The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 179  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 4658
Location: Washington State
Dime, if you finished The Handmaid's Tale and felt good about it I'd have to wonder.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 1:17 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 3549
Bi_3 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
“Dark” on Netflix. First episode was solid, but stick with the German as the dub is unbearable.

Yeah I like this show so far


I'll stick it out for the season, but I didn't like the second and third episodes as much. They felt like they were recreating the amazing "Les Revenants" in the storytelling style and direction.

Not sure why, but it kind of reminds me of anime as well, like Lain.


This show kicks in during episode 6. glad I stuck it out.



I think a flow chart would be helpful at this point... it's actually a cool concept though not wholly original.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 20436
bune wrote:
Dime, if you finished The Handmaid's Tale and felt good about it I'd have to wonder.


Yeah it threw me. I really enjoy a lot of her other books. She does dystopia really well. I’d say a lot of her work would be good for tv adaptation. This one though, I guess it’s timely.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 8746
Location: Space City
Tony Shalhoub is just a bowl of cherries in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 20436
Bi_3 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
“Dark” on Netflix. First episode was solid, but stick with the German as the dub is unbearable.

Yeah I like this show so far


I'll stick it out for the season, but I didn't like the second and third episodes as much. They felt like they were recreating the amazing "Les Revenants" in the storytelling style and direction.

Not sure why, but it kind of reminds me of anime as well, like Lain.


This show kicks in during episode 6. glad I stuck it out.



I think a flow chart would be helpful at this point... it's actually a cool concept though not wholly original.


If you make that flowchart I’d love to see it. I have thoughts about it but you’ll see yourself when you finish the series.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 4658
Location: Washington State
dimejinky99 wrote:
bune wrote:
Dime, if you finished The Handmaid's Tale and felt good about it I'd have to wonder.


Yeah it threw me. I really enjoy a lot of her other books. She does dystopia really well. I’d say a lot of her work would be good for tv adaptation. This one though, I guess it’s timely.

Think about when it was written and the technology that was being introduced at the time - credit cards, etc - and then think about how 'timely' anything is.

My wife didn't like the narrative style so she couldn't finish it.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 3:57 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 12, 2018 5:47 pm
Posts: 490
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
finished godless, really enjoyed it

not sure what i'm going to try next


Peaky blinders


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 20436
bune wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
bune wrote:
Dime, if you finished The Handmaid's Tale and felt good about it I'd have to wonder.


Yeah it threw me. I really enjoy a lot of her other books. She does dystopia really well. I’d say a lot of her work would be good for tv adaptation. This one though, I guess it’s timely.

Think about when it was written and the technology that was being introduced at the time - credit cards, etc - and then think about how 'timely' anything is.

My wife didn't like the narrative style so she couldn't finish it.



She’s made some controversial comments recently and got a backlash for it. I have no interest in gender politics and it’s battleground on twitter.
Ignore the artist just focus on the art.

Liam neeson is also getting shit for his take on metoo

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 4:02 pm 
Online
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 48400
dimejinky99 wrote:
bune wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
bune wrote:
Dime, if you finished The Handmaid's Tale and felt good about it I'd have to wonder.


Yeah it threw me. I really enjoy a lot of her other books. She does dystopia really well. I’d say a lot of her work would be good for tv adaptation. This one though, I guess it’s timely.

Think about when it was written and the technology that was being introduced at the time - credit cards, etc - and then think about how 'timely' anything is.

My wife didn't like the narrative style so she couldn't finish it.



She’s made some controversial comments recently and got a backlash for it. I have no interest in gender politics and it’s battleground on twitter.
Ignore the artist just focus on the art.

Liam neeson is also getting shit for his take on metoo

Liam Neeson also spoke out about equal pay for women actors, then when immediately asked if he would take a pay cut to make that happen, he said "no". Lol.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 20436
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
bune wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
bune wrote:
Dime, if you finished The Handmaid's Tale and felt good about it I'd have to wonder.


Yeah it threw me. I really enjoy a lot of her other books. She does dystopia really well. I’d say a lot of her work would be good for tv adaptation. This one though, I guess it’s timely.

Think about when it was written and the technology that was being introduced at the time - credit cards, etc - and then think about how 'timely' anything is.

My wife didn't like the narrative style so she couldn't finish it.



She’s made some controversial comments recently and got a backlash for it. I have no interest in gender politics and it’s battleground on twitter.
Ignore the artist just focus on the art.

Liam neeson is also getting shit for his take on metoo

Liam Neeson also spoke out about equal pay for women actors, then when immediately asked if he would take a pay cut to make that happen, he said "no". Lol.


To be fair he said no and it should t be his job. It should happen day one when they sign on.

But the outrage is all best on very very selective choices of quotes and editing them out of context. I think.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 4:05 pm 
Online
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 48400
Right, but there is a budget for a movie, right? So in order to have equal pay for him and a female costar, he would in theory have to take less money to do the job. Which he probably wouldn't do, even from the beginning.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 20436
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Right, but there is a budget for a movie, right? So in order to have equal pay for him and a female costar, he would in theory have to take less money to do the job. Which he probably wouldn't do, even from the beginning.



Yeah but that shouldn’t be and isn’t up to him. That’s up to the studio.
Unless actors like him refuse to do a film unless their female co stars are paid equally.
That should be a thing but it won’t be.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 4:33 pm 
Online
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 48400
dimejinky99 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Right, but there is a budget for a movie, right? So in order to have equal pay for him and a female costar, he would in theory have to take less money to do the job. Which he probably wouldn't do, even from the beginning.



Yeah but that shouldn’t be and isn’t up to him. That’s up to the studio.
Unless actors like him refuse to do a film unless their female co stars are paid equally.
That should be a thing but it won’t be.

That is my point though. A movie has a budget to pay it's actors "x" amount of dollars. So, now, instead of offering Liam 20 million and an unnamed female 1 million, they will offer her 10 million and the leading male 10 million. And Liam won't take it because he demands 20 million per movie (these are all hypothetical, I don't know what he wants per movie). So, in theory, Liam isn't really for equal pay.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 20436
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Right, but there is a budget for a movie, right? So in order to have equal pay for him and a female costar, he would in theory have to take less money to do the job. Which he probably wouldn't do, even from the beginning.



Yeah but that shouldn’t be and isn’t up to him. That’s up to the studio.
Unless actors like him refuse to do a film unless their female co stars are paid equally.
That should be a thing but it won’t be.

That is my point though. A movie has a budget to pay it's actors "x" amount of dollars. So, now, instead of offering Liam 20 million and an unnamed female 1 million, they will offer her 10 million and the leading male 10 million. And Liam won't take it because he demands 20 million per movie (these are all hypothetical, I don't know what he wants per movie). So, in theory, Liam isn't really for equal pay.



I get ye. I can see this being a thing soon in Hollywood.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 4:36 pm 
Online
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 48400
dimejinky99 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Right, but there is a budget for a movie, right? So in order to have equal pay for him and a female costar, he would in theory have to take less money to do the job. Which he probably wouldn't do, even from the beginning.



Yeah but that shouldn’t be and isn’t up to him. That’s up to the studio.
Unless actors like him refuse to do a film unless their female co stars are paid equally.
That should be a thing but it won’t be.

That is my point though. A movie has a budget to pay it's actors "x" amount of dollars. So, now, instead of offering Liam 20 million and an unnamed female 1 million, they will offer her 10 million and the leading male 10 million. And Liam won't take it because he demands 20 million per movie (these are all hypothetical, I don't know what he wants per movie). So, in theory, Liam isn't really for equal pay.



I get ye. I can see this being a thing soon in Hollywood.

But I guess my point is a little flawed too, as a Liam Neeson movie will have him as the "main" star, anyone else, male or female, wouldn't command as much money just because of the role and them selling the movie as a Liam Neeson movie. The bigger point is that if Gal Gadot gets a similar pay for a leading role as Ben Affleck does for Batman. Or something along those lines.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 62533
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is just wonderful.

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 62533
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
VinylGuy wrote:
Big Little Lies

Meh.

:shake:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 13043
Location: Mizzou
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is just wonderful.

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:


I like it more than Gilmore Girls.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 62533
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is just wonderful.

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:


I like it more than Gilmore Girls.

Well, let's not get carried away.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 13490
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Big Little Lies

Meh.

:shake:


Joe you dont need to love everything with the label ¨feminist¨ sticked to it, you know?

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 179  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 pm