Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

TV: The Leftovers (HBO)

Tue May 06, 2014 2:47 am

Looks good, and its HBO. Promising.

Re: TV: The Leftovers (HBO)

Wed May 07, 2014 2:51 pm

The book is really lovely. And I'm a big Damon Lindelof fan. So, yes. I'm all in!

Thu May 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Ehhhh.

TV: The Leftovers (HBO)

Mon June 30, 2014 1:48 pm

What the hell is going on in this show? Why dress in white, not talk, and smoke cigs nonstop as a sign of protest?

Very confused. Mildly intrigued.

Mon June 30, 2014 1:53 pm

This is getting good write-ups. Haven't watched it yet, but it's on the list.

Mon June 30, 2014 1:55 pm

It's on DVR and will get a look tonight. With pretty good reviews from critics I'm going to give it a chance the next few weeks since I have lots of open space in my summer viewing now. Supposedly while there is an arc there's lot of stand alone stuff too, which is a plus for me.

Mon June 30, 2014 1:59 pm

I read the book a few years ago. Really great read.

The show is fantastic. Lights out pilot episode. Tremendous performances. Perfect mood. Atmospheric and strange. Heartbreaking.

Can't wait to see how the rest of the season turns out. I'm all in though, after the first episode.

Mon June 30, 2014 2:00 pm

15showsandcounting wrote:What the hell is going on in this show? Why dress in white, not talk, and smoke cigs nonstop as a sign of protest?

This will be explained. Or rather, it's explained in the book. So I'm pretty sure it'll show up on the show as well.

Mon June 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Recorded. Can't wait to check it out.

Mon June 30, 2014 5:07 pm

I guess I'll watch this.

Mon June 30, 2014 5:15 pm

:heartbeat:

Mon June 30, 2014 9:27 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
15showsandcounting wrote:What the hell is going on in this show? Why dress in white, not talk, and smoke cigs nonstop as a sign of protest?

This will be explained. Or rather, it's explained in the book. So I'm pretty sure it'll show up on the show as well.

Humor me in a spoiler, unless you think it's something worth waiting for.
Spoiler: show
I'd assume the smoking is some sort of we-don't-deserve-to-live symbolism.
Not talking - We won't speak til we truly know what happened?
All white possibly means they're peacefully protesting, since they were taking haymakers and just standing there.

Tue July 01, 2014 12:05 am

my thought after watching: "was that good?"

I'm interested enough to stick with it though

Tue July 01, 2014 12:15 am

Will this be one season? I didn't know there was a book. I avoided it because of Lindelhof. Still feel burned by Lost.

Tue July 01, 2014 1:28 pm

daft twat wrote:Will this be one season? I didn't know there was a book. I avoided it because of Lindelhof. Still feel burned by Lost.

You need to get over it. It's been 4 years. :lol:

Tue July 01, 2014 4:23 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
daft twat wrote:Will this be one season? I didn't know there was a book. I avoided it because of Lindelhof. Still feel burned by Lost.

You need to get over it. It's been 4 years. :lol:

Especially if you liked all of/most of/any of LOST before the finale.

This is Lindelof without network restrictions. And Peter Berg is involved. Lindelof and Berg managed to create two of the best network series' of all time. I can't wait to see what they do on HBO.

It already feels like it could be something special. But we're just getting started. It could fly off the rails just as easily.

Tue July 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Yeah, this was pretty good. It's weird because I'm not sure what kind of show I'm watching - the pilot is a little dreamlike, with some rough spots. But I did enjoy it. I'm a sucker for mystical deers, I guess.

It's going to have an uphill battle not getting too maudlin and soap opera-y though.

On a side note, I normally read the reviews on AV Club, then peruse the comments at leisure, because they're generally a level above your average YouTube comment. But for this it's almost entirely "I hate Lindelof for Lost". Boring. I hope everybody gets that out of their system moving forward.

Tue July 01, 2014 10:46 pm

It will never happen. I'll never understand it, either. But I imagine I'll be hearing a variation of those words for the rest of my life.

Tue July 01, 2014 10:46 pm

If anything, it's a pretty big compliment for LOST. I don't hear that kind of thing about any other show. Including The Sopranos.

Wed July 02, 2014 4:29 pm

I read that Lindelof is still upset about the reaction to the Lost finale and that this show would shy away from the supernatural and focus more on the impact of losing so many people and how that affects the people still on Earth.

Loved the pilot. I'm all in on this one.
Post a reply