The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Film: A walk in the woods(Bill Bryson)
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:10 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

This is my favourtie Bryson book, it's hysterical...turns out theyre making it into a movie

Oscar winner Mary Steenburgen has been cast in A Walk In The Woods, adapted from Bill Bryson’s best-selling memoir. The story tracks an aging travel writer who decides to hike the 2,000-mile Appalachian Trail, accompanied by a long-estranged high school buddy he’s been avoiding for years. Larry Charles previously was attached to direct; now He’s Just Not That Into You helmer Ken Kwapis is at the helm of the pic, which stars Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, Nick Offerman, Kristen Schaal, and Emma Thompson. Wildwood Enterprises and Route One Films are backing the road-trip comedy, adapted by Oscar-winning scribe Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3). Steenburgen will play an alluring motel proprietress named Jeannie who tempts Bryson (Redford) when he and Katz (Nolte) stop into her establishment for the night.

A Walk In the Woods is produced by Redford with Bill Holderman and Chip Diggins. Jay Stern and Russell Levine of Route One Films, Lee Jea Woo of Union Investment Partners, and Jeremiah Samuels are exec producers. Steenburgen recently starred in CBS Films’ Last Vegas and Sundance indie Song One. She’ll return to the cast of FX’s Justified for its sixth and final season reprising her role as Katherine Hale. She’s repped by UTA and Management 360. South Korea’s Union Investment Partners co-financed the project with Route One Films, and IM Global is repping international sales through its Acclaim label.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/mary-st ... the-woods/

Post subject: Re: Film: A walk in the woods(Bill Bryson)
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:46 pm 
The Beef

It doesn't quite match up to Notes From a Big Country for sheer hilarity, but this is definitely my second favourite Bryson. I'm hoping for a pleasant, fun film with some beautiful shots. I like that cast - I assume Schaal is going to be the annoying lady they meet on the trail? Can't remember her name.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:55 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

is it marcy? he described that whole thing so perfectly...weve all met those people before

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:11 pm 
The Beef

Mary-Ellen. Thanks, Google.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

Oh man, I love Bill Bryson, but this is kind of a weird move. I almost feel like this would work better as a miniseries or something.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:34 pm 
The Beef

I dunno, I think this could make a really nice little buddy-road movie. Kind of like an amiable, lower-stakes version of Into The Wild without stupid teenaged angst or smug Sean Penn directing.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment