Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: Post Random Movie-Related Thoughts You Have

Wed May 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Cross-posting from the Ask LV thread. Short watch, but pretty interesting if you have an interest in cinematography.

tragabigzanda wrote:

Thu May 10, 2018 3:04 am

I want like ten more movies like Zodiac, Nightcrawler, and Get Out: Tense thrillers that never quite reach the point of being uncomfortably dark. Help me, RM.

Thu May 10, 2018 2:05 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:I want like ten more movies like Zodiac, Nightcrawler, and Get Out: Tense thrillers that never quite reach the point of being uncomfortably dark. Help me, RM.

have you seen dark city?

Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:I want like ten more movies like Zodiac, Nightcrawler, and Get Out: Tense thrillers that never quite reach the point of being uncomfortably dark. Help me, RM.

have you seen dark city?

i love that one, but you totally get what i'm going for.

Mon May 14, 2018 7:34 pm

While I've never loved Toby McGuire, after seeing him portrayed by Michael Cera in Molly's Game, then reading about Mcguire's antics that Cera's character was based on, I've decided I hate him.

Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 pm

That was a difficult sentence to process until I read the Wikipedia article.

Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 pm

bune wrote:That was a difficult sentence to process until I read the Wikipedia article.

Did you see Molly's Game. She claims the actor character (based on McGuire) told her that he doesn't need the money, he just likes destroying people's lives.

Mon May 14, 2018 8:04 pm

I did not, hence why I had to read the wiki. It's not really on my radar.

Sat May 19, 2018 1:53 am

thoughts?

Sat May 19, 2018 1:54 am

Pacific Rim Uprising was not very good

Sat May 19, 2018 2:43 am

tragabigzanda wrote:While I've never loved Toby McGuire, after seeing him portrayed by Michael Cera in Molly's Game, then reading about Mcguire's antics that Cera's character was based on, I've decided I hate him.

I was surprised too....but yeah seems Tobey is a real fucked up human being. Kinda enjoy that his career seems to be over these days.

Sat May 19, 2018 5:46 am

BurtReynolds wrote:thoughts?

Wed May 23, 2018 4:14 am

For my money, the T-Rex in the rain sequence in Jurassic Park has got to be the best special effects sequence ever. Practically seamless, almost always photorealistic, intense AF, constructed immaculately. Tippett’s animatronic work is astoundingly good. The moment when the animatronic Rex jerks its head downward after Tim slams the car door is just unbelievable. How they got something so big - and soaked with water - to move so quickly without displaying any unnatural, mechanical juddering is mindblowing. Leave it to a visualist like Spielberg and a DP like Dean Cundey to figure out how to perfectly light and color time a scene to blend CGI in a way that is almost undetectable - WHEN THE TECH WAS BRAND NEW. That’s an art that is STILL not well understood.

Wed May 23, 2018 4:17 am

LoathedVermin72 wrote:For my money, the T-Rex in the rain sequence in Jurassic Park has got to be the best special effects sequence ever. Practically seamless, almost always photorealistic, intense AF, constructed immaculately. Tippett’s animatronic work is astoundingly good. The moment when the animatronic Rex jerks its head downward after Tim slams the car door is just unbelievable. How they got something so big - and soaked with water - to move so quickly without displaying any unnatural, mechanical juddering is mindblowing. Leave it to a visualist like Spielberg and a DP like Dean Cundey to figure out how to perfectly light and color time a scene to blend CGI in a way that is almost undetectable - WHEN THE TECH WAS BRAND NEW. That’s an art that is STILL not well understood.

You just turned me on.

Wed May 23, 2018 4:51 am

Yeah that scene is awesome. One of those movie scenes where all the time and money involved actually made something perfect.

Wed May 23, 2018 12:41 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:For my money, the T-Rex in the rain sequence in Jurassic Park has got to be the best special effects sequence ever. Practically seamless, almost always photorealistic, intense AF, constructed immaculately. Tippett’s animatronic work is astoundingly good. The moment when the animatronic Rex jerks its head downward after Tim slams the car door is just unbelievable. How they got something so big - and soaked with water - to move so quickly without displaying any unnatural, mechanical juddering is mindblowing. Leave it to a visualist like Spielberg and a DP like Dean Cundey to figure out how to perfectly light and color time a scene to blend CGI in a way that is almost undetectable - WHEN THE TECH WAS BRAND NEW. That’s an art that is STILL not well understood.

I would actually totally agree with this.

Wed May 23, 2018 1:14 pm

its very well documented in the Spielberg doc..not the scene itself for how important that movie was in that moment.
I remember as a kid going to the movies and feeling exactly what those characters felt in the movie.

Wed May 23, 2018 1:53 pm

jurassic park probably has the most impressive effects i've seen

Wed May 23, 2018 2:09 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:jurassic park probably has the most impressive effects i've seen

I would agree with this too. Staggering. As much as the movie overall leaves me cold and wanting so much more, the effects are breathtaking and there are a couple of individual scenes that still blow me away.

Wed May 23, 2018 2:11 pm

It's amazing how well those effects have held up too! Movies that came much later look far more dated than Jurassic Park. They still look amazing. What a great movie too.
Post a reply