The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: 2014 Emmys
PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 3:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Despite the fact that Season 2 of House of Cards wasn't great, Claire Underwood is the best character on TV.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 3:31 pm 
The Master

turned2black wrote:
Despite the fact that Season 2 of House of Cards wasn't great, Claire Underwood is the best character on TV.

She is one of them, but I hesitate to call her the best character.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 3:36 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Modern Family is garbage. yeah i said it.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 3:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:

Not as bad as The Big Bang Theory. I have no idea how that show is even remotely popular.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 4:17 pm 
The Master

tommymctom wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Not as bad as The Big Bang Theory. I have no idea how that show is even remotely popular.

That show is quite terrible.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 4:32 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The Hannibal snub is awful.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 4:42 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Too many top notch dramas.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 4:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

Monkey_Driven wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Too many top notch dramas.

Yeah, but Hannibal was far better than Downton Abbey and House of Cards. Also, how many Nominations did that piece of shit Newsroom get?

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 4:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Monkey_Driven wrote:
turned2black wrote:

She is one of them, but I hesitate to call her the best character.

I look forward to Claire taking down Francis at some point. That shit is gonna be epic.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 5:17 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:

is this a contentious claim?

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 5:22 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:

It's not what it once was, but it's got it's moments.

tommymctom wrote:

It's mind-boggling. BBT is not funny, not clever, not well acted, and the characters are not relatable to 99% of the TV viewing public. It's less watchable than the Friday night teen melodramas on the CW, but it continues to win awards and audience share.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 6:25 pm 
The Master

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... fus-727855 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 7:51 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Big final hurrah for Breaking Bad at True Detective's expense. I was expecting the latter to rake last night. I was surprised to see Modern Family do so well again; I like the show okay but it's not Emmy winning quality. Ty Burrell over Andre Braugher? I do like Jim Parsons but we've seen him before several times. That said Matt LeBlanc's was the only other straight comedic character in the catergory. Kathy Bates seemed genuinely shocked to win.
The Jimmy Fallon accepting Colbert's Emmy was pretty good for what seemed to be an impromtu moment. Seth Meyers was fine but bland. Sarah Silverman looked hooter-ific. I first thought McConaughey looked horrible but then realized when they went to audience shots the lighting was horrible for everyone. Jay Leno's been eating well since he got dumped from The Tonight Show. I didn't recognize Lena Dunham. Julia Roberts is showing her age & the blonde hair did not help.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 7:58 pm 
RM Elitist

Had Modern Family or Big Bang Theory NOT won awards in previous years, I guess I could see them winning some due to an ongoing popularity "lifetime achievement" type thing. But for them to continue to win awards is so dumb.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 8:00 pm 
The Master

seth meyers must look like a ghoul in person

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 8:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

What I Hate About America

NO ONE CAN SACRIFICE

Everybody’s for change, just as long as it doesn’t negatively impact them. They can’t lose their job, they can’t make less money, you’ve got to leave that to the march of capitalism, and then these same citizens cry to the government to protect them. Ugh.

Unless we’re all willing to work together on solutions that benefit us all, we’re screwed. How come in families we know compromise is king, but when it comes to politics, it’s taboo.

MONEY IS KING

If someone is rich, they’re admirable. Making money is the highest form of personal achievement, unless you’re poor, then you hate those with the cash.

Which way do you want to have it? Whatever you’ve got, that rules?

But the truth is money has ruined art. It doesn’t matter how good or bad something is, it’s all about how much money it makes. No, let me restate that, if it makes a ton of money, it’s good!

MISINFORMATION

We’re living in the information age people! Don’t trust the hearsay of your friends when all you have to do is Google to get the information.

And this is where it becomes complicated, the rich and powerful are all about information and truth. Sure, they try to bend it, but they know it and understand it. Which is why anybody with a brain wants to hang with the rich and powerful, they’re the only ones who know what’s going on!

CONFORMITY

Being a member of the group is paramount to the millennial. You don’t want to stick out, if you’re a social pariah you can’t participate on social media!

In the sixties, it was all about letting your freak flag fly. Now it’s about being just like everybody else.

Even in art. The millennials don’t want to do hard time honing their craft and converting skeptics one by one, they just want to imitate those who are successful, which is why so much art is me-too!

Yup, watch my YouTube cover, because I haven’t got a single original thing to say in my music.

THE FICTION THAT THE YOUNG RULE THE WORLD

Check the age of the people running Apple, or Amazon. And even the meisters at Google are now middle-aged. And kids aren’t always on to the new trend, especially if it’s about more than mugging. Oldsters embraced Twitter first.

PEOPLE WHO ONLY READ ONE NEWS SOURCE

It builds bias. Because most outlets have a viewpoint. Yours can only be informed if you get information from multiple sources.

GOVERNMENT’S REFUSAL TO INVEST IN AMERICA

Infrastructure is flagging, we could have put America to work repairing roads and bridges and sewers when interest rates were negligible and no one had a job. Instead, we’re gonna wait until the economy revives and we have to pay more for money and workers. This is a country? Why is it no one wants to believe we’re gonna get to the future?

MISPERCEPTION

Despite data being rampant, publicity rules. With so much information at our fingertips he who yells loudest usually convinces America he matters, even though in truth he might not, no one may be buying his product.

SKINNINESS

Sure, we have an obesity problem in America, but how about those oldsters shrinking by the minute? Especially women, who seem to believe if they don’t eat they’re better than the rest of us, even though they lack brainpower and the ability to move. Despite living in a foodie culture, the older and richer you are, the more food is taboo.

THE HORSE RACE

I had to hear about the 2016 election from the moment Obama was elected in 2012. It’s like our whole news media has been overrun by the sports page, who’s winning, who’s up, who’s down. It’s like debating how good the Yankees or the Packers will be three seasons from now, how much time do you want to waste on that?

PHONINESS

Kim Kardashian lies about having plastic surgery and her only goal is to extract dollars from our wallets. American commerce is too often built on lies. If you buy this it will make you beautiful and successful. From religion to cosmetics, everybody wants your money under the pretense that giving it to them will somehow make you better. But if you want to get better, read a book.

ARTISTS HAVE NO BACKBONE

Show up in Ferguson, write a song about it, take a stand. But you’re afraid to, afraid it’s going to turn off some theoretical segment of the public. When did artists become such wimps?

ENTITLEMENT

I’m all about entitlement programs, a safety net for Americans…health, homes and welfare. But don’t confuse this with the right to be a success. Just because you made it, that does not mean people have to buy it. Just because you put it on Spotify, that does not mean people have to stream it.

PRUDISHNESS

Everybody wants to do it, but you can’t talk about it, unless you’re in private with your friends or significant other. Sex has to be fiction, the same way truth has to be in cartoons. Because people just can’t handle naked bodies and desire.

THE CLICK ECONOMY

It’s like we’re all being tricked every day, and the profitable websites which are responsible for this cannot be criticized.

CORPORATIONS AS PEOPLE

People die. People have a social conscience. People don’t make every decision based on money (although with the veneration of companies, people have moved further in this direction.) Why is the number one goal of artists to get money from corporations? If they really think the money is free, they’ve never heard of the chilling effect, and they know nothing about economics…it’s hard to get money from companies, they want something in return, and they always get it.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2014/08/19/hate-america/

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 8:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 9:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Worst thing about last night was constant the Audi commercials. Reminded me this old joke:

What's the difference between a porcupine and an Audi?
Spoiler: show
With a porcupine, the pricks on the outside

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 10:49 pm 
The Master

hey, my dad drove an audi.

PostPosted: Tue August 26, 2014 10:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

When our old car died a few weeks back Mrs Rangi wanted us to get an Audi. We didn't though

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment