The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Expanse (Books / SyFySeries)
PostPosted: Thu January 21, 2021 8:35 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Latest episode was good. With only two more to go, it really looks like the crew won't be united until the very endo of the season, setting up the final season. I hope they have Camina and Roberta joint the crew full time. Cara Gee is so badass.

That's kinda how the book went ... they were apart the whole time.

PostPosted: Fri January 22, 2021 10:50 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

The fact we haven't seen
Spoiler: show
Duarte
yet seems really odd to me. I'm wondering how far the final season will deviate from the latest book and whatever Franck and Abraham have planned for the final novel this year -- two episodes isn't a lot of runway to set up what's coming if they plan to stick to it.

Edit: although they kinda did the same thing with Inaros, introducing him at the last second as a lead-in to this season.

PostPosted: Fri January 22, 2021 11:00 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I really love this show

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2021 4:51 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

So how are the books, good? I've wanted to get into some science fiction, and although I read Dune a few months ago and liked it, I'm not interested in the whole series. I read the most recent Star Wars and it was meh. Would like to give something new a try, and when I read the background on this series, it sounded a bit like Exo-Squad, so I'm inteigued.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2021 5:06 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I've only read the first one, and it was very good. I wouldn't call it hard sci-fi, but it gets into the realities of space travel a lot more. I like the way it makes the factions sympathetic. It's definitely not Star Wars.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 4:22 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

This week's episode was available tonight for me so I watched it. Definitely going to be some unanswered questions with only one more episode to go

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 6:58 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
So how are the books, good? I've wanted to get into some science fiction, and although I read Dune a few months ago and liked it, I'm not interested in the whole series. I read the most recent Star Wars and it was meh. Would like to give something new a try, and when I read the background on this series, it sounded a bit like Exo-Squad, so I'm inteigued.

They’re excellent; highly recommend if you like the show.

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 7:04 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Are they trying to make me hate wolverine girl for a reason? Or will they just never mention that her hippy bullshit got a ton of people killed?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 7:11 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
Are they trying to make me hate wolverine girl for a reason? Or will they just never mention that her hippy bullshit got a ton of people killed?

Amos has done a lot of fucked up shit as well. Second chances are a valid thing, even for seemingly irredeemable behavior. Hard to get the needed nuance and supporting detail across onscreen versus what’s in the books.

PostPosted: Fri January 29, 2021 3:01 pm 

Why aren't more people watching this show?!

PostPosted: Fri January 29, 2021 3:15 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Ensign9 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

They’re excellent; highly recommend if you like the show.

Haven't seen the show, just interested in the books for now! Will hopefully start the first one today.

PostPosted: Fri January 29, 2021 5:08 pm 
AnalLog

I read the first book earlier this month and probably won't continue with the series. "Game of Thrones in space" intrigued me, but it's nowhere near that level. The last couple seasons of the GOT TV show, maybe. Characters are paper thin, motivations feel contrived, and the story, while fun, is about on par with a video game. The best thing it has going for it is the pacing (short chapters + tight writing), which at least makes it fly by. Maybe the show is better?

PostPosted: Wed February 03, 2021 4:29 am 

should recast him

PostPosted: Wed February 03, 2021 2:53 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

ghost wrote:
I read the first book earlier this month and probably won't continue with the series. "Game of Thrones in space" intrigued me, but it's nowhere near that level. The last couple seasons of the GOT TV show, maybe. Characters are paper thin, motivations feel contrived, and the story, while fun, is about on par with a video game. The best thing it has going for it is the pacing (short chapters + tight writing), which at least makes it fly by. Maybe the show is better?

Stick with it. I liked the first book but they get better (I think book 5 is widely regarded as the best at the moment). Lots of world-building and layers added on book by book that result in some really satisfying payoffs down the line.

PostPosted: Wed February 03, 2021 2:56 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
should recast him

I think this was the way to go. Recasting rarely works, especially in a situation where you need to have an emotional connection to the character. I thought they pulled it off reasonably well but it definitely felt like a bit of a shoehorn job.

PostPosted: Wed February 03, 2021 3:49 pm 

Was an ok finale. I wonder how

Marco plays into everything from here on out with next season's focus likely being on the protomolecule again.
Also, I hope Draper becomes part of the crew.

PostPosted: Thu February 04, 2021 3:15 am 

That whole Alex thing was weird

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 1:48 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'm about 20 chapters into the first book, and this is one thing I really like: if you haven't read the book, the chapters alternate between Miller and Holden's POVs. But they don't necessarily alternate chronologically--sometimes, something will happen in a Holden chapter and Miller won't comment on it until 3 of his chapters later. It's a really cool representation of the long distances between the characters and how much time travel/messages take.

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 1:51 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
That whole Alex thing was weird

I had to go back and watch it. It was so awkward that I didn't get what happened.

What did that actor do again?

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 6:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Nine books, but only one season left. Wonder how they will finish this. Perhaps just do book six, and f the rest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment