Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Board/Card Games

Mon July 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Anyone been playing fun board/card games? We have a group that has been playing the following once or twice a week or so.

-Dominion (just got it; really enjoying it)
-Settlers of Catan
-Qwirkle
-Ticket to Ride

What are some of your favorites?

Re: Board/Card Games

Mon July 28, 2014 2:08 pm

My wife and I have been enjoying Carcassonne for the past couple of years. I'm embarrassed by how many expansions we've bought :oops:

Mon July 28, 2014 2:25 pm

mf wrote:My wife and I have been enjoying Carcassonne for the past couple of years. I'm embarrassed by how many expansions we've bought :oops:

Don't be. I think in our group of 4 of 5 couples who play regularly we own all the expansions of Settlers of Catan twice over.

Mon July 28, 2014 2:33 pm

My family plays a few 5-6 hour games of Trivial Pursuit every summer (since adding in-laws, the games have just gotten longer). We've been playing the "Millennium" edition for years now, but after seeing this thread, I'm going to go buy an updated edition for my mom's birthday later this week!

Mon July 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Simple Torture wrote:My family plays a few 5-6 hour games of Trivial Pursuit every summer (since adding in-laws, the games have just gotten longer). We've been playing the "Millennium" edition for years now, but after seeing this thread, I'm going to go buy an updated edition for my mom's birthday later this week!

Do it!

Mon July 28, 2014 3:08 pm

We get together with my brother and sister-in-law quite often and play euchre for hours.

Mon July 28, 2014 3:11 pm

my wife and I play backgammon a lot

Mon July 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Really dig Dominion and Settlers of Catan. Played 3 games of Settlers last night (won 2 of them)

M_D, do you just have the traditional Dominion set or did you get any expansion packs? Some of the expansion packs are really good.

Mon July 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Ticket to Ride is alright, I'd rather play something else though.

Mon July 28, 2014 3:20 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:Really dig Dominion and Settlers of Catan. Played 3 games of Settlers last night (won 2 of them)

M_D, do you just have the traditional Dominion set or did you get any expansion packs? Some of the expansion packs are really good.

We just got Dominion a couple of weeks ago. Still on the traditional set, but we have already started researching expansion packs. Do you have a recommendation? I love how every game is different.

Have you ever played the 5-6 player expansion of Settlers? Makes the game more enjoyable to me because you can build every turn.

Mon July 28, 2014 3:23 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:Ticket to Ride is alright, I'd rather play something else though.

Ticket to Ride is a good game to play with people who don't want to think too much (i.e. parents) or kids.

Mon July 28, 2014 3:43 pm

mf wrote:My wife and I have been enjoying Carcassonne for the past couple of years. I'm embarrassed by how many expansions we've bought :oops:

whoa

Mon July 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:Really dig Dominion and Settlers of Catan. Played 3 games of Settlers last night (won 2 of them)

We just got Dominion a couple of weeks ago. Still on the traditional set, but we have already started researching expansion packs. Do you have a recommendation? I love how every game is different.

Have you ever played the 5-6 player expansion of Settlers? Makes the game more enjoyable to me because you can build every turn.

The traditional set is great. I recommend Hinterlands, Dark Ages, and Prosperity to add on though. I also tried Seaside but I never go back and play it.

At this point my friends and I keep a randomizer deck with just our favorite cards from each set and use that to choose our setup.

I haven't played the Settlers expansion pack though, will look into it. I actually prefer playing Settlers with 3 people instead of 4, leaves more room on the board.

Mon July 28, 2014 5:42 pm

This thread isn't what I expected it to be about.

Mon July 28, 2014 5:46 pm

What were you expecting, cribbage via posting?

Mon July 28, 2014 6:01 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:What were you expecting, cribbage via posting?

Mon July 28, 2014 6:06 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:What were you expecting, cribbage via posting?

I used to play that with my dad all the time.

Mon July 28, 2014 6:31 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

The traditional set is great. I recommend Hinterlands, Dark Ages, and Prosperity to add on though. I also tried Seaside but I never go back and play it.

At this point my friends and I keep a randomizer deck with just our favorite cards from each set and use that to choose our setup.

I haven't played the Settlers expansion pack though, will look into it. I actually prefer playing Settlers with 3 people instead of 4, leaves more room on the board.

I can see us using the Randomizer cards a lot more once we've played a few games with every card. So far I prefer the action cards that allow you to junk cards or upgrade them for better ones.

The 5-6 play expansion adds more tiles so it plays more like a 3-4 person game. The only difference is you have more trade partners and you can build on every turn.

Mon July 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I can see us using the Randomizer cards a lot more once we've played a few games with every card. So far I prefer the action cards that allow you to junk cards or upgrade them for better ones.

The 5-6 play expansion adds more tiles so it plays more like a 3-4 person game. The only difference is you have more trade partners and you can build on every turn.

Even with the expansions you still only play with 10 stacks of cards on the table.

Mon July 28, 2014 6:53 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Even with the expansions you still only play with 10 stacks of cards on the table.

Right, which makes the game a bit more consistent or fair than a game like Magic where everyone has their own deck.
Post a reply