The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 379  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Movie-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 3:45 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Spoiler Alert: it is and it's transformative

Spoiler: show
I'm sure you'll hate it

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 3:45 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Just bought tickets to an IMAX showing of 2001 and I am HYPE

:?

lol. I’m hoping it’s not the Nolan 70mm “unrestored” bullshit

:shake:

Why :shake: ? I’d really prefer to see it how it was intended to look and sound, not mucked up by his awful, revisionist color timing and tin ear for sound mixes

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 3:47 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm sure you'll hate it

You saw it in 70mm. This is digital IMAX. It still hasn’t been confirmed that the new digital master is taken from his “unrestored” (I hate even typing that nonsense, ugh)...whatever it is.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 3:52 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm sure you'll hate it

You saw it in 70mm. This is digital IMAX. It still hasn’t been confirmed that the new digital master is taken from his “unrestored” (I hate even typing that nonsense, ugh)...whatever it is.

Ok. Maybe you're right. The quick Google search I did after I saw your post seemed to suggest otherwise. But whatever.

What I saw today was a revelation. And I have to believe the only reason you wouldn't appreciate it is because Nolan's name is tangentially involved. But I guess we'll never know for sure.

Either way, Kubrick's masterpiece deserves to be seen on a big screen. I know you'll value the experience because the movie is remarkable.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 3:59 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm sure you'll hate it

Ok. Maybe you're right. The quick Google search I did after I saw your post seemed to suggest otherwise. But whatever.

What I saw today was a revelation. And I have to believe the only reason you wouldn't appreciate it is because Nolan's name is tangentially involved. But I guess we'll never know for sure.

Either way, Kubrick's masterpiece deserves to be seen on a big screen. I know you'll value the experience because the movie is remarkable.

Joey, my reticence is not simply because his name is involved. It's because of a bunch of evidence and discussion I follow from people in the industry. Like Robert Harris, who knows just a little bit about film restoration and preservation.

But you don't have to be an expert to find it suspect that the famously white sets are now piss yellow.

Kubrick supervised 70mm prints that were struck in the '90s and they don't look anything like this in terms of color. This whole yellow and teal thing is a new trend in film restoration and it's fucking awful.

Of course I'm still thrilled I to finally see this incredible movie on the big screen, but I just wish it didn't have to be...like this.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 4:01 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah that's awful

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 4:02 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

But man, what a beautiful movie. Probably the best ever for me

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 4:11 am 
The Master

To be fair, it's not just Nolan with 2001. This has been happening to other movies lately. For instance, the original Terminator BD vs. the new restoration:

Original:

New:

Not the exact frame, but same scene. See how the new one has an unnatural teal push?

Or Criterion's new Bull Durham BD.

Original:

New:

Another new shot. Look at the weird blue coloring in the white uniform:

This trend is such a bummer because these new restorations are usually huge leaps above the old transfers in terms of detail, grain resolution, and video compression, but you have to deal with those hideous, revisionist colors to see those improvements. And to apply this to a monumental, visually revolutionary juggernaut like 2001? An absolute travesty.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 4:18 am 
The Master

yeah these all suck. thx for the lesson lv

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 12:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I suppose it's all about perception at the end of the day. I can only take your word that what I saw is what you posted. But while in the movie I didn't have any issue with the color at all. Nothing jumped out as different of worse than what I've seen a dozen other times. So at the end of the day... who cares. If the brain can't recognize it without a YouTube side by side, and the image is immaculate and powerful and one is lost in the moment... so what?

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 12:39 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Also, the space trip in the final act literally had me holding my breathe at times and literally brought tears to my eyes. I've waited my whole life to see/hear that scene in that way. Maybe the color was all fucked up during that too. But what I saw was so incredibly beautiful and magical and important to me that I'll never forget it.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 12:48 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I suppose it's all about perception at the end of the day. I can only take your word that what I saw is what you posted. But while in the movie I didn't have any issue with the color at all. Nothing jumped out as different of worse than what I've seen a dozen other times. So at the end of the day... who cares. If the brain can't recognize it without a YouTube side by side, and the image is immaculate and powerful and one is lost in the moment... so what?

This seems awfully solipsistic. Why would you think a brain can’t recognize it simply because you didn’t?

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 12:50 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Also, the space trip in the final act literally had me holding my breathe at times and literally brought tears to my eyes. I've waited my whole life to see/hear that scene in that way. Maybe the color was all fucked up during that too. But what I saw was so incredibly beautiful and magical and important to me that I'll never forget it.

Look, seeing a powerful movie like 2001 in a theater is likely going to be overwhelming no matter what the quality is like.

I saw Suspiria on a forty-year-old 35mm print that was faded, loaded with red push, speckled with constant damage, and had a soundtrack replete with pops and hiss. And it was still completely overpowering and made me cry a lot.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 12:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

This seems awfully solipsistic. Why would you think a brain can’t recognize it simply because you didn’t?

I was speaking about my brain, silly. I started the whole post with, "I suppose it's all about perception."

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 12:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Look, seeing a powerful movie like 2001 in a theater is likely going to be overwhelming no matter what the quality is like.

I saw Suspiria on a forty-year-old 35mm print that was faded, loaded with red push, speckled with constant damage, and had a soundtrack replete with pops and hiss. And it was still completely overpowering and made me cry a lot.

Then you get it.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 12:54 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I was speaking about my brain, silly. I started the whole post with, "I suppose it's all about perception."

It’s fine that it doesn’t matter to you, but as somebody who cares about film preservation, restoration, and home video presentation - it matters.

Last edited by LoathedVermin72 on Sat August 04, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 12:54 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Then you get it.

Yeah. This is why I’m excited to see it in IMAX regardless.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 1:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think a lot of people's eyes and color perception have been ruined by shitty, oversaturated cell phone screens.

I look at a Samsung or iPhone X screen and can't stand all the harsh colors.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 1:43 pm 
The Master

run2death wrote:
I think a lot of people's eyes and color perception have been ruined by shitty, oversaturated cell phone screens.

I look at a Samsung or iPhone X screen and can't stand all the harsh colors.

So much this. Then they have their TVs set to vibrant picture settings.

PostPosted: Sat August 04, 2018 2:23 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

It’s fine that it doesn’t matter to you, but as somebody who cares about film preservation, restoration, and home video presentation - it matters.

That wasn't really my point, but whatever.

I care about those things, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 379  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment