The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Leftovers (HBO)
PostPosted: Wed December 18, 2019 9:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Totally. Well said.

PostPosted: Wed December 18, 2019 9:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Done with Season 2!

PostPosted: Wed December 18, 2019 10:51 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Dscans wrote:
I'll spoil this for those who are catching up.

Spoiler: show
This is not a show about science fiction. The Leftovers is a show about how people respond to tragedy, so it's important to understand what I mean by tragedy.

Tragedy is something that does not make rational sense. It is absurd. It is what talking heads on TV talk about when they describe something as a "senseless act of violence" because it makes no sense to us.

The best example is the Sandy Hook shooting. A young man took his gun and killed 20-something children whom he did not know. That sentence makes no goddamn sense. He gained no utility from that act.

Not only was this act terrifying because we can empathize with those parents, it was terrifying because it brought down the illusion of order in our world. It showed us that things that make no sense can happen to anyone.

The way people respond to this type of tragedy is by creating a story. Some choose the story of easy access to guns. For some it's a lack of mental health support. For others it's violent video games or drugs or social isolation. None of these stories really make the tragedy make sense, but they are a better story then senselessness.

My favorite example was a Facebook post from my old boss. A strong-faith Christian man, he wrote about how God was with those Sandy Hook children when they died. It didn't make sense, but I could tell he put a lot of thought into it and it helped him process the tragedy and retain his faith.

In The Leftovers, it makes sense that church attendance would see a decline. The departure was so senseless, that people stopped being able to believe in something that helped their lives make sense. The Matt Jamison character works so hard to find dirt on the departed because he has to believe that they were taken for a reason.

But for most people it wasn't enough, so they began to create their own stories: the Guilty Remnant, Holy Wayne, the Eddie Winslow character, and Miracle, Texas. Even holdouts like Kevin Garvey eventually began to believe he was the second coming of Christ. Nora was the only character who refused to write her own fiction. She even made it her mission to expose frauds.

It also makes sense that the protagonist was a cop, someone who's role was to maintain order in the face is increasing disorder as people clung to crazier ideas to try and make sense of what happened.

The finale wasn't a story about Nora finding out what happened to her family. It was about her finally creating her own story. If you pay attention, her tale concludes that her family is actually better off wherever they are. Self-delusion is the path to comfort and happiness in the face of tragedy. The awareness of senselessness will drown you. She had to find the perfect story to be able to move on and start her new life with Kevin.

You should post here more often. :thumbsup:

I'm like Dion Waiters. In just ten minutes of playing time I'll get you 12 points, 4 boards, and 3 steals. But there's a reason I'm not a starter.

PostPosted: Wed December 18, 2019 11:56 pm 
The Master

Dscans wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Dscans wrote:

This is not a show about science fiction. The Leftovers is a show about how people respond to tragedy, so it's important to understand what I mean by tragedy.

Tragedy is something that does not make rational sense. It is absurd. It is what talking heads on TV talk about when they describe something as a "senseless act of violence" because it makes no sense to us.

The best example is the Sandy Hook shooting. A young man took his gun and killed 20-something children whom he did not know. That sentence makes no goddamn sense. He gained no utility from that act.

Not only was this act terrifying because we can empathize with those parents, it was terrifying because it brought down the illusion of order in our world. It showed us that things that make no sense can happen to anyone.

The way people respond to this type of tragedy is by creating a story. Some choose the story of easy access to guns. For some it's a lack of mental health support. For others it's violent video games or drugs or social isolation. None of these stories really make the tragedy make sense, but they are a better story then senselessness.

My favorite example was a Facebook post from my old boss. A strong-faith Christian man, he wrote about how God was with those Sandy Hook children when they died. It didn't make sense, but I could tell he put a lot of thought into it and it helped him process the tragedy and retain his faith.

In The Leftovers, it makes sense that church attendance would see a decline. The departure was so senseless, that people stopped being able to believe in something that helped their lives make sense. The Matt Jamison character works so hard to find dirt on the departed because he has to believe that they were taken for a reason.

But for most people it wasn't enough, so they began to create their own stories: the Guilty Remnant, Holy Wayne, the Eddie Winslow character, and Miracle, Texas. Even holdouts like Kevin Garvey eventually began to believe he was the second coming of Christ. Nora was the only character who refused to write her own fiction. She even made it her mission to expose frauds.

It also makes sense that the protagonist was a cop, someone who's role was to maintain order in the face is increasing disorder as people clung to crazier ideas to try and make sense of what happened.

The finale wasn't a story about Nora finding out what happened to her family. It was about her finally creating her own story. If you pay attention, her tale concludes that her family is actually better off wherever they are. Self-delusion is the path to comfort and happiness in the face of tragedy. The awareness of senselessness will drown you. She had to find the perfect story to be able to move on and start her new life with Kevin.

I'm like Dion Waiters. In just ten minutes of playing time I'll get you 12 points, 4 boards, and 3 steals. But there's a reason I'm not a starter.

Minus the gummies?

PostPosted: Thu December 19, 2019 12:00 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Dscans wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Dscans wrote:

I listen to the Rewatchables too.

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2019 8:55 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Dscans wrote:

I figured, if anyone, you would get that reference.

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2019 5:11 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Dscans wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Dscans wrote:

Mark Linn-Baker had like 4 threes in 6 minutes, good god. His cameo reminded me a bit of Billy Dee Williams' appearance in Lost: I had an lol moment when I first was like, "Look, it's Cousin Larry!" but after 5 minutes it was like no other actor in the world could've been in that role.

I finished the finale tonight (Merry Christmas to me!) and all I want to do now is write write write, but we've got two kids with fevers over 101, so maybe some other time.

PostPosted: Fri December 27, 2019 6:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Dscans wrote:

Mark Linn-Baker had like 4 threes in 6 minutes, good god. His cameo reminded me a bit of Billy Dee Williams' appearance in Lost: I had an lol moment when I first was like, "Look, it's Cousin Larry!" but after 5 minutes it was like no other actor in the world could've been in that role.

I finished the finale tonight (Merry Christmas to me!) and all I want to do now is write write write, but we've got two kids with fevers over 101, so maybe some other time.

Excited to hear more detailed thoughts should time allow.

PostPosted: Tue June 23, 2020 1:03 am 
RM Elitist

Rewatching this now and Carrie Coon is a damned treasure from the jump

PostPosted: Tue June 23, 2020 1:09 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Oh, shit; I never responded to Joey's post from December.

PostPosted: Tue June 23, 2020 1:12 am 
RM Elitist

Simple Torture wrote:

Oh, we noticed.

Get Writing.

PostPosted: Tue June 23, 2020 7:54 pm 
slower than 82% of US

@SkitchP wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Oh, we noticed.

Get Writing.

I was just about to introduce articles of permabanning too

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 1:53 am 
Looks Like a Cat

@SkitchP wrote:
Rewatching this now and Carrie Coon is a damned treasure from the jump

I saw a play here in Chicago about 6 months ago (Bug) and she was completely naked for a large part of the play. It was weird, but she was amazing.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 6:18 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bug is a play written by her husband, Tracy Letts. It's a fantastic play and I'm jealous that you got to see Carrie in it. I bet she ripped the fucking roof off the place.

I saw both Letts and Coon play Broadway together in a revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? back in 2012. That was the first time I'd see Carrie on stage and she goddamn stole the show.

She's an absolute treasure.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 9:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
Bug is a play written by her husband, Tracy Letts. It's a fantastic play and I'm jealous that you got to see Carrie in it. I bet she ripped the fucking roof off the place.

I saw both Letts and Coon play Broadway together in a revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? back in 2012. That was the first time I'd see Carrie on stage and she goddamn stole the show.

She's an absolute treasure.

i read that after i saw the play (about her husband). it was really mesmerizing. and you're right, she's a treasure. so good.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 11:34 am 
RM Elitist

The first season is way funnier than I remembered. And Theroux doesn't get enough credit

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 7:32 pm 
slower than 82% of US

@SkitchP wrote:
The first season is way funnier than I remembered. And Theroux doesn't get enough credit

Big dick energy

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 7:36 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I should revisit; I only got midway through season 2.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 4:59 am 
Rank This Poster

I finished this tonight, and thus feel safe to come into this thread....while it's not my favorite show, the final season of this show is one of the most powerful experiences I've had watching television, and it's an outstanding example of what the format of TV is able to accomplish in contrast with film. There's not much I can add that hasn't been said; Carrie Coon was extraordinary, and the finale was perfect in a season full of perfect episodes.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 11:49 am 
The Master

Ok ok ok...

I’ve made my preconceived notions about this show clear. But I’ve been kept awake this evening but high anxiety — general/parental, pandemic/political, and existential/mid-life crisis — and I threw on the pilot at 4am and loved it. Sort of shocking how many themes touched on things I’ve been feeling lately.

Liv Tyler is a bad actor and I’ve already feen burned by Lost, so I’m curbing my enthusiasm, but the first hour was way better than I expected it to be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment