The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Last Week Tonight
PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 1:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 7:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 9:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon June 19, 2017 3:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 5:54 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I think anyone who watched this past episode saw this coming...

John Oliver, HBO Sued for Defamation by Coal Executive

HBO’s “Last Week Tonight” was hit with a defamation lawsuit by Murray Energy Corporation CEO Robert Murray after host John Oliver spent much of Sunday’s show bashing the coal executive.

The complaint says the show’s segment was “false, injurious, and defamatory,” and an “attempt to advance their biases against the coal industry and their disdain for the coal-related policies of the Trump Administration,” according to Dan Abrams’ LawNewz.

The suit names producer Charles Wilson, HBO, and parent company Time Warner, Inc., according to Law Newz. The sites also reported that the suit claims Time Warner “is widely reported as a top ten donor of Hillary Clinton” and the former Democratic presidential candidate has “an agenda of putting coal miners and companies out of business.”

Murray’s lawyers preemptively sent a cease and desist letter Oliver’s way prior to the show. Of course, the threat of litigation merely made the “Daily Show” alum double-down on Murray’s treatment of his employees.

Part of Oliver’s segment featured a clip of an interview with Murray after a fatal mine collapse that the executive blamed on an earthquake. Oliver said Murray continued to blame the earthquake after an investigation said that was not the cause. However, the lawsuit claims the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration’s report essentially coincided with Murray’s claim that an earthquake caused the collapse, according to LawNewz.

The lawsuit alleges that Oliver “intentionally, falsely, and outrageously” said that Murray’s claim was false despite producers being aware of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration’s report, according to LawNewz.

Oliver is well aware of Murray’s history of litigation and said, “I know that you are probably going to sue me, but you know what? I stand by everything I said,” during the segment.

HBO issued the following statement to LawNewz: “While we have not seen the complaint, we have confidence in the staff of Last Week Tonight and do not believe anything in the show this week violated Mr. Murray’s or Murray Energy’s rights.”

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 6:34 pm 
The Master

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
I think anyone who watched this past episode saw this coming...

John Oliver, HBO Sued for Defamation by Coal Executive

HBO’s “Last Week Tonight” was hit with a defamation lawsuit by Murray Energy Corporation CEO Robert Murray after host John Oliver spent much of Sunday’s show bashing the coal executive.

The complaint says the show’s segment was “false, injurious, and defamatory,” and an “attempt to advance their biases against the coal industry and their disdain for the coal-related policies of the Trump Administration,” according to Dan Abrams’ LawNewz.

The suit names producer Charles Wilson, HBO, and parent company Time Warner, Inc., according to Law Newz. The sites also reported that the suit claims Time Warner “is widely reported as a top ten donor of Hillary Clinton” and the former Democratic presidential candidate has “an agenda of putting coal miners and companies out of business.”

Murray’s lawyers preemptively sent a cease and desist letter Oliver’s way prior to the show. Of course, the threat of litigation merely made the “Daily Show” alum double-down on Murray’s treatment of his employees.

Part of Oliver’s segment featured a clip of an interview with Murray after a fatal mine collapse that the executive blamed on an earthquake. Oliver said Murray continued to blame the earthquake after an investigation said that was not the cause. However, the lawsuit claims the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration’s report essentially coincided with Murray’s claim that an earthquake caused the collapse, according to LawNewz.

The lawsuit alleges that Oliver “intentionally, falsely, and outrageously” said that Murray’s claim was false despite producers being aware of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration’s report, according to LawNewz.

Oliver is well aware of Murray’s history of litigation and said, “I know that you are probably going to sue me, but you know what? I stand by everything I said,” during the segment.

HBO issued the following statement to LawNewz: “While we have not seen the complaint, we have confidence in the staff of Last Week Tonight and do not believe anything in the show this week violated Mr. Murray’s or Murray Energy’s rights.”

Yea im assuming they spent time on their segment protecting themselves from any real danger in a suit. This will be funny on sunday night.

PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2017 6:01 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

HBO fought off the Scientology lawyers. This clown is going to get shit on in a lawsuit.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 8:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 6:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu July 06, 2017 3:13 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon July 24, 2017 6:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Coal Baron Attempts to Halt Critical 'Last Week Tonight' Rebroadcast

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 3:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 4:27 pm 
post-structuralist

The alex jones segment was insane

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 7:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

its fuckin scary he actually has a viewership.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:40 am 
Poster of the Year

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/televis ... story.html

Quote:
ACLU sides with John Oliver on coal CEO’s suit: ‘Anyone can legally say, “Eat (expletive), Bob!”’

You might say the ACLU isn’t happy about coal CEO Bob Murray’s lawsuit targeting HBO host John Oliver.

The West Virginia chapter of the organization filed a scathing amicus brief in support of Oliver on Tuesday, calling the lawsuit “nuts” and arguing that “anyone can legally say, ‘eat (expletive), Bob.’”

The ACLU took particular offense to the request for a court order barring rebroadcasts of the “Last Week Tonight” segment, which aired in June and skewered Murray’s coal company, Murray Energy.

“Bob Murray thinks John Oliver was mean to him, and he doesn’t want him to be mean again. While that is sad for Bob Murray, it is unconstitutional for a court to order such relief,” ACLU lawyers wrote in the brief.

Adding insult to injury, the ACLU countered Murray’s objection to being called “a geriatric Dr. Evil” by noting that “truth is an absolute defense to a claim of defamation,” and included the side-by-side photo comparison featured in Oliver’s show for good measure.

In footnotes, the ACLU called it a “striking physical resemblance.”

Back in June, Murray Energy sued HBO and John Oliver for financial damages and a court order barring rebroadcasts of what it called a ‘‘false and malicious” segment.

Oliver’s June ‘‘Last Week Tonight’’ segment criticized the Trump administration’s effort to revive the coal industry, saying the number of coal jobs has dropped for decades and other energy alternatives are driving the industry’s decline.

He ribbed Murray, who blames regulatory efforts by the Obama administration for damaging the industry, and noted that the company had fought against coal safety regulations.

In its lawsuit, Murray Energy claimed that Oliver tried to embarrass Murray by making fun of his age and appearance, and made false statements about a 2007 collapse of a Utah mine, when nine miners died. The company also said Oliver ignored information it sent the show that it says showed an earthquake caused the mine’s collapse, and that the show made no mention of ‘‘the efforts Mr. Murray personally made to save the trapped miners.’’

For his part, Oliver has not commented on the lawsuit, except to say he “desperately” wanted to talk about it, but was advised not to.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 8:56 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Stickman wrote:

The side by side "weight loss" pics were hilarious.

You're redder. And wearing a belt. It looks like you walked 2 hours shirtless in the sun to a belt store.

PostPosted: Tue August 15, 2017 3:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment