The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Lost
PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:38 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Strat wrote:
I'm gonna sit on my couch and watch LOST ALL DAY. fuck work!

This is the best idea this board has ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:39 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
Strat wrote:
I'm gonna sit on my couch and watch LOST ALL DAY. fuck work!

This is the best idea this board has ever seen.

:hooray:

co-sign

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
You reunite with the strangers you met on an airplane that crashed?

:lol:

You reunite with the people that meant the most to you and then once everyone is ready, y'all move on together.

I don't want to spoil any other shows for people but there's another popular show that has a similar concept. Though, I think that show's finale was much more positively received. Probably because there wasn't any kind of perceived bait and switch and/or because every knew from the jump what genre the show was living in.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:45 pm 

epilogue wrote:
There was a great interview with Damon recently on some podcast (I can't remember the name) which I really enjoyed. He made a really great point, I thought, about mysteries solved. He said (paraphrasing), 'yeah maybe we didn't answer every tiny thing you wanted to know, like very detail about Sayid in the jacuzzi in the temple, but we answered the biggest fucking mystery in all of human existence: what happens when you die."

That's a pretty solid point, really.

I mean for real. Hilarious that he/you mentions the Sayid thing which is one of my very few complaints about the story lol. For people who never watched season 6 again after the initial viewing I thought it's much better the second time around. Granted, I loved the ending from the start but I think it's even better when you already know what the flash-sideways is and the show doesn't have some of that crushing weight of expectations on it. I know I appreciated how thoroughly they really do answer the vast majority of things the second time around.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:47 pm 

epilogue wrote:
Strat wrote:
You reunite with the strangers you met on an airplane that crashed?

:lol:

You reunite with the people that meant the most to you and then once everyone is ready, y'all move on together.

I don't want to spoil any other shows for people but there's another popular show that has a similar concept. Though, I think that show's finale was much more positively received. Probably because there wasn't any kind of perceived bait and switch and/or because every knew from the jump what genre the show was living in.

It's also reminiscent of Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. But either way it's an absolutely gorgeous concept and I love love love the ending of Lost so much. It's one of if not my very favorite endings ever.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 2:51 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Its coming into winter again and I have a serious hankerin to watch this again.
I loved the first few seasons. Loved some of the bizarre wtf is going on that came later. And barely paid attention to the final season.

But I wanna watch again.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 3:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
epilogue wrote:
There was a great interview with Damon recently on some podcast (I can't remember the name) which I really enjoyed. He made a really great point, I thought, about mysteries solved. He said (paraphrasing), 'yeah maybe we didn't answer every tiny thing you wanted to know, like very detail about Sayid in the jacuzzi in the temple, but we answered the biggest fucking mystery in all of human existence: what happens when you die."

That's a pretty solid point, really.

I mean for real. Hilarious that he/you mentions the Sayid thing which is one of my very few complaints about the story lol. For people who never watched season 6 again after the initial viewing I thought it's much better the second time around. Granted, I loved the ending from the start but I think it's even better when you already know what the flash-sideways is and the show doesn't have some of that crushing weight of expectations on it. I know I appreciated how thoroughly they really do answer the vast majority of things the second time around.

I was so deep into internet message boards during the OG run that I felt totally satisfied after the first watch. But to be fair, I watched every season again before the new one started. And I watched every episode of S2 twice before the next came out. So I was fulling IN it at the time.

And I totally agree with you. The show rewarded rewatching and conversation. That's the thing I loved most about it. And I too thought the ending was sublime. What a great sentiment. And the fact that I don't really have a connection to my blood family, so seeing someone embrace and move on with mostly their chosen family really hit me in the feels.

Found family is a huge theme for me. It's one of the big draws to Star Wars for me, too. I just love that.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 3:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
I loved the first few seasons. Loved some of the bizarre wtf is going on that came later. And barely paid attention to the final season.

But I wanna watch again.

DO IT! :luv:

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 3:12 pm 
The Master

I watched the first 2 (maybe 3) seasons on my Ipod. I'd stay up till 2 AM huddled in bed watching episode after episode on my ipod. I got an itunes gift card for christmas around that time and on a whim bought season 1 and 2 to watch.

i was so pumped to finally be able to watch on TV come season 3.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 3:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
I watched the first 2 (maybe 3) seasons on my Ipod. I'd stay up till 2 AM huddled in bed watching episode after episode on my ipod. I got an itunes gift card for christmas around that time and on a whim bought season 1 and 2 to watch.

That's awesome.

I missed S1 when it originally aired, too. I came home from work one night and the wife was watching a rerun of the S1 finale that was aired ahead of the S2 premiere. I had no interest in LOST when it first dropped. I thought it looked stupid. The wife was interested and wanted to try S2.

So I walk in the door and the first thing I see is basically the kidnapping of Walt. And I was like, 'WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS??!! THIS IS AMAZING!"

Then we started S2 that night, the night it originally aired and we never looked back. We went out and bought S1 on DVD and got caught up by I think the third episode of S2.

Then right before S3 aired we watched all of S1 and S2 again leading up to the premiere. And that remained the tradition until the end.

Fuck! That show was so good.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 3:21 pm 
mXn

I took a trip down to LA and must have watched S1 after the trip was booked.

I got my hands on DVD of S2 and brought that on the trip. Here I am visiting friends in sunny Los Angeles, cooped up in my friend’s apartment binging Lost.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 3:25 pm 

epilogue wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

But I wanna watch again.

DO IT! :luv:

On it :)

And it’s on Disney+ now or one of those channels on that app. Wont have to scour the charity shops looking for the dvd box sets this time. That was an ordeal but a treasure hunt and a fun one. Especially when I found one :)

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 4:01 pm 

epilogue wrote:
Strat wrote:

That's awesome.

I missed S1 when it originally aired, too. I came home from work one night and the wife was watching a rerun of the S1 finale that was aired ahead of the S2 premiere. I had no interest in LOST when it first dropped. I thought it looked stupid. The wife was interested and wanted to try S2.

So I walk in the door and the first thing I see is basically the kidnapping of Walt. And I was like, 'WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS??!! THIS IS AMAZING!"

Then we started S2 that night, the night it originally aired and we never looked back. We went out and bought S1 on DVD and got caught up by I think the third episode of S2.

Then right before S3 aired we watched all of S1 and S2 again leading up to the premiere. And that remained the tradition until the end.

Yeah I started live in season 2. I thought it looked stupid like some Castaway ripoff and I remember just endless commercials for the pilot and it annoyed me. Thankfully I found out I was wrong and binged S1 before S2 and then was live the rest of the way. We rewatched the entire series before each new season came out. So I'd only seen S6 once until we rewatched the whole series again in 2016/17. Can't wait to do it again before too long.

But yeah, complete and total obsession. It was wonderful. I have a strong suspicion that this will remain my favorite show forever, but I'm pretty much willing to guarantee that it will be my favorite TV experience ever.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 4:17 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Strat wrote:

That's awesome.

Yeah I started live in season 2. I thought it looked stupid like some Castaway ripoff and I remember just endless commercials for the pilot and it annoyed me. Thankfully I found out I was wrong and binged S1 before S2 and then was live the rest of the way. We rewatched the entire series before each new season came out. So I'd only seen S6 once until we rewatched the whole series again in 2016/17. Can't wait to do it again before too long.

But yeah, complete and total obsession. It was wonderful. I have a strong suspicion that this will remain my favorite show forever, but I'm pretty much willing to guarantee that it will be my favorite TV experience ever.

Game of Thrones is a close second in terms of experience, but yeah. It was so great to watch and discuss with friends. Perfectly timed to be mostly before tablets and phones that distract during viewing too.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 4:39 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:

Game of Thrones is a close second in terms of experience, but yeah. It was so great to watch and discuss with friends. Perfectly timed to be mostly before tablets and phones that distract during viewing too.

I can see that. I binged the whole series in like 4 weeks right before the last season so I only got to share in the "experience" of the final season. :|

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 4:57 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I can see that. I binged the whole series in like 4 weeks right before the last season so I only got to share in the "experience" of the final season. :|

You poor soul.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 6:29 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I continue to dislike how it wrapped up, but I don't regret the 6 years of fun leading up to the end.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 9:50 pm 

I know something about jj baby

You show him a cool idea. He’s goes yep. love it. Do it!
His people make a note if he likes it and that ends his involvement.
He might do a set visit. That’s about it.

Stop blaming him on your disappointment with Lost. And others.
He’s barely involved at all.

He just makes it happen money wise. That’s all.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 9:59 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

epilogue wrote:
And I totally agree with you. The show rewarded rewatching and conversation. That's the thing I loved most about it. And I too thought the ending was sublime. What a great sentiment. And the fact that I don't really have a connection to my blood family, so seeing someone embrace and move on with mostly their chosen family really hit me in the feels.

This may be some smudged hindsight but it seemed like the quality of online fan discourse around that time was much better than the general cesspool it's become today. Lost is probably the first show that was able to take advantage of the internet to develop an online fan culture like that.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 10:00 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
I know something about jj baby

You show him a cool idea. He’s goes yep. love it. Do it!
His people make a note if he likes it and that ends his involvement.
He might do a set visit. That’s about it.

Stop blaming him on your disappointment with Lost. And others.
He’s barely involved at all.

He just makes it happen money wise. That’s all.

I will happily lay blame on him (and Kennedy and Iger) for the SW sequel trilogy. The Last Jedi rules.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 27  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment