The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Leftovers (HBO)
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:15 am 
slower than 82% of US

malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
ok, i forgive them for the other episodes

is this because of the bathtub scene without a beard?

I figured spike or remod would ask that as soon as they started that scene, but honestly, i was thrilled it was one of the freaky bizzarro dead in an alternative reality shows, not that it made any more sense than the others (or just about any show from this series), but they've been the most entertaining. Funny, interesting, weird, baffling, all the best things about the show in general.

(i have to admit though, justin theroux has a bangin body, holy shit, all muscle and tendon. What the hell does this guy do to stay in that kind of shape? enter a triathlon every week?)

he's a pretty handsome man, mary.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:02 am 
The Master

Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:

I figured spike or remod would ask that as soon as they started that scene, but honestly, i was thrilled it was one of the freaky bizzarro dead in an alternative reality shows, not that it made any more sense than the others (or just about any show from this series), but they've been the most entertaining. Funny, interesting, weird, baffling, all the best things about the show in general.

(i have to admit though, justin theroux has a bangin body, holy shit, all muscle and tendon. What the hell does this guy do to stay in that kind of shape? enter a triathlon every week?)

apparently the whole penis scan gag was in reference to his rumored giant schlong as well

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:18 am 
slower than 82% of US

spike wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:

apparently the whole penis scan gag was in reference to his rumored giant schlong as well

well, you know what they say about guys with big noses...

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:07 am 
post-structuralist

spike wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:
Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:

for a sec i thought i was watching game of thrones

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 am 
slower than 82% of US

I kinda teared up when "God Only Knows" started playing

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 pm 
RM Elitist

Mecca wrote:

See, that was the worst moment of the episode for me. That song is way too associated with Big Love to work as quirky.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:55 pm 
slower than 82% of US

@SkitchP wrote:
Mecca wrote:

See, that was the worst moment of the episode for me. That song is way too associated with Big Love to work as quirky.

i just think its a beautiful song and never saw Big Love

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:49 pm 
post-structuralist

Was there a relevance to the song? I didn't understand why they used it

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 pm 
slower than 82% of US

malice wrote:

right before kevin "rips his own heart out" he says to himself "we fucked up with Nora"

PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 2:01 pm 
slower than 82% of US

I'm still confused as to why Laurie was suicidal unless her scuba diving was just a swerve to the audience.

PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 4:39 pm 
post-structuralist

Mecca wrote:
malice wrote:

right before kevin "rips his own heart out" he says to himself "we fucked up with Nora"

you know, after reading this, i was like: huh? But they replayed the episode last night, and i was mistaken. I thought it was the song evie sang not the one played while he was ripping out the key.

I don't know what the purpose was of that other song.

PostPosted: Mon June 05, 2017 5:35 am 
The Master

do you believe nora?

PostPosted: Mon June 05, 2017 11:22 am 
post-structuralist

spike wrote:
do you believe nora?

Yes

but mainly because it's following along with other pieces of the plotline, so was something of a letdown, i understand the symmetry they used to wrap it up without having to explain any of it. Made for a clean ending.
I don't think any possible ending would be satisfying though. They have too many loose ends left unaddressed. It's reminiscent of a good number of short stories I've read in science fiction, they end with something clean like that because the format often demands an immediate gratification . it's like the 30 minutes you spend watching the twilight zone, the endings were like that to pay the audience in the "oooh" factor keeping them satified without actually giving them anything substantial.

PostPosted: Mon June 05, 2017 6:47 pm 
The Master

I will miss this series dearly.

Sepinwall's recap is perfect at detailing why it was so special.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-leftovers-series-finale-recap-review-the-book-of-nora/3/

PostPosted: Mon June 05, 2017 8:27 pm 
post-structuralist

That's a great article. Thanks for posting the link

PostPosted: Mon June 05, 2017 8:47 pm 
RM Elitist

Monkey_Driven wrote:

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-leftovers-series-finale-recap-review-the-book-of-nora/3/

Yes I liked this article as well. However one thing I thought for a minute and I havent seen it discussed anywhere, and it could be just because I'm a dummy

I think a lot of the ambiguity regarding the end of the episode with Lauri and Scuba diving was set up entirely to make this episode as ambiguous as possible until the very end. In reality we saw Nora go under and then cut ahead 15 years with no mention of anything else that happened.

My take on it for a little while was that it could be the afterlife. There were no familiar faces to tie it to the timeline or real world. The only cast member we saw her interact with was Kevin (who has been to the afterlife on couple occasions) and Lauri... who last we saw was committing suicide. Even through the interactions at the wedding it was still left intentionally vague as to what was going on given that Kevin wouldn't break character- and mentioning things that happened, without showing them. Couple that with the heart attack that was mentioned it was possible Kevin had also died in the interim.. or just recently and thats why he had appeared to Nora so suddenly.

Obviously the conversation at the end removed that, but I wonder if that was a possibility we were supposed to be considering as a viewer.

FTR: I believe Nora. But that might just be because I want to.

Also very on in the episode I forget the context but I remember someone saying "Lost" and them letting it linger there for just an extra beat.

PostPosted: Tue June 06, 2017 12:07 am 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Yes I liked this article as well. However one thing I thought for a minute and I havent seen it discussed anywhere, and it could be just because I'm a dummy

I think a lot of the ambiguity regarding the end of the episode with Lauri and Scuba diving was set up entirely to make this episode as ambiguous as possible until the very end. In reality we saw Nora go under and then cut ahead 15 years with no mention of anything else that happened.

My take on it for a little while was that it could be the afterlife. There were no familiar faces to tie it to the timeline or real world. The only cast member we saw her interact with was Kevin (who has been to the afterlife on couple occasions) and Lauri... who last we saw was committing suicide. Even through the interactions at the wedding it was still left intentionally vague as to what was going on given that Kevin wouldn't break character- and mentioning things that happened, without showing them. Couple that with the heart attack that was mentioned it was possible Kevin had also died in the interim.. or just recently and thats why he had appeared to Nora so suddenly.

Obviously the conversation at the end removed that, but I wonder if that was a possibility we were supposed to be considering as a viewer.

FTR: I believe Nora. But that might just be because I want to.

Also very on in the episode I forget the context but I remember someone saying "Lost" and them letting it linger there for just an extra beat.

I was wondering the same thing during the episode.

PostPosted: Tue June 06, 2017 7:55 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Monkey_Driven wrote:

PostPosted: Tue June 06, 2017 8:03 pm 
The Master

Mecca wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

:nice:

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2017 1:21 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I watched the first season but bailed before it apparently got really good. With only 28 episodes I could probably On Demand it this summer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment