Re: Post Random Movie-Related Thoughts You Have

Fri March 08, 2019 1:09 am

Yes I’m enjoying it very much...I’m a sucker for stories like this

Fri March 08, 2019 1:14 am

The asshole boyfriend reminds me of my brother-in-law...too real, man

Sat March 09, 2019 3:12 am

I am watching The Favorite and every time I have to pause it, it looks like an album from the 70’s that I really need to hear.

Sat March 09, 2019 3:16 am

Oh my god the light bleed :cry:

Sat March 09, 2019 3:31 am

McParadigm wrote:I am watching The Favorite and every time I have to pause it, it looks like an album from the 70’s that I really need to hear.

You need to fix your set up, McP

Sat March 09, 2019 1:51 pm

I keep hearing people talk about - particularly in superhero movies - how diverse representation is important because kids need role models they can identify with.

I have a question though: when you were a kid, did you look to movies for role models?

This whole idea of aspirational cinema seems so alien to me. My relationship with movies as a kid was definitely not like people are suggesting with this narrative. I had people I looked up to in real life, but movie characters were just that to me - characters. I didn’t watch Star Wars because I wanted to emulate Luke Skywalker or something.

The whole conversation just seems odd.

Sat March 09, 2019 2:57 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:I keep hearing people talk about - particularly in superhero movies - how diverse representation is important because kids need role models they can identify with.

I have a question though: when you were a kid, did you look to movies for role models?

This whole idea of aspirational cinema seems so alien to me. My relationship with movies as a kid was definitely not like people are suggesting with this narrative. I had people I looked up to in real life, but movie characters were just that to me - characters. I didn’t watch Star Wars because I wanted to emulate Luke Skywalker or something.

I dont think as a child i ever consciously decided that I wanted to be like Luke Skywalker but i think on some level it was having that impact on me. Your brain isn't formed enough to understand or connect that dot but its making an impact on some level.

Sat March 09, 2019 2:58 pm

Even back then I guess I didn’t watch movies for characters or story, really. Maybe this is just specific to me?

Sat March 09, 2019 2:59 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:Even back then I guess I didn’t watch movies for characters or story, really. Maybe this is just specific to me?

That is the most LV LV post ever. Yes, it is probably very specific to you. lol

Sat March 09, 2019 3:00 pm

Darth Maul is the most aspirational SW character

Sat March 09, 2019 3:02 pm

that dudes got style

Sat March 09, 2019 3:09 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:I keep hearing people talk about - particularly in superhero movies - how diverse representation is important because kids need role models they can identify with.

I agree with you that the role models in movies talk is PC talk at its prime, maybe thats why i love when someone like lets say, Kenny Powers, comes along.

But i also know that its not for me to say that. If i chose or not to be represented in cinema didnt matter because that was happening already..maybe its important for other kids to have women, or asian or black guys doing those roles too. And its ok.

Sat March 09, 2019 3:15 pm

VinylGuy wrote:

I agree with you that the role models in movies talk is PC talk at its prime, maybe thats why i love when someone like lets say, Kenny Powers, comes along.

But i also know that its not for me to say that. If i chose or not to be represented in cinema didnt matter because that was happening already..maybe its important for other kids to have women, or asian or black guys doing those roles too. And its ok.

Yes, I fully acknowledge that as a straight white guy it’s entirely possible I never looked for representation because it was taken for granted.

But the degree to which representational diversity (across identity lines, not viewpoint lines, mind you) has come to dominate artistic discussion seems wildly out of proportion. I feel like I never hear ANYONE in the culture talking about, you know, the art itself anymore.

Sat March 09, 2019 3:20 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Yes, I fully acknowledge that as a straight white guy it’s entirely possible I never looked for representation because it was taken for granted.

But the degree to which representational diversity (across identity lines, not viewpoint lines, mind you) has come to dominate artistic discussion seems wildly out of proportion. I feel like I never hear ANYONE in the culture talking about, you know, the art itself anymore.

Oh yeah, i agree.
And its so harmful for the art, because it seems in this age art needs to represent no to provoke.

Sat March 09, 2019 3:31 pm

VinylGuy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Oh yeah, i agree.
And its so harmful for the art, because it seems in this age art needs to represent no to provoke.

Hollywood itself has maybe become cynical. Im all for women and people of color being represented at a much larger degree, but it seems rather disingenuous to remake movies with women, instead of ....you know....actually coming up with new and interesting art for them to take on.

Sat March 09, 2019 3:34 pm

The ¨gender remakes¨ are so fucking full of shit. What a lame excuse to make more money. To call that ¨important¨just for the sake of it its dangerous.

Sat March 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Generally I don't like to believe that people's gender and racial identities fundamentally limit their ability to form nuanced thoughts but the whiteness of this last page is really challenging that.

Sat March 09, 2019 8:14 pm

There's nothing whiter than a white boy calling out white people for their whiteness.
Post a reply