The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek Awesomeness
PostPosted: Thu August 05, 2021 3:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bada wrote:

PostPosted: Sun August 08, 2021 6:40 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I'm sitting here brooding over the current and future state of Star Trek and I realize I'm sitting on the HD remasters of TOS, TAS, TNG and HD versions of Enterprise. Not to mention my DS9 and Voyager DVD quality stuff that still look pretty damn good. I haven't even watched the remasters yet. Why not just watch all that stuff? OK I will! Might even read some novels I haven't done that in 25 years. Plus the directors cut of Star Trek The Motion Picture is coming to Blu Ray I've never watched the Directors Cut. Thing aren't so bad. Right guys....right.....hello?

PostPosted: Sun August 08, 2021 6:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Things are great!

Started a re-watch of TNG. It's just a nice way to unwind at the end of the day. We're not really binging it, just watching an episode a night before bed.

It's bananas how familiar and comfortable the show feels. It's like I grew up on those sets with those people. Unreal.

PostPosted: Sun August 08, 2021 6:44 pm 

Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon August 09, 2021 12:50 pm 
AnalLog

epilogue wrote:
Things are great!

Started a re-watch of TNG. It's just a nice way to unwind at the end of the day. We're not really binging it, just watching an episode a night before bed.

It's bananas how familiar and comfortable the show feels. It's like I grew up on those sets with those people. Unreal.

I get this exact feeling every time I watch TNG. One of the few timeless shows on my list

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 5:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Wandered into a used book store today, and came out with some yellow-paged copies of old Trek novels that I either read 30 years ago or imagined reading when I saw them advertised in the nerd papers. Also I bought some edibles.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 5:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 1:03 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
Wandered into a used book store today, and came out with some yellow-paged copies of old Trek novels that I either read 30 years ago or imagined reading when I saw them advertised in the nerd papers. Also I bought some edibles.

You are out of control.

PostPosted: Sun August 15, 2021 4:37 pm 

I’m flying way too fast through DS9 so I started Enterprise from the beginning to slow me down. The tone is odd. It’s very aw shucks white bread (Scott Bakula makes Kevin Costner seem edgy) sprinkled in with the the occasional Vulcan nipple scene with lube rubdowns.

PostPosted: Fri August 20, 2021 3:29 pm 

I'm surprised Enterprise is working for me this time but I'm sorta enjoying it for the most part. Maybe Discovery scared me straight. The episode Dear Doctor though....maybe there is something I'm not getting but I think the resolution to that one was all wrong and inconsistent with the spirit of the franchise. If anyone remembers or has watched that episode lately I'd be curious what others think.

PostPosted: Sat August 28, 2021 10:27 pm 

I figure I would approach everything Captain Archer does differently a good 85-90% of the time. I know the point of the show is everyone is doing this for the first time but even minor conversations with his crew he mostly handles all wrong.

PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 6:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I watched the first two episodes of Enterprise when they dropped, and never again. I think I’d revisit it before Voyager, though.

PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 7:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Enterprise has some fantastic episodes, including Dear Doctor.

PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 7:41 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Agree with this review I found:

«"Dear Doctor" is the first great episode of Enterprise and it is a prime example of exactly what makes Star Trek so great. The creative team gives us a story that weaves a touching tale of Phlox adapting to life on board a ship full of humans with a morality story that leaves the viewer asking questions long after it is over. Here we have an episode that has inspired vast amounts of love and hate among Trekkers, but in the end it does what it is supposed to do. It leaves you contemplating the ethics of Archer and Phlox's decision and questioning our existence.

The majority of this episode is a beautifully written character development tale concerning Phlox learning to integrate himself into the crew. His tale of an outsider trying to fit in is one in which most of us can understand and had this been the entirety of the episode it would easily have rated slightly above average. Then we throw in a very interesting and compelling society on a planet which has two humanoid species, one advanced and another primitive that leaves us wishing an episode of The Next Generation would have revisited this planet. Finally, we get to the meat and potatoes of "Dear Doctor", the morality story. Like all previous series, Enterprise gives us a prime directive story which could very well be the basis for the prime directive that has become so important in the later shows. It is truly refreshing to see a prime directive story that actually has our crew follow the prime directive instead of giving into our emotions and helping a species from eventual extinction. The decision is not easy for Phlox or Archer to make, but they make it and an entire society must face their natural course of evolution which could very well end in an extinction of an entire species. This one is a truly beautiful and telling story that leaves the viewer contemplating the implications. Agree or disagree it does exactly what it is supposed to and it is a prime example of what makes Star Trek so beloved.»

PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 1:19 pm 

I actually disagree with that review entirely the episode was a misinterpretation of what would become the prime directive. Yes they were a pre-warp society but they had relations with a couple warp capable civilizations and they asked for help and Archer agreed. It’s not like they were a Stone Age or Pre-Industrial society they were space faring. Basically 50 years behind humans at that point that was already aware they weren’t alone. There was no contamination. Then they withheld a cure because one of the two species that had a lesser status MIGHT many thousands of years in the future evolve to have greater intelligence. Letting billions die because something might happen that may or may not benefit another species seems pretty thin. Believing that the lesser species would evolve to be dominate as more likely than the current dominate species eventually recognizing and elevating the status of the lesser species also seems pretty thin. What if the lesser species had more of a symbiotic relationship with the dominate and now they both die out? Medical ummm “humanitarian” efforts is a staple of the franchise. This wasn’t internal politics that they should stay out of this was mass extinction of a sentient society. If an asteroid was going to hit the planet it would have been ok to help them like the TNG crew often did? If it was a genetically engineered disease instead of naturally occurring then it’s ok to save them like Bashir did on DS9? Why help the Romulans after their sun goes nova? They should have given them the cure. Especially considering pretty much every other episode of the series Archer interferes in some other species internal politics. Bad episode bad writing. The first classic Enterprise episode was Carbon Creek. Now that’s Star Trek.

PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 3:36 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
I watched the first two episodes of Enterprise when they dropped, and never again. I think I’d revisit it before Voyager, though.

I started Voyager again today. I remember when it premiered in '95 I thought Janeway was an old lady. She was like 5 years younger than I am now. lol

There's actually more character foundation and development in the opening two-parter of Voyager than the entire season and a half of Enterprise I've watched so far.

PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 1:49 pm 

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 2:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Alright, so we finished S1 or TNG and we're four episodes into S2.

I haven't done a full series rewatch since the late 1990s when I had the entire series on VHS tapes.

This has been so much fun!

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 4:42 pm 
Major Dude

Worf or gtfo

PostPosted: Fri October 01, 2021 4:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Take my Worf, please!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment