Re: HBO: Silicon Valley

Mon April 09, 2018 4:17 am

This show is still so good

Mon April 09, 2018 4:17 am

This show is still so good

Tue April 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Consistently enjoyable with an occasional laugh out loud gag. But I never think of this as one of my favorite shows. Maybe if I worked in the tech industry, or better yet binged watch, I would like it more.

Tue April 10, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm liking this season more than last so far.

Tue April 10, 2018 1:31 pm

This show's problem has always been Thomas Middleditch: unfunny, unsympathetic, highly annoying. Everyone else is really funny though. I watch it each week, but it's easily my least favorite Mike Judge project (excluding the short-lived Goode Family), and it's entirely because of Middleditch.

Tue April 10, 2018 1:36 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:This show's problem has always been Thomas Middleditch: unfunny, unsympathetic, highly annoying. Everyone else is really funny though. I watch it each week, but it's easily my least favorite Mike Judge project (excluding the short-lived Goode Family), and it's entirely because of Middleditch.

I can see that. He's not easy to like on the show, making it hard to root for him and his cause. The supporting cast is pretty good though, and it's the industry I'm in, so a lot of it hits close for me.

Tue April 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Man, I love Tommy MiddleD. He's been one of the best comedy bang bang guests over the last few years.

Tue April 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I was just referencing the show. Outside of it, I don't know much of his work other than commercials.

Tue April 10, 2018 3:35 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:This show's problem has always been Thomas Middleditch: unfunny, unsympathetic, highly annoying. Everyone else is really funny though. I watch it each week, but it's easily my least favorite Mike Judge project (excluding the short-lived Goode Family), and it's entirely because of Middleditch.

yeah i'm not a fan of his either. but his character enables the other, greater characters really well.

i haven't missed Erlich one bit yet.

Tue April 10, 2018 3:36 pm

My wife is officially out on this show due to his character. A shame because everything else is great.

Tue April 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:

My wife is officially out on this show due to his character. A shame because everything else is great.

It's true, even the side characters are awesome.

Tue April 10, 2018 3:42 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

It's true, even the side characters are awesome.

I have a friend who is Gilfoyle or Gilfoyle is him?

Tue April 10, 2018 4:03 pm

I have to disagree. Thomas Middleditch is really funny on the show. His performance is grounded in this strange, nuanced way that allows the rest of the characters and the universe they live in to be as off and insane as they are. He's great and the show wouldn't work without him.

Tue April 10, 2018 4:06 pm

The Argonaut wrote:I have to disagree. Thomas Middleditch is really funny on the show. His performance is grounded in this strange, nuanced way that allows the rest of the characters and the universe they live in to be as off and insane as they are. He's great and the show wouldn't work without him.

I agree that his performance works for the show's goals, and he serves as a competent nucleus around which the other characters fly. But that doesn't change the fact I find him to be annoying as fuck. I hope he follows Erhlich to Tibet.

Tue April 10, 2018 4:11 pm

OK, I can see that one would find him annoying. I see that as part of his charm in the show, though. It works for me

Tue April 10, 2018 4:17 pm

The Argonaut wrote:OK, I can see that one would find him annoying. I see that as part of his charm in the show, though. It works for me

same, though I’ve only seen the first two seasons

Tue April 10, 2018 4:43 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:I have to disagree. Thomas Middleditch is really funny on the show. His performance is grounded in this strange, nuanced way that allows the rest of the characters and the universe they live in to be as off and insane as they are. He's great and the show wouldn't work without him.

I agree that his performance works for the show's goals, and he serves as a competent nucleus around which the other characters fly. But that doesn't change the fact I find him to be annoying as fuck. I hope he follows Erhlich to Tibet.

Annoying, yes, but for me the problem is how little his character has changed over the course of the show.

Tue April 10, 2018 4:46 pm

None of the characters have changed

Tue April 10, 2018 4:48 pm

The Argonaut wrote:None of the characters have changed

True, but the other characters are funny. I feel like you've seen one season and you've seen them all.

Mon May 14, 2018 3:50 am

Tonight was the season finale. I was really worried that this was the end for this show, but season six is confirmed.
Post a reply