on this nonsense?

Abolish the week!

Yeah I agree with all of this. First two episodes were good, I think Gleason is underrated as an actor.

You agree with all of it? Even the bit about the Babylonian?

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 7:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The Argonaut wrote:
Mickey wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
I just watched the first two episodes of the FX/Hulu show The Patient, featuring Steve Carell and Domnhall Gleason. It's from the creators of The Americans. It was good, I liked them. Only two eps out so far, and we must wait for the others.

I wish they had all just dropped at once. The week is an artificial, astrological construct. Unlike the year, the month, and the day, the week has no basis in astronomy. It does not even have a biological basis, like the way our mathematics is built around the number ten, for our ten fingers. Some Babylonian wanted to honor seven gods and now my television diet must suffer? Why do I have to get episodes dripped out to me based on this nonsense?

Abolish the week!

Yeah I agree with all of this. First two episodes were good, I think Gleason is underrated as an actor.

You agree with all of it? Even the bit about the Babylonian?

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 9:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Mickey wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Abolish the week!

I had forgotten this had started. Watched the first episode last night. Pretty good, although the episode length seemed really short

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 11:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Especially if you're only going to drop two at a time!

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 11:49 pm 

Mickey wrote:
Especially if you're only going to drop two at a time!

Even worse, it drops to one at a time starting next week. And releases go until the end of October. If I had known this, I would've just waited until they were all out.

Episode 1, “Intake”: Tuesday, August 30
Episode 2, “Alan Learns to Meditate”: Tuesday, August 30
Episode 3, “Issues”: Tuesday, September 6
Episode 4, “Company”: Tuesday, September 13
Episode 5, “Pastitsio”: Tuesday, September 20
Episode 6, “Charlie”: Tuesday, September 27
Episode 7, “Kaddish”: Tuesday, October 3
Episode 8, “Ezra”: Tuesday, October 11
Episode 9, “Auschwitz”: Tuesday, October 18
Episode 10, “The Cantor’s Husband”: Tuesday, October 25

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 11:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Looking forward to "Auschwitz"

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 8:58 pm 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
but I maintain that the first season is not nearly as treacly as you wish it to be.

i just gave up on the series in the middle of episode six. the scene? sydney begins to mediate a dispute over territory between some wise guys. how does she do this? by telling them her name. i don't wonder how the gambit paid off.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 9:24 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Malloy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
but I maintain that the first season is not nearly as treacly as you wish it to be.

i just gave up on the series in the middle of episode six. the scene? sydney begins to mediate a dispute over territory between some wise guys. how does she do this? by telling them her name. i don't wonder how the gambit paid off.

they needed to take their dispute elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2022 12:55 am 

OK, yeah, that was a weak scene

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2022 1:06 am 
Production Police

It was a fine scene. She diffused a tense situation by asking them to level with her as an individual rather than an abstraction. I’ve used it effectively myself in real life. It ain’t Shakespeare but it served the plot and her character just fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434 ... 488  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment