The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429 ... 487  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 4:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I think it's pretty easy to tell who's right here. Trag will make the correct choice in the end

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 4:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The problem with Killing Eve is that it's simply not a very smart show. This is fine, initially, since it's a pretty simple cat-and-mouse plot, driven by legitimately great acting and sleek, stylized production. We don't really need to know the ins and outs of why, we can just watch Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer stare lustfully at each other across a kitchen island. It's great fun, up until about the end of season two.

But after season two, they don't really have anywhere else to go with this, so it evolves into this hodgepodge of psychological drama cum international conspiracy where the writers are entirely out of their depth. What was once "M16 agent chases international assassin who she might also be sexually attracted to" becomes this Charlie Day corkboard plot about a shadowy para-state organization which is never fully explained but involves a lot of deus-ex-machina triple-crossing reveals, mashed up with a maudlin assassin origin story, and substituting pulsing house music for dialogue--the show's favorite formal choice--just doesn't cut it anymore. So it becomes overtly cartoonish where it was formerly sexy and tongue-in-cheek, and that's how you end up with Jodie Comer's character hallucinating a version of herself as Jesus (with a dopey little make-up pencil beard) in a ham-fisted attempt to realize on-screen her interior journey to develop a conscience. The people in charge of this show don't understand how to stage character motivation, and it really shows the further you get into the series. I honestly don't know if I've seen a show fall off a cliff quite as quickly as this one did.

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:03 pm 
Production Police

I bailed halfway through that post so I can’t imagine I’d make it through the show

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
I think it's pretty easy to tell who's right here. Trag will make the correct choice in the end

Thing is, I don't really disagree with much of anything you've said about Killing Eve. I liked S3 more than you (but only just). And while I think S4 is a mess (and you think it's the worst thing ever) I'm still having fun because the absurdity is funny to me and the performances (especially Comer) are so good.

If you can't enjoy Jodie Comer as Villanelle talking to Jodie Comer as drag queen Jesus, if that sentence doesn't in fact fill you with explosive joy, then that's on you. And I genuinely feel sorry that you can't enjoy that.

Otherwise, we pretty much agree. It's just a matter of degree.

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
I bailed halfway through that post so I can’t imagine I’d make it through the show

:lol:

Just watch S1. It is far and away the best. Which is no wonder since it's written/show-run by Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

epilogue wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Thing is, I don't really disagree with much of anything you've said about Killing Eve. I liked S3 more than you (but only just). And while I think S4 is a mess (and you think it's the worst thing ever) I'm still having fun because the absurdity is funny to me and the performances (especially Comer) are so good.

If you can't enjoy Jodie Comer as Villanelle talking to Jodie Comer as drag queen Jesus, if that sentence doesn't in fact fill you with explosive joy, then that's on you. And I genuinely feel sorry that you can't enjoy that.

Yeah my favorite thing on TV is when an actor or actress talks to an imaginary version of themselves, this is typically a cool good thing and not peak cornball.

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:42 pm 
Production Police

That aspect really stunk about Flight Attendant S2.

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Yeah my favorite thing on TV is when an actor or actress talks to an imaginary version of themselves, this is typically a cool good thing and not peak cornball.

You're probably the smartest person I know who doesn't understand acting.

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
That aspect really stunk about Flight Attendant S2.

1. How many actors in Flight Attendant S2 are playing drag Jesus?
2. How many actors in Flight Attendant S2 are Jodie Comer?

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:53 pm 
Production Police

The answer might surprise you

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 5:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri July 29, 2022 7:43 pm 
The Master

epilogue wrote:
Mickey wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Mickey wrote:

PostPosted: Sat July 30, 2022 4:16 am 
Rank This Poster

Couldn’t wait for Netflix so I downloaded the last season of Derry Girls. 7 perfect episodes. It’s a true all-timer for me.

PostPosted: Sat July 30, 2022 2:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

VinylGuy wrote:
Paper Girls is on Prime today.
Its one of the greatest comics of the last years and of course, the series wont do any justice to the original material, but ill check it out.

yeah, first ep was so clunky and cheap.

PostPosted: Sat July 30, 2022 4:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

epilogue wrote:
Mickey wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Mickey wrote:

You think this has to do with acting, okay.

PostPosted: Sun July 31, 2022 3:08 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

That's all I care about, so yeah.

PostPosted: Sun July 31, 2022 3:30 am 
Mind Your Tanners

We can't all have the grace to be born and live as variously as possible

PostPosted: Sun July 31, 2022 3:31 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Anyway we finished The Bear in 48 hours. Fantastic show, very excited for season two.

PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2022 8:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Finally caught up with the latest episode of For All Mankind - lots of ugly cry-face in this episode.....and now I have to wait week to week for the final couple instead of doing 2 a night

PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2022 9:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Mickey wrote:
Anyway we finished The Bear in 48 hours. Fantastic show, very excited for season two.

yeah, one of the best things out there for sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429 ... 487  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment