The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 488  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 1:52 am 
The Master

downton abbey...i hate cora so much

PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 5:11 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

You guys heard of a show called black sails?

And is it any good?

PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 5:34 pm 
Production Police

Getting caught up on Man Seeking Woman. This show is just so, so good.

PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 5:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:

I was looking forward to checking this out. But after your Zoolander 2 posts, I'm not sure I can trust your opinion of comedy. I'm going to need two or three more posters to weigh in.

PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 5:48 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I was looking forward to checking this out. But after your Zoolander 2 posts, I'm not sure I can trust your opinion of comedy. I'm going to need two or three more posters to weigh in.

What didn't you like about Zoolander 2?

Stiller and Wilson were both solid, with some really good jokes throughout. Kyle Mooney and Will Ferrell were both hysterical. I didn't find Kristin Wiig's character to be quite the firecracker the reviews would have me believe, but she was funny enough.

There were numerous scenes that were just so bizarre and odd and great. It dragged a bit whenever it tried to retread jokes from the original (the Jitterbug scene, Hansel's orgy). But the first 30 mins had me cracking up; then it dragged a little bit; then once Will Ferrell showed up, I was having tons of fun again.

PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 5:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Stiller and Wilson were both solid, with some really good jokes throughout. Kyle Mooney and Will Ferrell were both hysterical. I didn't find Kristin Wiig's character to be quite the firecracker the reviews would have me believe, but she was funny enough.

There were numerous scenes that were just so bizarre and odd and great. It dragged a bit whenever it tried to retread jokes from the original (the Jitterbug scene, Hansel's orgy). But the first 30 mins had me cracking up; then it dragged a little bit; then once Will Ferrell showed up, I was having tons of fun again.

As far as performances go, all the best players were underutilized and/or completely wasted. I'm not a Will Ferrel fan in general, and Zoolander 2 is a great example of why. He's just loud and masturbatory. It's not funny or interesting to me. The majority of the humor is sophomoric at best and offensive at worst. It offers nothing fresh or new. It's pulled down by poor stupid plotting and terrible pacing. It's an uneven mess, aesthetically. It's like it wants to be a spy movie parody but it can't really commit to what it wants to say about being a spy movie parody. Tonally, it just never delivers. The characters are inconsistent for the sake of humor which is annoying.

Kyle Mooney surprised me. I'm not a huge fan of his either, but he really delivered. It's good he wasn't in more of the film, though. That was probably a big part of why he worked so well; he wasn't overused or allowed full off-leash maddog rampage like Ferrel. Wiig was outstanding and the only thing I would call an unqualified success about the film.

The movie was either boring, confusing, or yucky. I just really didn't care for it. Stiller is so much better than this movie, both as an actor/comedian and as a director.

PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 6:06 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

As far as performances go, all the best players were underutilized and/or completely wasted. I'm not a Will Ferrel fan in general, and Zoolander 2 is a great example of why. He's just loud and masturbatory. It's not funny or interesting to me. The majority of the humor is sophomoric at best and offensive at worst. It offers nothing fresh or new. It's pulled down by poor stupid plotting and terrible pacing. It's an uneven mess, aesthetically. It's like it wants to be a spy movie parody but it can't really commit to what it wants to say about being a spy movie parody. Tonally, it just never delivers. The characters are inconsistent for the sake of humor which is annoying.

Kyle Mooney surprised me. I'm not a huge fan of his either, but he really delivered. It's good he wasn't in more of the film, though. That was probably a big part of why he worked so well; he wasn't overused or allowed full off-leash maddog rampage like Ferrel. Wiig was outstanding and the only thing I would call an unqualified success about the film.

The movie was either boring, confusing, or yucky. I just really didn't care for it. Stiller is so much better than this movie, both as an actor/comedian and as a director.

I definitely see where you're coming from with the bolded part, but I don't care about that sort of stuff in a movie like this. Like Wayne's World 2 or Anchorman 2, the plot and tone take a backset to the individual scenes; it's just a vehicle for characters to be funny. Of course it helps if you actually enjoy the characters. I happen to find Ferrell's Mugatu to be one of the funniest characters ever portrayed on screen.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 6:05 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:

Probably the best comedy on TV

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 1:30 pm 
The Master

Finally watching The Night Of.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 2:44 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Watched the season finale of The Good Place over the weekend.

Don't know if anyone else was watching it, but it's very good. Ted Danson is a lot of fun in his role.

Spoiler: show
Didn't see the twist in the finale coming, but I like where the show could be going from here if it gets renewed.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 3:08 pm 
The Master

Joesanity wrote:
Watched the season finale of The Good Place over the weekend.

Don't know if anyone else was watching it, but it's very good. Ted Danson is a lot of fun in his role.

Spoiler: show
Didn't see the twist in the finale coming, but I like where the show could be going from here if it gets renewed.

Completely agreed. I hope it is renewed. It took several episodes to get going and find its point of view, but the last several episodes were excellent.

"Put on these fedoras for your trip to the bad place."

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 8:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
I definitely see where you're coming from with the bolded part, but I don't care about that sort of stuff in a movie like this. Like Wayne's World 2 or Anchorman 2, the plot and tone take a backset to the individual scenes; it's just a vehicle for characters to be funny. Of course it helps if you actually enjoy the characters. I happen to find Ferrell's Mugatu to be one of the funniest characters ever portrayed on screen.

I haven't seen Anchorman 2. Can't imagine that I ever will. But Wayne's World 2 is goddamn genius. And does not suffer at all from the issues of Zoolander 2.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 11:26 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I haven't seen Anchorman 2. Can't imagine that I ever will. But Wayne's World 2 is goddamn genius. And does not suffer at all from the issues of Zoolander 2.

There's one bit in it that is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The rest of it, not so much.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 11:36 pm 
The Master

Anchorman 2 is waaaaaay better than the first one

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 11:37 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Lv post

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 11:37 pm 
Major Dude

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I can't agree with that, but I did enjoy it. That restaurant bit IS the funniest thing between the two of them, tho.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 11:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

That wouldn't be too difficult, though.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 11:38 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Yeah that's kinda true. The first one is fine but I don't love it.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 11:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Yeah that's kinda true. The first one is fine but I don't love it.

Fine is probably the best word to describe it, yeah. For the life of me, I'll never understand the love it receives.

PostPosted: Tue January 24, 2017 1:47 am 
The Master

louie, season 5

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 488  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment