The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 277  Next
 Post subject: Re: R.I.P.
PostPosted: Sat September 29, 2018 5:13 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

Marty Balin :(

PostPosted: Sun November 04, 2018 10:38 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

WTF! Roy Hargrove :( :( This is so sad

Quote:
questlove The Great Roy Hargrove. He is literally the one man horn section I hear in my head when I think about music. To watch him harmonize with himself stacking nine horn lines on mamouth 10 mins songs RARELY rewinding to figure out what he did. Or not even contemplating what the harmony was (this is up there with Jay Z never writes his rhymes territory) —-like you can hear an incomplete Dangelo song once—-like an 11 min song—-and then in 20 secs you know the EXACT SPOT ON line to bob in and weave out?!!!! I know I’ve spoken in every aspect of Soulquarian era recording techniques but even I can’t properly document how crucial and spot on Roy was with his craft man. We NEVER gave him instructions: just played the song and watched him go —-like “come back in 45 mins I’ll have something” matter of fact now that I think of it —-I was so amped to put handclaps on @Common’s #ColdBlooded @JamesPoyser and i didn’t even take proper time out to approve what he worked on, it was like I already knew. So when you hear us SCREAMING/laughing at the 1:51 mark (me/com/d/rahzel/james) that’s us MIND BLOWN at another #Game6 esque performance from Roy. And all that stuff towards the end? We just reacting in real time to greatness. Such a key component. And a beautiful cat man. Love to the immortal timeless genius that will forever be Roy Hargrove y’all. #RoyHargroveRip

Here's the whole writing:

https://nicholaspayton.wordpress.com/20 ... -hargrove/

Quote:
My Soul Brother, Roy Hargrove…

Y’all don’t even understand. I lost my spirit brother today. I remember I first started hearing about this dude when I was around 12-years-old. When I would hang out and get lessons from Wynton Marsalis, he would tell me about this cat around my age from Texas by the name of Roy Hargrove who was a prodigy like me. I didn’t meet him face-to-face for another 4 years or so, but as you can imagine, the excitement built in my mind. Who is this little mothafucka playing as much horn as me? In my mind, I was the only one. When we first met, I felt like I had reunited with my long, lost soul brother. I felt so much love for him instantly. Much in the same way I locked eyes with my son for the first time, there was a kindred feeling of family present from the jump.

Years later, Wynton had this series he started at Lincoln Center called the Battle Royale. He pit Roy and I against each other on the old standard called “Just Friends.” How ironic. Haha… Anyway, if you can find that tape anywhere, you’ll hear perhaps the most heated trumpet battle you’ve ever heard in your life. We loved each other, but we were going for blood. The vibe in the room was electric and it was very clear who the next two trumpet stars on the scene were to be.

That event signaled the start of the music industry doing everything in its power to create of web of conflict between the two of us. And like brothers, we fought over everything: the same record company, the same gigs, the same women. We kept each other in check and made each other our best selves. I couldn’t go anywhere without him right there. Even my big Grammy night when I thought I would one up him, he won his first Grammy the same night. That little mothafucka! lol

[Another trumpet battle of note is one at Berklee the night after we won our first Grammys]

There aren’t many relationships like ours in the world. The closest I can think of is that of Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas, or even better, Phife and Tip. The world got the best of the best because we both existed. And now he’s gone. It’s just me and it hurts beyond belief.

With every note, this brother dripped soul. In every phrase, he never let you forget you were listening to a Black man playing that horn. He inspires me to no end.

Right after the big flood of 2005 in New Orleans, I was estranged in his home state Texas for a few months while NOLA was still in disrepair. Roy called me to New York to participate in his series at the Jazz Gallery called, “The Trumpet Shall Sound.” This was also one of many of our legendary trumpet battles. With the exception of a head nod outside of a hotel in NYC 2007, I hadn’t seen or spoken to Roy until about 2017 at a session at the Zinc Bar. Those who knew Roy know that he could often be very shy and quiet, almost aloof sometimes. I went up to him and said, “Wassup?” and he barely blinked. I was like, “Okay,” and went about my business. A little backstory: If you know anything about my history, you’d know that throughout the ’90s, I was often hailed as the Second Coming of Armstrong, something I’d come to love and loathe. Back to Zinc: After speaking to Roy, I got onstage to sit in. When I walked back to my seat, Roy came up to me with his eyes wide as pies (a rare occurrence, hehe) and said, “Pops came back!” I just burst out laughing and gave him some dap and a hug.

That night sparked a series of late night hangs we would have, often shutting the jam sessions down. I’d jump around on different instruments or he’d play his horn or trumpet or sing and we’d play songs hardly anybody knew. I really admired Roy for being a staple at those sessions. He often expressed frustration at the lack of fundamentals many of the current crop of young musicians exhibited these days, but he stayed in the trenches many a night, imparting to the young ones what our elders imparted to us.

I often say two things changed the New York City Straight-Ahead music scene: Art Blakey passing and Bradley’s closing. Now I have to add a third, the departure of Roy Hargrove. New York will not be the same without you and neither will I.

#BAM

-Nicholas Payton aka The Savior of Archaic Pop

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 5:50 pm 
Poster of the Year

Where on the Joe Perry watch now.

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 7:28 pm 
Major Dude

Joe Perry? What’s going on with him?

PostPosted: Sun November 11, 2018 8:12 pm 
Poster of the Year

False alarm. He's awake and could be out of the hospital later today.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/11/11/joe-perry ... arden-msg/

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 7:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Stan Lee. This sucks, but has been on the cards for a while now

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 7:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

RIP

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 7:37 pm 
Major Dude

Rangi Guy wrote:
Stan Lee. This sucks, but has been on the cards for a while now

Yeah. RIP Stan

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 8:05 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Aw man :( Excelsior RIP

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 8:09 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:

I always looked forward to finding his cameos in every film. I hope they can keep it up some how. Even pictures of him on billboards. So sad.

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 9:14 pm 

doone wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I always looked forward to finding his cameos in every film. I hope they can keep it up some how. Even pictures of him on billboards. So sad.

Apparently his next three or four cameos have already been filmed, so there’s that.

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 10:17 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Assuming that he was already filmed for Avengers 4, that's a good one to go out on.

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 10:18 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Also, his cameo in Teen Titans Go To The Movies was pretty great.

"I don't care if it's a DC movie. I just love cameos! Excelsior!"

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 11:06 pm 

Great night to rewatch this. Dinner for five with Stan Lee Mark Hamill JJ Abrams Kevin Smith and Jason Lee

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 11:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm going to go home and read all the fan mail sections of my old Marvel comics tonight.

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 11:52 pm 

Just read a letter from him printed in the mail bag section talking about equality and defeating racism bullying and intolerance and how they have no place in comics or the real world.

Guy was a treasure.

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 11:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

That mail bag section was great.

PostPosted: Mon November 12, 2018 11:59 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

'Nuff said

PostPosted: Tue November 13, 2018 5:29 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Shit, first Stan Lee now Spike Lee? They're dropping like flies.
B wrote:
Assuming that he was already filmed for Avengers 4, that's a good one to go out on.

PostPosted: Wed November 14, 2018 2:05 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 277  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment