Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: TV: Fargo

Fri June 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:There's also the thing where no motion sensors pick up on the female cop.

Oh, I love that. There's a short story by Roberto Bolano about how his son tries to train himself to be invisible to those sorts of sensors, and it's always stuck with me for some reason.

The story is called "I Can't Read" and is in the book The Secret of Evil, btw.

Fri June 09, 2017 2:28 am

Last night's episode was just great; I knew they weren't going to just introduce deaf guy to kill him! My only quibble was that Sy's poisoning was the most obvious poisoning in the history of poisonings, but I'm not surprised he didn't realize it in his state. I gotta wonder if Nikki and Deaf Guy are actually fucking with Emmit or if he just grew a mustache out of some weird stress thing; the stamp stuff could've definitely been Varga. Emmit palming the pills was just baller. Shaping up to be a great final two hours!

Fri June 09, 2017 2:53 am

They didn't introduce the deaf guy last night! He's the deaf guy from season one. Finally some explicit connection!

Fri June 09, 2017 3:20 am

The Argonaut wrote:They didn't introduce the deaf guy last night! He's the deaf guy from season one. Finally some explicit connection!

What I meant was: they couldn't have brought him on last week's episode (with his classic drum intro) just to have him die in the bus crash; I had a feeling he was going to play a part.

So far, he's the only character to appear in all three seasons. Right?

Fri June 09, 2017 3:23 am

That's what it says when I google it.

Fri June 09, 2017 3:32 am

A couple of good Coen film references last night. The bar in the bowling alley is set up similarly in The Big Lebowski. It's even shot the same way as the end of that film, with the reveal of the older guy sitting next to our character. That guy gives her a kitten and says "Ray is the cat", an awkward phrasing reminiscent of the classic line from Inside Llewyn Davis: "Llewyn is the cat."

Fri June 09, 2017 3:42 am

Ray Wise was great casting, giving the scene a Twin Peaks-y vibe, too.

The VW made me think of the private eye in TBL, too.

Sat June 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Motherfuckers, I just got into this show!

http://www.avclub.com/article/noah-hawl ... lMarketing

Sun June 11, 2017 5:44 am

The newest episode of this was badass as all fuck, one of the best of the whole series for me.

Mon June 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Just started this. I want Carrie Coon to be in everything.

Thu June 15, 2017 4:10 am

Great episode tonight.

Thu June 15, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm enjoying season 3 so much.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character is a great, dark, anti-hero and I love the way Mr. Wrench from season 1 is seamlessly introduced.

The bowling alley as a kind of purgatory was a great, classic 'Coen brothers' touch.

Not ready for the season to end.

Fri June 16, 2017 5:35 pm

I think Season 3 is coming together really well. It improves with each episode.

Fri June 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Great season that took a little too long to hit its stride. The bar scene in the most recent episode between the two female cops was the most humanizing part yet, but we didn't get it until Ep9.

Fri June 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Wish I had the same enthusiasm for this season as I did for the previous two. But, it really hasn't been nearly as engaging to me. It is still good, but not "must-see" good.

Fri June 16, 2017 11:24 pm

EJ wrote:Wish I had the same enthusiasm for this season as I did for the previous two. But, it really hasn't been nearly as engaging to me. It is still good, but not "must-see" good.

That seems to be the vibe. I'm digging it (4 episodes in) but I get the lack of enthusiasm.

Sat June 17, 2017 2:26 pm

This season has gotten a lot better towards the end. I'm looking forward to the finale next week.
And yes, Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character fortunes have been a roller coaster this season. Hers the plotline I'm most interested in seeing how it resolves. And if we will find out any more about David Thewlis' character.

Mon June 19, 2017 6:03 am

Varga is one of the nastiest, most repugnant motherfuckers ever put to screen. And I can't get enough of it.

Mon June 19, 2017 10:57 am

Jammer XCI wrote:Varga is one of the nastiest, most repugnant motherfuckers ever put to screen. And I can't get enough of it.

Just realized yesterday that he's Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter movies. Wow!

Tue June 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Finished episode 6 last night. Did not see that coming so soon.
Post a reply