The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 4:46 am 
The Master

lol that was weak

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 4:49 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Stay normal out there my man.

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 12:09 pm 
slower than 82% of US

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Jorge wrote:
By that logic no two works by the same artist should be compared because they were made at different expertise/experience levels. It's okay to say that one is better

Yes and Saul is definitely better. I guess my point is more that context matters. Breaking Bad was great for its time.

Disagree. For everything that BB did well, it missed some key fundamentals of TV excellence: characters you could root for, and tight pacing/plot mechanics.

I loved the way the plot unfolded ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Characters you rooted for (even if they were antiheroes):
Walt
Jesse
Hank
Gomez
Mike

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 1:45 pm 
The Master

I never liked Jesse and hated Walt once he went full Heisenberg. Did anyone root for Hank or just view him as comic relief?

Much of the show felt like a slog for me: Basically everything with Jesse once he got a girlfriend, she died, he became depressed; and lots of stuff around Walt and Skyler’s relationship felt tedious and unrealistic — she could be conveniently dumb whenever the show needed her to be.

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 1:58 pm 
She / Her

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Jorge wrote:
By that logic no two works by the same artist should be compared because they were made at different expertise/experience levels. It's okay to say that one is better

Yes and Saul is definitely better. I guess my point is more that context matters. Breaking Bad was great for its time.

Disagree. For everything that BB did well, it missed some key fundamentals of TV excellence: characters you could root for, and tight pacing/plot mechanics.

I don't think a great piece of drama needs either of those things; I don't need to support characters, I just have to think they're interesting

and I like the often slow pacing of BB as it's just as much a family trauma saga as it is crime thriller

and yeah I think BCS has more zippy pacing often, because it's largely more overtly comedy thriller, but for me it's even slower than BB at points where I don't think that sluggish pace is even necessary; it comes off as pretentious, like Tolkien saying in 4 pages what he could've said in 4 sentences

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 2:08 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:
I never liked Jesse and hated Walt once he went full Heisenberg. Did anyone root for Hank or just view him as comic relief?

Much of the show felt like a slog for me: Basically everything with Jesse once he got a girlfriend, she died, he became depressed; and lots of stuff around Walt and Skyler’s relationship felt tedious and unrealistic — she could be conveniently dumb whenever the show needed her to be.

Hank is one of the few characters who holds up for me. He's loud and brash, but Dean Norris does a good job making the guy feel human underneath that. And Hank's arc make logical sense, his decisions and actions are reasonable

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 2:29 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Can't say that I fully approve of this BB backlash. The first two and a half seasons aren't great, but from the time Walt runs over those two drug dealers to the death of Gus, it's the most intense tv I've ever seen. I don't think it would reward a second viewing, but I still think it's a great show.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 2:30 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I also liked all the main characters, even Skyler.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 2:36 pm 

Its a very dark show that ends very badly for everyone, but it feels earned, unlike the many shows that try to rip it off. It's all driven by character flaws.

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 2:43 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

BurtReynolds wrote:

Now this shit is crazy.

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 2:44 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

There are many good and enjoyable things about it. It's just very silly and occasionally stupid

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 2:45 pm 

Ello Sailor wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Now this shit is crazy.

She's doing the best she can given the circumstances!

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 6:48 pm 
She / Her

BurtReynolds wrote:

#TeamSkyler

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 6:53 pm 
She / Her

Jorge wrote:
There are many good and enjoyable things about it. It's just very silly and occasionally stupid

if it's "comedy" at all, I think that's where the funny lies, and it seems very deliberately that way

it feels like Walt is living this bizarre, over the top narcissistic comedy of errors, while everyone around him is slowly having their lives ruined; the very silly and irresponsible is contrasted with the very serious and traumatized

that's my take, anyway! it's just a solid piece of genuine satire (not just something some dude has slapped the term "satire" onto just to defend it)

PostPosted: Sat August 13, 2022 11:02 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Ms Harmless wrote:
Jorge wrote:

if it's "comedy" at all, I think that's where the funny lies, and it seems very deliberately that way

it feels like Walt is living this bizarre, over the top narcissistic comedy of errors, while everyone around him is slowly having their lives ruined; the very silly and irresponsible is contrasted with the very serious and traumatized

that's my take, anyway! it's just a solid piece of genuine satire (not just something some dude has slapped the term "satire" onto just to defend it)

I’ve never seen BB called a satire and I’m not sure I would agree.

Your description of Walt does make me kind of view his story as someone who thinks they can control a wildfire cuz he does it successfully until he teams up with nazis

PostPosted: Sun August 14, 2022 12:20 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Not every social critique is a satire.

PostPosted: Sun August 14, 2022 2:00 am 
She / Her

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... call-saul/

PostPosted: Sun August 14, 2022 2:04 am 
She / Her

Mickey wrote:

thanks, I was not aware...

but I view Breaking Bad as satire, amongst other things

PostPosted: Sun August 14, 2022 2:07 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Ms Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:

thanks, I was not aware...

but I view Breaking Bad as satire, amongst other things

No problem, I'm always happy to help! :)

PostPosted: Sun August 14, 2022 2:13 am 
She / Her

Mecca wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Jorge wrote:

I’ve never seen BB called a satire and I’m not sure I would agree.

Your description of Walt does make me kind of view his story as someone who thinks they can control a wildfire cuz he does it successfully until he teams up with nazis

yeah, which is a Shakespearean tragedy and comedy of errors through and through; satirical in the truest sense

a satire doesn't have to be laugh-out-loud funny all the time, but it usually takes a knowingly over the top, hammy approach to dramatising its message, which in this case is essentially "pride comes before a fall" turned up to 11

tonally BB is all over the place but so is Gilligan; in X-Files he juxtaposed very dark and very funny all the time

I've seen BB talked about this way, but even if I hadn't, it's loud and clear to me

Last edited by Ms Harmless on Sun August 14, 2022 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 148  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment