The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Lost
PostPosted: Mon October 04, 2021 9:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
No one LOVES a pilot, but yeah, it sticks the landing. I always loved Lost, I just was never satisfied by the end. I always thought that the claim that the writers always knew what story they were telling from the beginning was bullshit

Well JJ's involvement with the show basically ended with the Pilot. So it our problem here isn't just a JJ thing.

Also, I'm pretty sure dime is saying that you don't like when I like something, not that we don't sometimes like the same things.

Finally, who care whether or not the writer's knew where they were going the whole time.

PostPosted: Mon October 04, 2021 9:17 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

epilogue wrote:

Finally, who care whether or not the writer's knew where they were going the whole time.

My point being that it's obvious. The end of the show provides general questions to specific questions like a shitty politician.

PostPosted: Mon October 04, 2021 9:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I've had this fight too many times to give a shit anymore. We're never gonna agree.

Have a great night, B.

PostPosted: Mon October 04, 2021 9:32 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Oh c'mon, why can't we disagree on random entertainment and still be friends? What's the internet even for?

PostPosted: Mon October 04, 2021 9:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

That's what we're doing right now, B. We're disagreeing on random entertainment and we're still friends. :)

PostPosted: Mon October 04, 2021 11:46 pm 
Production Police

The Lost pilot is one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen, and nothing that came after in Lost ever lived up to its promise.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 12:06 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I feel like I remember more cool stuff to come. I mean, I haven't even seen the polar bear yet.

Right now, they're just people that crashed on a normal island that happens to contain a giant monster. They don't even know that the monster is black smoke.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 12:11 am 
Production Police

B wrote:
I feel like I remember more cool stuff to come. I mean, I haven't even seen the polar bear yet.

Right now, they're just people that crashed on a normal island that happens to contain a giant monster. They don't even know that the monster is black smoke.

*donkey-wheel powered black smoke

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 12:31 am 
The Master

i started a rewatch like 4 months ago and never got back to it...i think i finished the first 2 seasons...nothing against it, i just fell off

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 11:44 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

This just popped up in my recommendations

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 1:44 pm 
See you in another life, brother

B wrote:
I always thought that the claim that the writers always knew what story they were telling from the beginning was bullshit

I don't think this is a real claim. Lindelof and Cuse have been very open about not knowing, especially in season 1. Lindelof wasn't even on the show for the first few episodes if I'm not mistaken. Post season 1 they would enter a season knowing the ending of that season and go from there. They probably knew their ending on the Island pretty early but not much beyond that.
epilogue wrote:
Tough up, Buck. It's OK if some of us like the made up universe of no consequence in a different way than you do.
B wrote:
You were the one implying that it was not.

I'll say it: it's not okay!!!

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 1:49 pm 
The Master

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that they knew the beginning and the end from the get go. Beyond that they kind of explored along the way.

The show got a little convoluted and i was a little letdown by the end of the story but this show was all about the journey along the way. So much fun and still maybe my top show.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 1:59 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
B wrote:
I always thought that the claim that the writers always knew what story they were telling from the beginning was bullshit

I don't think this is a real claim. Lindelof and Cuse have been very open about not knowing, especially in season 1. Lindelof wasn't even on the show for the first few episodes if I'm not mistaken. Post season 1 they would enter a season knowing the ending of that season and go from there. They probably knew their ending on the Island pretty early but not much beyond that.
epilogue wrote:
Tough up, Buck. It's OK if some of us like the made up universe of no consequence in a different way than you do.
B wrote:
You were the one implying that it was not.

I'll say it: it's not okay!!!

that was my understanding as well

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:06 pm 
mXn

Great show.

F the haters.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Damon was brought in by JJ to be the show runner. Damon was involved (really the only one involved) from the beginning to the end (there was an original script written by someone else that JJ and Damon totally revised and changed). After the pilot JJ bowed out to focus on other stuff, serving as EP mostly only in name and with little to no interaction or contribution to the show. This left Damon on his own. It was Damon's fist time running a show and was in over his head.

So ABC brought in Carlton Cuse to help. Carlton had experience. I believe Carlton showed up and was implemented around episode 9 or 10 of S1 (can't remember exactly). Apparently, according to Damon, Carlton wanted to make some adjustments to the show bible. He had some ideas moving forward. So, over time he and Damon worked to totally revise JJ's show bible.

They did spin their wheels a lot and had to make a bunch of shit up as they went based on the number of episodes and not having a firm end date. They also "course corrected" based on cast chemistry and (sadly) fan feedback. They were very aware of fan theories and what the fans wanted/didn't want to see.

Coming into S3 they knew how they wanted to end the show but ABC wouldn't give them a firm end date. They wanted 5 seasons and done. ABC had a cash cow that they weren't keen to kill. Eventually, they worked it out but that's why you get Nikki and Paulo and Jack's tattoos and all of that. Because they had to extend and fill the story until they negotiated an end date.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:17 pm 

Strat wrote:
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that they knew the beginning and the end from the get go. Beyond that they kind of explored along the way.

The show got a little convoluted and i was a little letdown by the end of the story but this show was all about the journey along the way. So much fun and still maybe my top show.

I've heard that repeated a lot but I guess it depends on what a person means by "the end." They knew The Island specific ending (death of Jack) very early. From my understanding they didn't really start working on The End until they got ABC to agree during season 3 that the show would be 6 seasons. But at that point they mapped out the major points of the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:19 pm 

epilogue wrote:
Damon was brought in by JJ to be the show runner. Damon was involved (really the only one involved) from the beginning to the end (there was an original script written by someone else that JJ and Damon totally revised and changed). After the pilot JJ bowed out to focus on other stuff, serving as EP mostly only in name and with little to no interaction or contribution to the show. This left Damon on his own. It was Damon's fist time running a show and was in over his head.

So ABC brought in Carlton Cuse to help. Carlton had experience.

Yeah I mixed up Cuse and Lindelof earlier. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

There was a great interview with Damon recently on some podcast (I can't remember the name) which I really enjoyed. He made a really great point, I thought, about mysteries solved. He said (paraphrasing), 'yeah maybe we didn't answer every tiny thing you wanted to know, like very detail about Sayid in the jacuzzi in the temple, but we answered the biggest fucking mystery in all of human existence: what happens when you die."

That's a pretty solid point, really.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:29 pm 
The Master

You reunite with the strangers you met on an airplane that crashed?

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:30 pm 
The Master

I'm gonna sit on my couch and watch LOST ALL DAY. fuck work!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 27  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment