Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: R.I.P.

Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 am

Also, Black Christmas was her best role.

Tue May 15, 2018 2:10 am

Goddamn Family Guy is somehow always even worse than I remember

Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 am

theplatypus wrote:Goddamn Family Guy is somehow always even worse than I remember

you have terrible taste in comedies

Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 am

Damn. They got Glenn Branca. :|

Tue May 15, 2018 3:25 am

washing machine wrote:Damn. They got Glenn Branca. :|

On the plus side, any one of his albums will make great funeral music.

Tue May 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Tom Wolfe :(

Tue May 15, 2018 4:02 pm

she Was in an amazing film with gene wilder set in Dublin in the 60s. Well worth looking up. It’s on YouTube

Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Tom Wolfe :(

Ever seen De Palma’s adaptation of Bonfire?

Tue May 15, 2018 5:01 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Never have, I hear it's awful.

Tue May 15, 2018 5:03 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I fucking love it. You should give it a shot. It’s quite prescient.

Tue May 15, 2018 5:06 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I fucking love it. You should give it a shot. It’s quite prescient.

well damn. I'll check it out.

Tue May 15, 2018 5:15 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

It's great!

Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

It's great!

I SAID I WOULD CHECK IT OUT

Tue May 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Yeah. I think of it this way: no Tom Wolfe, no Bonfire of the Vanities, no Brian de Palma-filmed version of Bonfire of the Vanities, no The Devil's Candy: The Bonfire of the Vanities Goes to Hollywood, Julie Salamon's absolutely stellar 1992 book covering the production of said film start to stop, in doing so not only providing a general snapshot of time and place but an all too perfectly telling meditation on power, structural bias, sexism and much more in Hollywood. So even if he hadn't done anything else in his career, Tom Wolfe and his damned white suits brought some good to the world.

Tue May 15, 2018 5:24 pm

theplatypus wrote:Yeah. I think of it this way: no Tom Wolfe, no Bonfire of the Vanities, no Brian de Palma-filmed version of Bonfire of the Vanities, no The Devil's Candy: The Bonfire of the Vanities Goes to Hollywood, Julie Salamon's absolutely stellar 1992 book covering the production of said film start to stop, in doing so not only providing a general snapshot of time and place but an all too perfectly telling meditation on power, structural bias, sexism and much more in Hollywood. So even if he hadn't done anything else in his career, Tom Wolfe and his damned white suits brought some good to the world.

Never even heard of this, but it sounds great. Will see if my library has it before ordering a used copy on Amazon. Thanks jorg.

Tue May 15, 2018 7:20 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

It's great!

I SAID I WOULD CHECK IT OUT

GOOD

Tue May 15, 2018 7:21 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:Yeah. I think of it this way: no Tom Wolfe, no Bonfire of the Vanities, no Brian de Palma-filmed version of Bonfire of the Vanities, no The Devil's Candy: The Bonfire of the Vanities Goes to Hollywood, Julie Salamon's absolutely stellar 1992 book covering the production of said film start to stop, in doing so not only providing a general snapshot of time and place but an all too perfectly telling meditation on power, structural bias, sexism and much more in Hollywood. So even if he hadn't done anything else in his career, Tom Wolfe and his damned white suits brought some good to the world.

Never even heard of this, but it sounds great. Will see if my library has it before ordering a used copy on Amazon. Thanks jorg.

Support the author and pay for the fucking book, trag.

Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

But my taxes have already paid for the library to procure it for me.

Tue May 15, 2018 8:53 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

But my taxes have already paid for the library to procure it for me.

The library is fine. I meant "used copy" from Amazon.

Wed May 23, 2018 3:33 am

Philip Roth :(
Post a reply