Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

TV: Fargo

Thu April 17, 2014 12:09 am

Anyone watch this last night?

I really liked it. Good atmosphere and some really good performances. It did take some time to get used to Martin Freeman's accent, though.

Re: TV: Fargo

Thu April 17, 2014 12:30 am

Haven't watched it yet but certainly plan to.

Thu April 17, 2014 12:35 am

Yes, it was excellent. Paid good homage to the movie and although it's early, it seems like it will have legs. Love the casting too.

Thu April 17, 2014 2:03 pm

On the DVR. Still need to watch.

Thu April 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:On the DVR. Still need to watch.

Get on it.

Thu April 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Imma curl up on the couch and watch it tonight!

Thu April 17, 2014 3:37 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:Imma curl up on the couch and watch it tonight!

Thu April 17, 2014 3:38 pm

theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:Imma curl up on the couch and watch it tonight!

Aw huh

Thu April 17, 2014 3:43 pm

tommymctom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:On the DVR. Still need to watch.

Get on it.

Waiting for the wife to return from a business trip.

Fri April 18, 2014 2:49 am

Watched it for Martin Freeman. I live in Minnesota. The exaggerated accent drives me nuts. Everything else about the show felt right. I enjoyed the show, but I must admit,

Spoiler: show
the cop, who was about to be a father, getting killed spoiled my enjoyment. I know good people die too, but I was kind of hoping to just see a string of assholes get what's coming to them.

Fri April 18, 2014 11:56 am

I have always wondered. Do people in Minnesota really sound like that?

Fri April 18, 2014 3:07 pm

lowlight79 wrote:I have always wondered. Do people in Minnesota really sound like that?

:|
Like I said, it's exaggerated. Phrases like, "oh, geez" and, "yeah, you betcha" can be heard, but we are cognizant of when we say that shit, and if you came here and heard accents as pronounced from a minnesotan, there is a 100% chance he or she is putting it on to be funny. We do have accents, though, and the southern and more metropolitan part of the state speaks with less affectation.

Fri April 18, 2014 4:31 pm

daft twat wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:I have always wondered. Do people in Minnesota really sound like that?

Like I said, it's exaggerated. Phrases like, "oh, geez" and, "yeah, you betcha" can be heard, but we are cognizant of when we say that shit, and if you came here and heard accents as pronounced from a minnesotan, there is a 100% chance he or she is putting it on to be funny. We do have accents, though, and the southern and more metropolitan part of the state speaks with less affectation.

Ya?

Fri April 18, 2014 4:45 pm

I liked it. The cast is on point. Great performances. The tone is right. At times the writing was a little too... Coen-lite. It felt like an approximation or a best attempt at a Coen Brothers impression at time. But it didn't ruin anything for me. Just took me out once or twice, mostly when they directly lifted a line from the film. Overall, I enjoyed it. Laughed my ass off and felt the tension. Again, the cast kills it. I'll definitely keep watching.

Oh! Also loved the little nods to other CB films. Like White Russians being on the specials board. A little cloying perhaps, but a nice touch that I appreciated.

Fri April 18, 2014 4:55 pm

daft twat wrote:

Experience dictates that the supposed Minnesotan accent is virtually non-existent up to at least the state's geographical midpoint. I've never ventured into the northern counties, so I can't say beyond that.

I never once noticed it in traveling through North Dakota, either.

Fri April 18, 2014 6:52 pm

I correctly guessed somebody being from Minnesota while talking to them in Chile, based on nothing but pop culture depictions of that accent. Of course it exists.

Sun April 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Two people just picked up tickets from me at the box office. The gentleman had a Minnesota driver's license. Guess what he sounded like.

Mon April 28, 2014 7:52 am

Almost finished the first episode. This is excellent.

Mon April 28, 2014 2:18 pm

The second episode did not disappoint.

Tue April 29, 2014 12:29 am

Not a way I want to die, Dumped into a whole in ice with the with my legs and arms ducktaped.
Post a reply