The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calling All Comic Geeks!
PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 1:48 pm 
Major Dude

So, I'm diving back into some superhero stuff from both Marvel and DC. I got the first 3 issues of both the new Avengers and new Justice League titles. Started Avengers last night. Overall story seems pretty cool after 2 issues, but I really, REALLY dislike the "1,000,000 years ago stand-ins for current characters" bit they've thrown in. And even more than that, I hate the fact Odin is wielding Mjolnir back then. He made/ had made the fucking hammer FOR Thor. It's not a family heirloom. And why does Thor have a golden arm and hammer? (There was also a reference to him having many hammers that I didn't understand.)

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 1:53 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

bune wrote:
sort-of related: I would love for this to happen to more unproduced screenplays.

They did that for the Dark Crystal sequel that never got off the ground.

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 1:59 pm 

wease wrote:
Started Avengers last night. Overall story seems pretty cool after 2 issues, but I really, REALLY dislike the "1,000,000 years ago stand-ins for current characters" bit they've thrown in. And even more than that, I hate the fact Odin is wielding Mjolnir back then. He made/ had made the fucking hammer FOR Thor. It's not a family heirloom. And why does Thor have a golden arm and hammer? (There was also a reference to him having many hammers that I didn't understand.)

Yeah you jumped into something several years in the making. To get the full effect you'd have to read Jason Aaron's entire Thor run (which is awesome) or read the wiki entries. Marvel Norse Mythology differs (sometimes greatly) from the traditional and as is often the case in comics it gets changed often.

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 2:33 pm 
Major Dude

bada wrote:
wease wrote:
Started Avengers last night. Overall story seems pretty cool after 2 issues, but I really, REALLY dislike the "1,000,000 years ago stand-ins for current characters" bit they've thrown in. And even more than that, I hate the fact Odin is wielding Mjolnir back then. He made/ had made the fucking hammer FOR Thor. It's not a family heirloom. And why does Thor have a golden arm and hammer? (There was also a reference to him having many hammers that I didn't understand.)

Marvel Norse Mythology differs (sometimes greatly) from the traditional and as is often the case in comics it gets changed often.

Oh, I realize that. I just don't like how they've changed what they established long ago. I did read the Thor miniseries where he's looking for the Ultimate Thor hammer. Unworthy maybe? It was pretty good, but he had a black arm in that (and I don't know why).

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 3:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

bada wrote:
bune wrote:
sort-of related: I would love for this to happen to more unproduced screenplays.

Oh yeah. I read a bunch of Dark Crystal stuff last year and that seems like one of the books. I remember thinking it was just OK so it makes sense they didn't make it into a film.

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 3:18 pm 
Major Dude

bune wrote:
bada wrote:
bune wrote:

Oh yeah. I read a bunch of Dark Crystal stuff last year and that seems like one of the books. I remember thinking it was just OK so it makes sense they didn't make it into a film.

Didn't they do that for a Frank Miller Robocop movie a few years back?

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 3:20 pm 

You just need to go through this and all your questions will be answered. :D

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/profile/haerondir/lists/1472/jason-aarons-thor-reading-order

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 3:25 pm 
Major Dude

bada wrote:

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/profile/haerondir/lists/1472/jason-aarons-thor-reading-order

Hey, thanks!

Dammit. Blocked on my work computer. To the Batphone!

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 3:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

wease wrote:
bune wrote:
bada wrote:
bune wrote:

Didn't they do that for a Frank Miller Robocop movie a few years back?

Did they? *googles*

Awesome. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 6:10 pm 

wease wrote:
bada wrote:

Hey, thanks!

Sorry I thought those had synopsis of each issue but I guess its just a tease blurb.

PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 7:04 pm 
Major Dude

bada wrote:
wease wrote:
bada wrote:

Hey, thanks!

Sorry I thought those had synopsis of each issue but I guess its just a tease blurb.

Yeah. I saw that earlier. Thanks, tho.

PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 7:18 pm 

What If? coming back for some one shots this fall!

Quote:
Marvel has announced a new series of What If? one-shots which revive the concept of the publisher's classic series that examines alternate outcomes for famous storylines, and alternate versions of well-known characters.

The six one-shots will focus on Spider-Man, Magik, Ghost Rider, Thor, the X-Men, and the Punisher, and will release throughout October.

Here are Marvel's descriptions of the five one-shots, along with the covers (courtesy of Marvel.com).

Marvel Comics
What If? Spider-Man #1
Written by Gerry Conway with art by Diego Olortegui and a cover by Patch Zircher, the questions are asked...what if Peter Parker wasn’t the one bitten by the radioactive spider? What if the person who got bit was someone who didn’t live by the mantra of “with great power comes great responsibility”? What if that person was an egotistical bully who was only interested in taking care of himself?
What if…Flash Thompson became Spider-Man? Find out on October 3.

Marvel Comics
What If? Magik #1
Brought to life by writer Leah Williams, artist Filipe Andrade, and with a cover by Jeff Dekal, Illyana Rasputin enters a new reality on October 31. Before she was Magik, Illyana was just a kid whom Limbo chewed up and spit out seven years older. So it’s no surprise that, at 15, she wants nothing to do with the X-Men...nothing to do with the New Mutants...and nothing to do with her own powers. It’s not even surprising that she runs away...but where—and who—she ends up? Well, that’s something you’ve never seen before.
"Illyana Rasputin deserves better," explains book editor Annalise Bissa. "As much as we all love a character who’s been aged up, down, grown up under the thumb of demons, watched her parents die, died herself, come back, been evil, been good again, had more power changes than you can shake a stick at...any X-Fan might start to wonder who Magik would be in a world where her mutation isn’t ruled by these crazy ups and downs—where she has the chance to embrace her power early and grow from there, this is the book for you. If you like Magik, magic, or any other word for all things mystical and mysterious and maybe a little bit murderous, read WHAT IF? MAGIK #1."

Marvel Comics
What If? Ghost Rider #1
On October 17, writer Sebastian Girner, artist Caspar Wijngaard, and cover artist Aleksi Briclot, present WHAT IF? GHOST RIDER #1.You’ve only heard whispers of this real-world/Marvel Universe crossover until now, when moral decline and budgetary shortfalls have combined to lower our lawyers’ resistance! Sebastian Girner and Caspar Wijngaard recklessly bring you the tale of the first and only true Nordic black metal band to visit the Marvel Universe through the insanity of likeness release waivers! What role does Ghost Rider Robbie Reyes play, and will your mind survive the brutality!? Editor Kathleen Wisneski says, "Before you read this comic, you’re going to need THREE things, friends. ONE: an extra pair of pants. TWO: some kind of eyeball apparatus designed to keep your eyeballs INSIDE your head. THREE: your mom on speed-dial. We are serving you pants-off and eyeballs-out levels of horror and shock, and if ANYONE has a chance to call you back from the ledge of insanity that this comic will lift you to, then ABANDON you upon, it’s your momma. If she’s read it first, you can hold hands on your way DOWN INTO THE ABYSS!" Oh boy.

Marvel Comics
What If? Thor #1
Written by Ethan Sacks with art by Michele Bandini and a cover by Marco Checchetto, the Odinson experiences a new reality on October 24.
When young Thor's father falls to the King of Giants, his life is forever changed. He’s ripped from Asgard to be raised in a world of persistent winter, learning the brutal way of life in Jotenheim. But how does the runt of the giants, Loki, feel about his new stepbrother? Find out in WHAT IF? THOR #1.

Marvel Comics
What If? X-Men #1
On October 3, writer Bryan Edward Hill, artists Neil Edwards and Giannis Milonogiannis, and cover artist Rahzzah bring you WHAT IF? X-MEN #1. From the publisher that gave you OLD MAN LOGAN and HOUSE OF M...witness the X-Men as you never imagined! Welcome to the EXE/scape, a digital wonderland of business and pleasure accessible to anyone with the social (or monetary) capital for the bio-mods needed to log in... Or you can bypass all of that by being born carrying an .EXE/gene! But circumventing the login regulations is exactly what got the likes of Charles Xavier and his .EXE/men banned and driven underground in the first place... Free-roamers u/Domino and u/Cable have taken every dirty job there is on the ‘scape, but when a simple data scrubbing job turns bad, the life of bio-mod magnate Erik Lehnsherr hangs in the balance, and with it, their very society... Editor Chris Robinson keeps the pitch short and sweet: "The most life-changing comic since VENOM #1. Speculators take note." Boom.

Marvel Comics
What If? Punisher #1
Written by Carl Potts with art by Juanan Ramirez and a cover by Christopher Stevens, WHAT IF? THE PUNISHER #1 hits on October 10. When Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben is ruthlessly killed by a burglar that Peter let escape, he vows to never let the same fate befall another innocent bystander. From then on, he stands as a figure of cold retribution. Criminals beware – the guilty caught in this spider’s web will be punished. But will Parker stand triumphant…or shattered by this twist of fate? The friendly neighborhood takes a different turn in this WHAT IF? adventure, positing a very different sense of responsibility for the man who will be known as the Punisher, as his battles against villains like the Green Goblin take a new path! "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT…PUNISHMENT?! PUNISHER and SPIDER-MAN are two very, very different characters, but could they be two sides of the same coin?" asks editor Mark Basso. "They’re fueled by different philosophies and use different methods, but how many kicks to the other side does it take to turn a Peter Parker into THE PUNISHER!? Everything you think you think you know (not a typo!) about your favorite heroes and anti-heroes will change after you read this book!"

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 3:41 pm 

It's been a rumor but its official Grant Morrison takes over Green Lantern in November. Should be fun. I've been off Green Lantern for a while now.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 3:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

wow that's some...uh...art.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 2:13 pm 

Some cool covers from October '18 DC Solicitations.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 1:56 pm 

Some cool covers from Marvel Oct '18 Solicitations.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 2:26 pm 

Some cool covers from Nov '18 DC Solicitations.

Post subject: Re: Saga
PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 11:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bought volume 8 yesterday. Still love it.

Volume 9 is out October 2nd.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 12:33 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, 8 was great. really cool.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 2:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Is that the fruit stripe zebra

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 83  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment